SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm going to Iceland! - I'm back, Pics on Pg 2.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm going to Iceland! - I'm back, Pics on Pg 2. Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
Iceland has been on the bucket list for a while, and we snagged tickets during WOW Airline's Christmas sale for 50% off. Roundtrip flights, nonstop, from LAX to KEF, including 1 large checked suitcase on both legs, $603. For BOTH the wife and I. Boom. Done.

So, anyone have any tips/tricks/things to see off the beaten path for Iceland in Winter?

We're renting an AWD vehicle with studded tires. Staying in Reykjavik and on the south eastern coast, near the Glacier Lagoon. We've booked an ice cave tour and plan so far to see the Golden Circle, the Black Sand Beach, the DC-3 crash site, Glacier Lagoon and Diamond Beach, and the Waterfalls on the drive down south. We mostly intend on chasing the Nothern Lights and beautiful landscape photos, weather permitting.

I can already tell that I'm not going to be enthusiastic about the food there given the prices and poor exchange rate right now, so we'll be playing this one cheap: lots of supermarket groceries and whatever I can make with hot water and a Jetboil.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aeteocles,

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I heard about a guy that once took an ass model to Iceland....

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that Iceland Women are "VERY" friendly.

Good luck...

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to try some yummy fermented, rotted shark while you're there! Big Grin

Hákarl

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
DC-3 crash

Don't get too close to the sun, and you should be fine.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I am jealous. One of the places I would like to visit. Beautiful landscape and not too far of a flight from Boston. A friend of mine was stationed there with the USMC for a few years and raved about it.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
there are some awesome mineral hot springs that you need to check out

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Very jealous!!!

We are going to need an AAR and pics. Lots of pics.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a good time. I read recently that the natives are outnumbered by tourists seven to one. It seems to have become very popular.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Don't forget to try some yummy fermented, rotted shark while you're there! Big Grin

Hákarl

I had a friend bring some of that to a party one time. We made the people that tried it stay in a room by themselves for a couple of hours until the smell went away. It's not the worst thing I've ever smelled, but it is the worst thing I've ever smelled then seen someone put in their mouth voluntarily.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I spent time in Iceland in 2001 and again in 2017, spring and summer respectively. Both for about 2 weeks. Also a few day trips during the winter.

This time of year your ability to see much off the beaten path will be hampered by darkness and closed roads, but there's still much to do. The main attractions, like Gysir and Gulfoss are accessible and worth seeing. The ice lagoon east of Hof is awesome, but a 6 hour drive one way with good roads. If you travel out of Reykjavik, go to Vik on the south coast. Probably you can only access the deep interior by horse. I tried it and, not being a horse rider, had a miserable and embarrassing time. You should easily find a northern lights tour operator. Do it.

If I could recommend only one event- do the Reykjadalur geothermal trail head. It's a short drive from the capital on roads that should be good, an easy but beautiful hike on a well maintained path, ending in a natural hot spring that goes from boiling to pretty hot. Find a place to sit where you won't die, and enjoy the hot water bath in the middle of mountain snow. It's the quintessential Iceland experience, and being a 5-7k walk one way, is not something most tourists do.

I've never been to the northern coast at all, only southern and interior.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I went to Iceland about a year and a half ago. The country is stunningly beautiful.

Glacier Lagoon and Diamond Beach was my favorite place we went hands down.

We took some backpacking meals to save a few buck and also not to have to worry when we where out there finding food. I have a picture of boiling water with a alcohol stove on Diamond Beach.

We missed the Northern Lights as it was cloudy our entire trip. Otherwise I can't say enough about just how beautiful the country is. We drove out of the city everyday and explored.

Your going to have a great time. Take lots of pictures but stop and enjoy the place. Leave time in your plans for random stops.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16395 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Hákarl

I had a friend bring some of that to a party one time. We made the people that tried it stay in a room by themselves for a couple of hours until the smell went away. It's not the worst thing I've ever smelled, but it is the worst thing I've ever smelled then seen someone put in their mouth voluntarily.

Clearly, you've never been to Singapore...

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Good for you , getting to visit!

I get an Iceland newsletter every so often with lots of interesting tidbits about the country.

One thing that pisses the Government and authorities off, is getting off the tails going to some of the natural attractions. Several tourists over the past few years have died, slipping and falling in valleys.

One humorous thing I read, in a way, But not in a way, was one of the most popular places to eat in Reykjavik, is a hot dog stand!

Probably the only one in the country.

https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/...hot_dog_stand_moves/

And maybe some travel info to help you.

https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/travel/

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Take good notes Aet so I can copy your trip! Sounds like a nice treat for you and the wife!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
$603 is a bargain.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19649 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Iceland is surely on my bucket list. If you ever have time, watch youtube drone videos to get you up to speed. I fly drones, and I'd probably run out of memory cards with so much to see.

https://youtu.be/bYVebL_BYqo

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My daughter and son in law went a couple years ago and they said it was more expensive than expected - and they were figuring twice the cost seen in San Diego.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
I read somewhere that Iceland Women are "VERY" friendly.

Good luck...

Nah, I'd say not really at all. Now, if you manage to make it to the hottest bar (B5) on college grad night, they are REALLY nice........to look at. They don't pay much attention to ya. But seriously, we were looking for the girls who were not an 8+, but we didn't find any. It was absurd.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
You're going to be amazed by a lot of things there.

But one of the amazements, one you won't like, is how EXPENSIVE everything is there. Seriously. You're going to drop lots and lots of cash.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post