SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Edmund Fitzgerald - 10 November 1975
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edmund Fitzgerald - 10 November 1975 Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
43 years ago today the Edmund Fitzgerald disappeared in 25'+ seas on Lake Superior off Whitefish Point, Mi., with no survivors.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I went out on a fishing charter on Lake Michigan on a day when they had 6~9' waves. Or boat was a 34 footer. We went 3 miles off shore, and within 30 seconds of hitting the area we wanted to fish, waves were crashing over the bow of the boat. We promptly called it quits, and headed back in.

I can't even imagine how bad it was on that day the Edmond Fitzgerald went down.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was at K.I. Sawyer AFB when the Fitz went down. Its loss was felt by a lot of people here.
The Titanic of Lake Superior.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
History Channel Mega Disasters (back before History Channel found out Aliens and Hillbillys have a better profit margin):

11-10-2015: The Names and Ringing the recovered Bell of the Edmund Fitzgerald:

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

Every time I hear this song it sends a chill up my spine. I've seen Lightfoot live a couple of times and watching and listening to him do this song is an experience.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

Every time I hear this song it sends a chill up my spine.

Same here.

The Bell Ceremony hits hard. I've attended Final Roll Calls in the Army before, but that bell feels like it resonates one's soul.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I wonder if that was the last big ship to go down on the Great Lakes?

I remember the day well.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post

When my youngest son was 6 (that's him behind the Lego Edmund Fitzgerald), he started to get interested in ships. We went to the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum and the song was part of a video about the wreck. My son played it over and over the entire summer on his iPad. He keeps track of what ships are going by with an app and we got to see the Arthur M. Anderson go by.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Arguably one of the best ballads ever written, along with Harry Chapin Taxi/30,000 pounds of bananas.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Captain was from Ottawa Hills; the Day is always special in NW Ohio.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you go to YOU-TUBE you can find some videos of Lake Superior and they are unforgettable. Waves breaking over the lake boats.

Posts: 267 | Registered: January 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read just about everything I can find on the Fitz (absent alien or conspiracies). Seems to come down to the Fitz was notorious for having a bad keel (especially after it was lengthened) and McSorley was a "rock star" and pushed her way too hard.

Consensus is that she just split in two due to the hull failure.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Saw it in person in the mid 60's on the Detroit river. Reason it stood out to me was the name Edmund which was my father's name which is uncommon. Usually it's Edward. Also, this freighter was really long as opposed to other ships which tend to be shorter.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I've relayed this story before, but I was an engineering cadet on the SS Middletown owned by Columbia Steamship, the same company that owned the Fitzgerald, during the summer of 1979. Being only four years after the Fitz went down, many of my shipmates had friends that were lost and of course, the pain and loss was still felt.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I have been to the shipwreck museum at Whitefish Point in the Michigan upper peninsula. It is a very solemn experience.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see that museum someday. It's very sobering to hear the song.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6968 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
43 years ago today the Edmund Fitzgerald disappeared in 25'+ seas on Lake Superior off Whitefish Point, Mi., with no survivors.

Sorry for being a nitpicker but shouldn't it read 44 years ago?

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had just gotten out of the Service when the E. Fitz went down. Didn't know about it 'til I went to visit the guy I went into boot camp with. He and I were friends with Paul Repa (spelling?), who went down with the ship.

As I entered, my buddy and Paul's older brother were there, looking rather uneasy. When they told me what happened I couldn't believe it. My buddy and I had just spent four years on the oceans without any trouble to speak of. Paul goes out on the lakes and is lost. It just doesn't make sense.
I still have Paul's High School picture. he wrote on the back,... "I thought you should have this in case you have to scare away any rats in the place".

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
Saw it in person in the mid 60's on the Detroit river. Reason it stood out to me was the name Edmund which was my father's name which is uncommon. Usually it's Edward. Also, this freighter was really long as opposed to other ships which tend to be shorter.

My father and I were out on my grandfather's boat, on Lake Michigan near Leland, and saw the Edmund Fitzgerald, the summer before she was lost. We crossed her wake a few times, but never the bow, my father remarking what a chance it was to see a large lake freighter up close. Remember well reading the name on the stern, but more so will never forget the wave I got from the sailor on the stern. Could not see his face, but remember the connection as remote as it was. Was stunned at the news. Will never forget that sailor and his kindness.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post