SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do you guys like for wifi routers these days...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you guys like for wifi routers these days... Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
What is the difference between mesh and other multiple WAP solutions? Is mesh more seamless when the client is mobile? I tried two WAPs in my house but had trouble with clients not switching to the WAP with the better signal while moving around the house. I solved it eventually by just using one WAP and relocating it to a more central (but less convenient) location, but coverage in my yard isn't good.

Mesh AP's communicate with each other via wifi and a multiple AP scenario are connected via a wire (Ethernet).

The issue of "roaming" between AP's is another issue not directly related the platform (mesh vs AP).

It is also a very difficult for WIFI engineers to perfect.
First, the decision to change AP's are always made by the client aka mobile device, not the AP.
Second, the configuration needs to be optimum on the AP's.
That configuration would be a) optimum placement b) optimum power levels and c) any other AP configuration controls that the AP may have.
The signal has to be low enough for AP to drop one and start looking for another, if the power is set on "high" (if adjustable at all) then the RSSI may not be low enough even if you get to an AP with a stronger signal.
It is why we always turn 2.4mhz down and in dual band scenarios at least 6 to 8 dbm less.
The output power of AP's is approx. 11dbm to 25dbm.
Roaming is a difficult problem to solve but it is worse when the AP power level is not properly adjusted so the client will look for the next AP.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
Also and anyway, if the OP's intention is to create an extended network using an Apple WiFI router with any other brand of router, I've never gotten that to work. That's just been my experience, but Apple WiFi routers do not play well with other WiFi routers.

Perhaps if you are extending the Wi-Fi network wirelessly.

Someone else asked the OP if he was running an extended network. I reiterated the question and learned that the OP was wirelessly extending one Apple router with another Apple router, but he was having speed problems in an apartment, which is why he started this topic. I was warning him about trying to extend the non-Apple WiFi routers being suggested with an Apple router. I also pointed out that he most likely did not need to create an extended network. Even if one of his Apple routers is defective, just one Apple router should be sufficient for his situation. I also provided a reference from Apple which advises avoiding extending a network wirelessly since that will slow down the network (IIRC, by up to 60%). OP has not reported any findings or results.

You are correct that an Apple router can be used to extend a WiFi setup with non-Apple router if cable is used. I have an ASUS "something" setup as a wired AP with an Airport Extreme. That works fine, although I just created another WiFi network for the ASUS router rather than trying to extend the Apple router.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post