SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do you guys like for wifi routers these days...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you guys like for wifi routers these days... Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
My old Airport extreme is finally starting to get glitchy. This is the old flat square model. I've been looking at the Google routers. I want to spend about $100-$140. The Google OnHub AC1900 looks good for me but was replaced by Google Wifi. The pods they sell are over $100 each and I'd likely need 2 for my apartment (1100 square feet, router at one end).

I've had Netgear and Linksys in the past and they were okay but didn't last long, about a year each. This Airport is likely 5 years or more old and is just starting to shit the bed. My ex wife has the newer tall version and it still works great. Looking for reliability.

Thanks

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I have a Linksys router WRT54G, I believe, that is probably ten years old, never misses a beat.

I had Linksys routers before that, too. I also have a EA3500 that has been trouble free, operator error excepted, of course.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
If I had to buy one right now I'd get the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000). Unless I had money to burn...

https://www.smallnetbuilder.co.../rankers/router/view

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This one right here...got this about 4 or 5 months ago and it's worked GREAT!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd spend $60 on one of these TP-Link AC1200 WAP, turn off WiFi broadcasting from your Airport Extreme, plug a CAT5e cable into one of the existing ports on your Airport Extreme, and run that cable through the attic to a point on the ceiling in the center of your home where you'll install that TP-Link WAP. You'll have spent less than $100, and your WiFi signal will be terrific throughout your home and a big part of outside (depending on the configuration of your house, of course).

I did this upgrade at my house and the results were nothing short of exceptional. The Tp-Link equipment is stellar, and affords you the opportunity to place it where it 'should' be instead of settling on where the router 'has' to be.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I’m a renter. No attic access. The Google on hub is actually made by to link I guess. They can still be bought on amazon.

Jallen: that linksys model is the same one I had that died in a year.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Nighthawk series is hard to beat. I started looking for a new one and was looking at Netgear, but went with Linksys after seeing reviews.

I chose the LINKSYS WRT3200ACM AC3200 MU-MIMO GIGABIT WI-FI ROUTER. Had it about a year and no problems. Setup was very easy and can work on it over the net if need be.

Eta: I also use power line adapters to have best signal to tv's for streaming. Did not want to run cat5 yet until remodel. As long as your on your own circuit in your apartment, then should have no problem. Great way to go with very little hassle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sig226fan,

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If you just want something new then OK but perhaps a review of your existing Wi-Fi network might be in order.
Could be all is needed is a firmware4 update, a reconfig of the unit or repositioning the Wi-Fi unit.
I might try to match to your existing clients aka devices. Do you need dual band for one reason or another? Physically positioning the AP can make a huge difference along with knowing what else out there is competing for Wi-Fi signals such as a lot of 2.4 in the area or need for high speed streaming. Do you have any AC clients?

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
If you just want something new then OK but perhaps a review of your existing Wi-Fi network might be in order.
Could be all is needed is a firmware4 update, a reconfig of the unit or repositioning the Wi-Fi unit.
I might try to match to your existing clients aka devices. Do you need dual band for one reason or another? Physically positioning the AP can make a huge difference along with knowing what else out there is competing for Wi-Fi signals such as a lot of 2.4 in the area or need for high speed streaming. Do you have any AC clients?

That's a bit more tech talk than I can handle. But the firmware is up to date. The positioning isn't changeable right now. I have a pretty small apartment. The wifi is okay when I'm alone and streaming, but has been cutting out when I watch Playstation Vue (which is live tv streaming). The location of my router is in the 2nd bedroom where my kids sleep when they are here (every other weekend). They have X boxes and I put the main router in their room. My older son will use a cat 5 to connect the X box so he has great speed. I also have an Airport Express adding to the network in my living room (The Airport Extreme was giving me trouble alone when the kids were both on their devices so I added the Express).

In any case Apple is not supporting routers anymore. I don't expect any updates to the firmware. So I'm thinking the best route is to buy something new and more powerful than what I've used in the past. I'm all for saving money and keeping what I have if I can.

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
The TP-Link Archer C7 is only a 1750, but has received several great test reviews on actual coverage/range. If you’re not streaming 4K or connecting multiple gaming systems you should be good. $80-100.

The ASUS RT-AC3100/RT-AC88 is a big step up in speed, but also in price (more than you said).

The Orbi system has dedicated backhaul channel if you really do need a satellite. Without dedicated backhaul you are just self-limiting your own WiFi speed. But costs way more than your price range.

ETA: so do you have a WiFi router in the bedroom and a Airport Express in the living room acting as an unwired access point? That could slow your WiFi down even as it increases coverage.

As for the 1900/3100/3200/5300/etc and MIMO and MU-MIMO capabilities of newer routers, if your devices don’t support the same technology the new routers won’t make old devices any faster.

Posts: 506 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onegeek:
The TP-Link Archer C7 is only a 1750, but has received several great test reviews on actual coverage/range. If you’re not streaming 4K or connecting multiple gaming systems you should be good. $80-100.

The ASUS RT-AC3100/RT-AC88 is a big step up in speed, but also in price (more than you said).

The Orbi system has dedicated backhaul channel if you really do need a satellite. Without dedicated backhaul you are just self-limiting your own WiFi speed. But costs way more than your price range.

ETA: so do you have a WiFi router in the bedroom and a Airport Express in the living room acting as an unwired access point? That could slow your WiFi down even as it increases coverage.

As for the 1900/3100/3200/5300/etc and MIMO and MU-MIMO capabilities of newer routers, if your devices don’t support the same technology the new routers won’t make old devices any faster.

Kind of a catch 22 for me. I'm alone most of the time. But when the kids come they can be doing a lot of gaming. They use X Box or laptops and switch a lot between devices.

These go to eleven.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Based upon the recommendation of my personal shopper, Aeteocles, I purchased an Asus RT-AC68U

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I like an older USA made bosch myself.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Didn't know you were in an apartment, or I'd have never recommended the WAP I did. Given your configuration, buy and install one of these in the kids bedroom and call it a day. Netgear Nighthawk AC1750. It should cover your entire apartment in fast WiFi (assuming there is no issue with the signal you're feeding it).
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Based upon the recommendation of my personal shopper, Aeteocles, I purchased an Asus RT-AC68U
Just on the off chance you have your cellular service through T-Mobile, they have a program where you can get one of these Asus routers for 'free'.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I have a Netgear AC1200, ISP provided, poorly positioned (patch panel in top front corner of house).
Tech came out & demo'd an AC1900 & the signal was the same.

Bought a cheap POE switch & a Ubiquiti access point. Wi-Fi is exponentially better now. Ubiquiti is in the living room in the center of the house, out whole house has CAT5 run throughout.

Eventually I'll get around to networking the ports, but low priority now that we have great Wi-Fi.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I like an older USA made bosch myself.

Or maybe a Waste KANG!!!

These go to eleven.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I have a Netgear AC1200, ISP provided, poorly positioned (patch panel in top front corner of house).
Tech came out & demo'd an AC1900 & the signal was the same.

Bought a cheap POE switch & a Ubiquiti access point. Wi-Fi is exponentially better now. Ubiquiti is in the living room in the center of the house, out whole house has CAT5 run throughout.

Eventually I'll get around to networking the ports, but low priority now that we have great Wi-Fi.
I recommended a similar solution which I don't think is viable given he lives in an apartment (unless he wants to leave the CAT5e running across the floor).

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

That seems like a good recommendation. Seems a lot of these are similar in price and reviews are similar. Since I have an aversion to Netgear and Linksys (I tend to hold a grudge if stuff doesn't last long enough) maybe I'll give this a shot.

These go to eleven.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Why not get another Airport??? Refurbished are plenty cheap.
I am still rocking an Extreme I bought refurbished going on almost 10 years now. I can count on 1 hand how many times it has had to be reset where I did not start a new configuration.
When we got a bigger house and I needed some better coverage in the basement I added an refurbed Express and use it as a bridge and it works great.

They are simple to setup very powerful and just flat work.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Why not get another Airport??? Refurbished are plenty cheap.
I am still rocking an Extreme I bought refurbished going on almost 10 years now. I can count on 1 hand how many times it has had to be reset where I did not start a new configuration.
When we got a bigger house and I needed some better coverage in the basement I added an refurbed Express and use it as a bridge and it works great.

They are simple to setup very powerful and just flat work.

But since Apple is no longer making them or supporting them I'd rather something that is supported.

These go to eleven.