SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dashcam video of officer involved chase and shooting on I-95, week of 25 DEC 2017
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dashcam video of officer involved chase and shooting on I-95, week of 25 DEC 2017 Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
This is why when I drive around here I carry a gun where it is accessible.

quote:
http://www.fox5dc.com

Gregory Lee and wrecked getaway vehicle

STAFFORD, Va. - The Stafford County Sheriff’s Office has released dash cam footage that was recorded from a deputy’s cruiser during a high-speed pursuit of a 42-year-old man suspected of killing his wife last week.

The video shows a Stafford County deputy driving onto Interstate 95 following behind a Virginia State Police cruiser already in pursuit of the suspect driving a Ford Explorer. During the chase, the SUV slows down and fires several shots at the deputy out of his driver’s side window, causing the deputy to swerve to the right shoulder of the highway.

Officials said one of the bullets fired struck the windshield of the deputy’s vehicle and narrowly missed him. The bullet was found lodged in the driver's side headrest.
photo

The Ford Explorer then speeds off again with both the deputy and the Virginia State Police trooper in pursuit again. About 30 seconds later, the suspect loses control of his SUV and crashes into the right guardrail of the roadway, flipping over onto its hood.

The suspect, identified as 42-year-old Gregory Lee, was found in the crashed SUV with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, according to officials. He was flown to the hospital where he later died overnight.

uthorities say Lee was suspected of shooting and killing his wife, 36-year-old Melissa Lee, at England Run North Apartments in Fredericksburg earlier that morning. A Virginia State Police trooper spotted Lee's vehicle shortly after the shooting and attempted to conduct a traffic stop, which then sparked the pursuit.

Before the deputy arrived to the chase, police also say Lee fired his weapon at the trooper, which resulted with a bullet going through the windshield of his cruiser and becoming lodged in the driver's seat. The trooper was able to duck away from getting struck and was not injured.

Court records showed Lee was a registered sex offender – convicted of attempted rape back in 1999 in Alexandria. Records also show he was convicted twice of assaulting a law enforcement officer – first in 1996 and then again ten years later along with eluding police, DUI and hit-and-run.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31440 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
a bullet going through the windshield of his cruiser and becoming lodged in the driver's seat

That's got a pucker factor to it.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was snared in the traffic back-up that day, coming back from NC and visiting my parents for Christmas. Now I understand fully why it happened, and think the loss of perhaps two hours delay was worth it. The LEOs were not injured, and the perp.....

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I can not believe the number of STUPID people who do not pull over for emergency (cop cars)!

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rexles:
I can not believe the number of STUPID people who do not pull over for emergency (cop cars)!

Yeah, that is a rule in law enforcement: while on an emergency run(lights and sirens)the more cars that get out of your way as you are responding, the more likely it is false alarm/call. The more vehicles that get in your way, the more likely it is a for real emergency.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cops showed proper tactics after the crash by not rushing up to the suspects vehicle. There is an actual thing called "post pursuit syndrome" where the stress of the chase overrides your judgment, causing you to want rush up to the suspect vehicle and lay hands on your suspect.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gregory Lee

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we spent $$$ to helicopter out that POS

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Happy to see that Deputy get out of his car with a proper weapon. I think our troopers are still issued G31's which isn't bad but a long gun is so much better...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I heard on the news the cause of the rollover crash was the driver shot himself in the head.

So he was basically dead before he hit the bridge abutment.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31440 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I had to wonder, did he shoot himself before or after the crash?

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
......and this is one of the reasons why I have a dash cam in my vehicle.

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That bothered me, too. More cop cars should be equipped with push bars.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mech
posted Hide Post
Did the Virginia State Police cruiser have pieces of its rear bumper hanging off of the vehicle? I couldn't tell if it was lighting of the windshield or if the cruiser had already sustained damage prior to the beginning of the video.

Posts: 1160 | Location: SW Washington, Support Sporting Systems! | Registered: March 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mech:
Did the Virginia State Police cruiser have pieces of its rear bumper hanging off of the vehicle? I couldn't tell if it was lighting of the windshield or if the cruiser had already sustained damage prior to the beginning of the video.

It looked to be damaged sometime before the video started. You can see the piece hanging off when the VSP car first enters view.

Later, when they stopped, you can see that the rear bumper/undercarriage has a piece hanging off and some noticeable damage.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can't speak for the Fire Departments but not pulling over for Police Cars with their lights and sirens activated is a HUGE problem in my neck of the woods.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a problem with that here. Especially following fire trucks to a fire. A couple of times, they've blocked the road behind the trucks and police cars after a chase and worked their way thru the line. Handing out tickets.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Following fire trucks....Can you expand on the issue here?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8881 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Following fire trucks....Can you expand on the issue here?

I've witnessed what I think you're asking about.
Civilians drop in behind emergency vehicles and speed along behind them.

And I've seen a ladder truck pull sideways across the freeway once it reached the accident site so that troopers could come and ticket the trapped offenders.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Norfolk, VA | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I heard on the news the cause of the rollover crash was the driver shot himself in the head.

So he was basically dead before he hit the bridge abutment.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Not according to the article in the link.

quote:
"The suspect, identified as 42-year-old Gregory Lee, was found in the crashed SUV with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, according to officials. He was flown to the hospital where he later died overnight ."

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post