SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Small Engine Pressure Washer advice after storage

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Small Engine Pressure Washer advice after storage Login/Join 
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted
I haven't used my pressure washer in 4 years.

Pulled it out today and there was no gas in gas tank, meaning I must have run it dry.

Put in some good no ethanol gas and after a few pulls it started.

Ran for about a minute so started to spray.
It cought a bit and then shutdown billowing white smoke from the exhaust.

Started again and ran for maybe 10 seconds, coughing and shutting down. Started several times with same results, shutting down billowing white smoke.

What do I need to do to get it running again?

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have put some lube in the spark plug hole, waited a few hours, and turned it over with the plug out.

However it might be that the float needle in the carb is stuck and not controlling the fuel correctly. That is if it has a float and needle valve, automobiles always did.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of white smoke generally is a bad sign. You might have water getting into the cylinder.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Now what?
It is/was a pretty decent Ridgid 3000 psi pressure washer from Home Depot.

Troubleshoot, fix, replace?

Honestly was thinking that I just needed to use a carburetor cleaner.
Now I am thinking MNSIG may be right, water getting into the cylinder.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Isn't it an air cooled engine? If so unlikely it has anything to do with water.
Check the air filter to see if its blocked in any way of if it's oil soaked by the pressure washer being turned on its side at some point.
I had a generator that did that. Someone had turned it on its side and oil came up through the breather into the air filter housing. The sponge like filter was full of oil acting like a choke and flooded the engine soon after starting.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Figure it could be leaking into the cylinder where the water pump attaches to engine.

Pres. Select, Joe Biden

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Figure again, because that's not happening. Check the oil, make sure it is not grossly over filled. If your float is stuck, the entire fuel tank will drain into the crankcase, filling your oil up with gasoline, which will smoke like crazy. Then take the carb apart. Depending on what engine it is, you could just get a brand new carb for as little as $8 and up.

Your float is stuck and is dumping gas into the cylinder. There is no way that water has entered the engine.

Looks like a Robin Subaru engine? That sucks. They are so expensive to fix, most people throw them away and start over again. You can replace the engine for cheaper than it cost to put a new carburetor on it.

I'm going to bet that your oil is filled up with gasoline. Change the oil. See if it runs. If it runs fine, then your needle and seat needs replaced. Or you could do the cheap thing and add a fuel cutoff switch to the gas line between the tank and the carb. I've done that many times on equipment that had a bad needle and seat as a cheap way of keeping it working and not throwing money at it.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Report This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
4 years means dried out o rings and gaskets in the carb. It needs to be rebuilt and you should be good to go.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:
4 years means dried out o rings and gaskets in the carb. It needs to be rebuilt and you should be good to go.
^^^This would be my bet as well. The symptoms would lead me to believe a fuel system issue. Clean and rebuild the carb and replace the fuel filter (assuming there is one) and hopefully you'll be good to go.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Figure again, because that's not happening. Check the oil, make sure it is not grossly over filled. If your float is stuck, the entire fuel tank will drain into the crankcase, filling your oil up with gasoline, which will smoke like crazy. Then take the carb apart. Depending on what engine it is, you could just get a brand new carb for as little as $8 and up.

Your float is stuck and is dumping gas into the cylinder. There is no way that water has entered the engine.

Looks like a Robin Subaru engine? That sucks. They are so expensive to fix, most people throw them away and start over again. You can replace the engine for cheaper than it cost to put a new carburetor on it.

I'm going to bet that your oil is filled up with gasoline. Change the oil. See if it runs. If it runs fine, then your needle and seat needs replaced. Or you could do the cheap thing and add a fuel cutoff switch to the gas line between the tank and the carb. I've done that many times on equipment that had a bad needle and seat as a cheap way of keeping it working and not throwing money at it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:There is no way that water has entered the engine.

I have no idea what happened in this case, but there sure are plenty of Internet threads about milky engine oil with water entering the crankcase of pressure washers.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Now what?
It is/was a pretty decent Ridgid 3000 psi pressure washer from Home Depot.

Troubleshoot, fix, replace?

Honestly was thinking that I just needed to use a carburetor cleaner.
Now I am thinking MNSIG may be right, water getting into the cylinder.

The washer I have sitting in my shed has no way for water to get into the engine. Pump is totally separate from the engine, connected only by a drive shaft of some sort.

My approach to the problem would be to get some good carb cleaner, make a good strong mix of it with fresh gasoline and turn the engine over. Let it run until it quits, repeat a time or 2 then let it set overnight and try again.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
When posting a problem with a product, you need to post the manufacturer and model number.

Some products have the pump mounted to the engine and there is a seal on the shaft that keeps water out of the crank case.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

And this is why I gravitate to this forum.
We have experts on everything.

Sure enough I have gas in my oil.

Pres. Select, Joe Biden