SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Army Times: "The Army wants to replace the ‘Mickey Mouse’ cold weather boots"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Army Times: "The Army wants to replace the ‘Mickey Mouse’ cold weather boots" Login/Join 
posted
I wore the white VB (vapor barrier) boots when I was stationed at Ft Wainwright AK (next to Fairbanks) almost 50 years ago.

https://www.armytimes.com/news...-cold-weather-boots/

The Army wants to replace the ‘Mickey Mouse’ cold weather boots

By: Todd South   53 minutes ago

The old “Mickey Mouse” cold weather boot, a rubber relic from the 1960s still in service with both soldiers and Marines, could be replaced if a recent Army posting proves fruitful.

The aim is to reduce the weight and bulk of the boot, which earned its nickname for its white, bulbous size, like the famed cartoon rodent’s feet. The boot does also come in black, and for a time, they were also called “Bunny Boots” by troops.

Earlier this month, U.S. Army Contracting Command posted a special notice on fbo.gov, a federal business opportunities website. The notice detailed the procurement of 150 pairs of three models of an Extreme Cold Weather Overboot to replace the classic version, called the Extreme Cold Weather Boot.

And the post author noted the long-standing boot’s deficiencies.

“The current Extreme Cold Weather Boot (ECWB) has remained largely unmodified since the 1960s and utilizes outdated technology and manufacturing processes which are no longer available within the U.S.,” according to the notice.

“Additionally, the ECWB is heavy, bulky, and difficult to pack/carry when conducting dismounted operations,” according to the notice.

The white, bulky boot provides a vacuum-type seal that maintains foot warmth in temperatures down to -60 Fahrenheit. So much so that troops often soak their socks with sweat while standing in banks of snow.

Researchers at the U.S. Army Soldier, Research, Development and Engineering Center along with Product Manager-Soldier Clothing and Individual Equipment, “will commence an effort to evaluate insulated overboot solutions with the potential to offer similar environmental protection at reduced weight/bulk.”

The boot was developed during the Korean War to combat the extreme cold weather soldiers and Marines faced in fierce fighting during that war.

Minor modifications occurred early in its development, including an air valve being added in the 1960s for use in high altitudes, whether on mountainsides or in aircraft.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wore those once while in the field at Ft. Riley. Kept 'em on for about 24 hours straight...when I removed them I had to throw away the socks I was wearing the smell was so bad Smile.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8764 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
For oil & gas in Alaska's North Slope (i.e. the Arctic Circle), Bunny Boots are the longest standing argument going. OSHA requires steel toes where there is a danger of falling or rolling objects, and safety departments like to make blanket policies (i.e. wear steel toes even if in a positions like surveryors where there is no danger). People buy mil surplus, get the vapor barriers repaired, and then lobby like hell to get a safety exemption to wear Bunny Boots. I wore Baffin Boots which were arctic grade steel toes, but people who have worn both said the Bunny Boots were better.

I've never personally wore Bunny Boots, but I have wore other -50F arctic gear and can state without reservation it sucks when you're in temperatures not even close to -50F. For example, we were required to wear our -50 artcic survival gear on helicopters in event of crash but the requirement didn't apply to the helicopter pilot so he kept the cabin an appropriate temp for wearing jeans and a leather bomber jacket. First and only time I've come close to puking in a helicopter, but I was sweating and nauseaous from the artic survival gear. Other than the hellicopter (I only made the mistake of riding it once and drove/rode ice roads after that), I had the choice of wearing appropriate clothing for the weather and have artic survival gear in the truck or wear the artic survival gear (no brainer which decision I made).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
I wore those once while in the field at Ft. Riley. Kept 'em on for about 24 hours straight...when I removed them I had to throw away the socks I was wearing the smell was so bad Smile.

Hey Chris, when were you at Riley? I spent a year there one summer in 1987 Smile

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
As long as whatever new boots they select actually work, I'm all for it. Technology improves over time and there is no reason to not avail yourself of it. Doesn't a soldier carry enough on him without adding weight to his feet?

Posts: 27914 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wore those rubber "Mickey Mouse" boots in Korea when we went on field maneuvers in late '50's. With those boots my feet would sweat so much, I had to carry two or three pairs of dry woolen socks and change often.

I put the wet socks on the vehicle motor to dry.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've worn them extensively on dismounted infantry operations at -30+, they just plain work so the replacement had better keep up. Keeping feet warm at such temps is no small task. Lots of civilian outdoors-ey types buy them surplus and wear them as well.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Had an LT in Afghanistan who wore them year round, even on summer patrols. Eek

Posts: 13085 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I love mine.
Wore them while deployed to the attic circle, Ft. Macoy & Pickel Meadows.
Liked them so much I bought a pair when I got out.
Then a second pair when those died. I paid $40 for these surplus.
I see Amazon has them as well.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wore them to -39 during my resort stay at K.I. Sawyer AFB. I hated them but they kept me warm.
I lusted in my heart for a pair of black ones.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
I had two pair of nice Gore-Tex boots that were light, comfortable, waterproof, and kept my feet nice and warm. I used them in Germany, Korea, and Hokkaido, Japan. But my feet would need washing often - they would smell. They were much better than the Mickey Mouse boots.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is that cold on Everest. What can't soldiers wear what Everest climbers wear. IIRC, they are bulky, insulated boots with articulated plastic shells and additional exterior insulation.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

Hey Chris, when were you at Riley? I spent a year there one summer in 1987 Smile

'77-'79. Then was a copper in Junction City for four years before escaping to Utah.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8764 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I did cold weather training at Fort McCoy there in Wisconsin, and as frackin' cold as it go, at least my feet were worm while wearing my Mickey Mouse boots.

I have had cold feet throughout my life, and those boots actually worked as advertised. The negatives are they didn't have good tracking on ice, they we too heavy and they were too bulky.

I just assumed the US Military had already replaced these with new tech since I've been in, but it seems it isn't so. I just hope they can replace them with something that breathes, is lighter,is less bulky and have better traction on ice.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1163 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
I did cold weather training at Fort McCoy there in Wisconsin, and as frackin' cold as it got, at least my feet were worm while wearing my Mickey Mouse boots.

I have had cold feet throughout my life, and those boots actually worked as advertised. The negatives are they didn't have good tracking on ice, they we too heavy and they were too bulky.

I just assumed the US Military had already replaced these with new tech since I've been in, but it seems it isn't so. I just hope they can replace them with something that breathes, is lighter,is less bulky and have better traction on ice.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1163 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
The Antarctic program was still issuing these when I was down there. They work. They suck, but frostbite sucks more.
I really only wore them when hiking around sightseeing, for regular work around the ship I had some gore-tex steel-toed Timberland's that were good down to -15 or so.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It is that cold on Everest. What can't soldiers wear what Everest climbers wear. IIRC, they are bulky, insulated boots with articulated plastic shells and additional exterior insulation.

Climbers will opt for one of two options:
1- Leather/synthetic mountaineering boots that have insulation. With a full shank, leather boots provide better sensitivity and lighter overall weight BUT, leather boots can freeze and shrink if there's too much mositure. Because of the weight savings and sensitivity, insulated overboots can be slipped over the boots like a condom. Underfoot you're wearing crampons as you're in a vertical environment, these aren't hiking boots. Newer leather climbing boots have an overboot built-in, covering up the laces and helping to hold heat in while preventing icing up.

2- Plastic double boots have a hard plastic shell with a hinged ankle and a insulated liner. These are easier to maintain but don't breath as well as leather and don't have the sensitivity you'd want for climbing. When the insulated liner gets wet, you can remove it and squeeze out the water; you can also take the liner and use it as camp/tent booties and keep them in your sleeping bag to keep warm. Some people have trouble fitting into double-boots as the inner-bootie can slip around inside the plastic shell which can create blisters. I like double-boots but, I've met many others that hate them.

The Army needs to look at a series of boots for winter conditions: 1) A general use boot that is very durable and super insulated; think mil-spec snow-pac boot like a Sorel/Baffin 2) a mountain field boot like what some of the SOF units used in Afghanistan and 3) A dedicated double-plastic boot where the liner can be suited for the user. When it comes to building/designing boots for the mountains, nobody does it better than the Italians.

You can get an idea of what's out there on the market.

Posts: 14630 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I wore them in Iceland as a Marine in 78 mine were white. No problems except snow was deeper than the height of the boots.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wore them during Battle Griffin in 1991. They sucked but most definitely worked. I have never seen a black pair of these until this post.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I'm told the white ones are rated for colder temps than the black ones.
Don't know if that's a fact or not.
I wore white in the Artic & the training up to that deployment.
But here in Ohio where the air temps don't go below -20° the black ones are perfect.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post