SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Found one cause of people going slow in passing/fast lane
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found one cause of people going slow in passing/fast lane Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
Smartphones. Over the last 4 days I’ve driven more than I have in many years. Each day having to drive a good distance more than usual. All highway travel. All 4 days seen the fast lane at a crawl. 70 mph with people doing 55 mph. It’s been real bad. When I have finally got around these clowns, each day, I look over as I’m passing them and see a phone in their lap and their thumb scrolling or watching videos. I’m assuming, like pre-smartphone, they are getting into the passing lane so they don’t have to move or have multiple lanes of traffic merging. This is a problem.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, nothing new. Mad

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
This calls for 'Horn Therapy'. Loud and long.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a problem.

Ya think? It’s only been an obvious problem for YEARS!
The death and destruction of this bullshit has been well documented for quite some time.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
We need recourse. At the very least, something like if they get caught on dash cams and we send in pics, they get fined.

If people do something bad in public, they get confronted by others around them. In stores, movie theaters, etc. We need some recourse while driving. It’s ridiculous now.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Portable cell phone jammer.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Portable cell phone jammer.

flashguy

Since they're commercially available for under $500 these days, I think it's only responsible to mention that using them in the U.S. could get you fined up to $10K(?) and/or a year in the federal prison system for a first offense.

But hey, for research purposes...

https://www.jammer-store.com/

Big Grin

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:

With a Train Horn, a really really LOUD one.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I want to live where you live if this is just now starting to become a trend there. Don't forget when you return your movies to Blockbuster, "Be kind, rewind". Smile

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This may come as a shock to you, but the earth is round and not flat. Exciting times we are living in now Wink

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Where has OP been living all these years? Under the proverbial rock? Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26343 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
What I find interesting is that people having the phone stuck to their heads and not using bluetooth.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The main cause has always been old people who are scared of driving.

The right lane has cars to the left of you and other cars entering from the right - scary

The middle lanes have cars on both sides- very scary

The left lane only has cars on your right and no one trying to merge into your lane. -safe

Smart phone use causes people to drive poorly in all lanes, not just the left.

I think a cell phone jammer would have the opposite intended effect. If anything, people would look at their phones more intently trying to figure out why it lost signal.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
What I find interesting is that people having the phone stuck to their heads and not using bluetooth.

And a large number of them in brand new cars that definitely have hands free BT technology built in.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
phone or no phone I was taught a Looooong time ago in drives ed that you only use the left lane for passing.... seems this was lost somewhere in the last 45 years and most people drive in the left lane these days....

I was working for a retired S.C. highway patrolman earlier this year and he told me something I'd never thought of... they are taught to not drive in the left lane on especially divided highways at night... the reason is if some drunk gets on the wrong side of the road that is the most likely lane they will be in... he actually had it happened to him....cruising on the interstate one night in the right lane and all of a sudden a car with no lights on shot past him going in the other direction in the left lane....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
phone or no phone I was taught a Looooong time ago in drives ed that you only use the left lane for passing.... seems this was lost somewhere in the last 45 years and most people drive in the left lane these days....

I was working for a retired S.C. highway patrolman earlier this year and he told me something I'd never thought of... they are taught to not drive in the left lane on especially divided highways at night... the reason is if some drunk gets on the wrong side of the road that is the most likely lane they will be in... he actually had it happened to him....cruising on the interstate one night in the right lane and all of a sudden a car with no lights on shot past him going in the other direction in the left lane....

In the case of SC - Cell phones only add to the already terrible problem of absolutely horrible driving skills. They need a law for driving in the right except for passing only like a few other states have.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:

Yes, like a diesel locomotive horn!

We have the same problem here.

Not to mention the idiots running in "convoy" at 70+ (55 zone) with less than a single car length between their cars.

I have decided to not travel that road if I can avoid it, because I don't want to end up in a huge pile of wrecked cars.

One of these days some idiot will start a massive pile up of cars, with attendant injuries and fatalities.

Hence, avoid that road like the plague! May take a little longer, but a bunch safer to avoid it.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

In the case of SC - Cell phones only add to the already terrible problem of absolutely horrible driving skills. They need a law for driving in the right except for passing only like a few other states have.

Or like in Germany. BIIIG penalty for blocking the left lane on the autobahns!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've often wished I had a train horn installed on my pick up so I could pull right up behind or beside and sound the horn.

Posts: 264 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Around town these people are also the cause of the light turning green but not moving. They have much more important things on their phone to worry about besides this following the signals driving stuff.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post