SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Found one cause of people going slow in passing/fast lane
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found one cause of people going slow in passing/fast lane Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Really???

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2538 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may also find these idiots leave an acre of stopping distance too. You need 60 seconds of reaction time if your head is in your phone.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
If law enforcement devoted even 1/2 the effort as they spend on DUI or even speeding we could substantially rid our highways of these dangerous distracted drivers. We have laws against hand held phone use while driving but I never see them enforced. Can anyone in law enforcement comment on why?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
If law enforcement devoted even 1/2 the effort as they spend on DUI or even speeding we could substantially rid our highways of these dangerous distracted drivers. We have laws against hand held phone use while driving but I never see them enforced. Can anyone in law enforcement comment on why?

Someone get this man a prize. A cop could write more citations in a week than most would in a year for speeding/DUI combined. If I pass 10 cars on I-95 or I-64, between 3-5 will have an idiot with a cell phone texting driving. The closer you get to big cities, the higher the percentage. Add the older folks that drive 10-15 MPH under the posted speed and you have nailed down the greatest frustrations for driving that we face today.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too have seen much of the stuff described here.

Love the idea of a jammer installed in my truck, so anyone I get near loses their connection. Most of the time it would make things safer IF that other driver would look up at the road when it happened. They might look even MORE intently at their phone at that moment. NOT a good thing at that time.

A bigger horn, or even a little toot on the one I have, has crossed my mind too.

Problem there is you don’t know what their reaction will be - it might be a HARD right or left yank on the steering wheel. Right into you OR right off the road at 70 mph..... Neither option being good.

Perhaps being behind them and then lots of high beam flashing.....

So far, my best solution is to get far, far away.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I see this with increasing frequency. What really chaps my glutes is delayed departure at controlled intersections. Light turns green. Everyone goes but the knuckle-brain in front of me. I toot the horn, he looks up and floors it to get through the intersection. Light turns red on me. It's simply selfish behavior.

Last year I saw a UHP officer driving a little close to the car on his right at about the 8 o'clock position. Then I noticed what he was watching. The driver of the other car was texting and driving. I was behind them both. When the officer was convinced he'd seen enough, he dropped behind the other car and lit him up. It was gratifying to see that. I wish it could be more frequent.

I don't understand the hand held texting/calling thing at all. I almost never put my phone to my ear or dial/text manually even if I am not driving. I use Siri and bluetooth for that. I only use data while driving to help find locations but voice text that too.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
Not to mention big rig A passing big rig B at nearly the same speed. Like your physics problem, if big rig A behind big rig B is traveling at 61mph, and big rig B traveling at 60mph, how long and how far would big rig A overtake big rig B? Smile

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
The main cause has always been old people who are scared of driving.

This is my experience, and I drive a LOT on highways, a lot of two lane, 75mph roads. Most of these left lane huggers are either assholes or numbskulls who will not pull over to the right lane, even with 6 cars behind them, nobody in front of them. I rarely see them on their phones.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ergoproxy:
Not to mention big rig A passing big rig B at nearly the same speed. Like your physics problem, if big rig A behind big rig B is traveling at 61mph, and big rig B traveling at 60mph, how long and how far would big rig A overtake big rig B? Smile

Lot of that around here too, I suppose due to the hills.
Speed limit 70 with cars traveling 70-80 up a grade and big rig going 57 can't stand to be held up by another big rig going 55 so out the inconsiderate driver pulls........

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
A repeat thread, and usually in the "what's your deal" page.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
how about a jammer that shutsdown the cars CPU ???
Pull alongside, use your middle finger to hit immobilizer button and skippy doesn't know what the fuck just happened to his shitmobile?

That, I would buy.
Even if I had to sell my body on the weekends to pay for it.
Razz

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
In my experience it’s more old people who are hogging the left lane than people on phones.

I was driving long before the smart phone and this has been a problem the whole time. Smart phones aren’t the cause. Selfish assholes who don’t pay attention to anything but themselves areand always have been. Sometimes those selfish assholes use phones I guess but just like guns don’t kill people, phones don’t make people selfish.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
In my experience it’s more old people who are hogging the left lane than people on phones.

Not my experience. There is no minimum age for assholes.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

Not my experience. There is no minimum age for assholes.

Not my experience either!!

Today for example: Had to drive to town on Rt. 234 which is a 4 lane highway, speed limit =55.

average speed was above 65, with many in excess of 70! Interval between cars way too short, in some cases perhaps 10 feet.

I fully expect to see a massive pile up any day now caused by people who have no clue about the laws of physics. Stopping distance? Never occurs to them.

And to make it worse, I have not seen a single LEO vehicle on that road in weeks. They could make a damned fortune just writing tickets for those traveling above 65, remember the limit is 55.

About a week ago while driving my truck towards town, had to do a panic stop to keep from getting hit by an asshole who decided to pass by pulling into my lane, and I was beside HER, and yes she had that damned phone stuck to her nose.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Huge problem and I see it everyday throughout the day. It is scary how long I see people looking down at their phones while driving. A distant second might be people putting on makeup. Perhaps a mandatory app or accelerometer that disables the phones ability to scroll while in motion.

On a side note I recently got back from a trip to Disney and I lost count of how many people walked into me because they were looking down at their phones. If I stopped moving out of the way these oblivious inconsiderate fools just walked right into me.

Put down the damn phones.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Where has OP been living all these years? Under the proverbial rock? Big Grin

Nope. Have you always had a superiority complex or is that a new development? Big Grin

Seen it on surface/city streets for years. Seen it on the highway for years too. Have not seen people so regularly doing it in the fast lane on the highway until recently. I’m talking about smartphone use in the fast lane going under the posted speed limit. The left lane wannabe police (you shouldn’t be speeding!) have been there since day 1. But seeing idiots with their head down in the fast under the posted speed limit, not common around here until recently.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Not LEO, but maybe it's not easy for the LEO to sneak up on them to see what they are doing?

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I saw a lady get pulling over in Charlottesville last year for talking on cellphone. That is unusual for Charlottesville since you never see an officer.

The fast lane is now considered the CRUISE LANE! Roll Eyes Big Grin

Watch at night in traffic and you can see the lights of the screens very easily.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post