SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quote from 1946 'Poplar Photography' magazine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quote from 1946 'Poplar Photography' magazine Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I'm sure they were right about other things Big Grin

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Well... at the time.

Nobody would buy Japanese products for a long time for various reasons. Even when it was marked "Made in occupied Japan"

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Very interesting.

1946 until Nikon took over the professional market in the early 60s was not a lot of time. Kodak dominated the amateur market for a while longer but not much longer.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO, the Korean war was the turning point for War photographers to use German Cameras (Leica or Contax) with faster speed Japanese (Nikon or Canon)lens.

For quite some time, Nikon made breach mount or screwmount lens for Leica and Contax/Nikon.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the early 50's and during the Korean War the hot camera/ lens combination was a Leica III with a Nikon 50mm 1.1 or 1.4.

Unfortunately on GI pay I could afford neither one.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
Per a college classmate of mine(late 1950s)whose father did such for a living, the going compensation for succeeding in getting a photo used for the cover of the most widely viewed and prominent weekly magazine "Life" was $2000. But it didn't happen all that often. I'm sure there was plenty of competition. At the time a month's wages for my beginning career in EE was typically $800.
I might note that I yet have a pair of those f1.4 Nikor lenses!

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Poplar Photography

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Poplar Photography

I see what you did there! (Took a moment, though.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Good one! You didn't think a respected magazine like 'Popular Photography' would ever print such a statement, do you? Big Grin

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post