SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dankie, You Thief!! Broward County Elections Supervisor Illegally Destroys Disputed Ballots From Dankie's Last Primary
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dankie, You Thief!! Broward County Elections Supervisor Illegally Destroys Disputed Ballots From Dankie's Last Primary Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
quote:
Broward Elections Supervisor Illegally Destroyed Ballots In Wasserman Schultz Race, Judge Rules
Larry Barszewski, South Florida Sun Sentinel

The Broward County Supervisor of Elections Office violated state and federal laws by destroying ballots from the 2016 Congressional race too soon - and while the ballots were the subject of a lawsuit against the office, a judge has ruled.

Based on that ruling, Florida's Department of State will send election experts to the Broward elections office in the upcoming election "to ensure that all laws are followed," the governor's office said. It could cost the elections office more than $200,000 to pay attorney's fees for Tim Canova, the defeated candidate who sued the office. The decision stems from Canova's bid to unseat Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz in the Democratic primary, a race he lost convincingly, at about 57% to 43%, or 28,809 votes to 21,907.

Canova, who was checking for voting irregularities in the race, sought to look at the paper ballots in March 2017 and took Elections Supervisor Brenda Snipes to court three months later when her office hadn't fulfilled his request. Snipes approved the destruction of the ballots in September, signing a certification that said no court cases involving the ballots were pending. Snipes called the action a "mistake" during testimony she gave in the case, saying the boxes were mislabeled and there was "nothing on my part that was intentional" about the destroying the contested ballots. "When I sign, I sign folders filled with information," Snipes said in her testimony, later adding: "I trust my staff. They have the responsibility of giving me information that's correct."

Circuit Judge Raag Singhal ruled Friday that Snipes wrongly destroyed public records because:

- The elections office is required to maintain the ballots in federal elections for 22 months, while Snipes destroyed the ballots after 12 months, which is the retention period for state elections.

- The ballots were the subject of a pending lawsuit, so it would take a court order from the judge in the case to allow their destruction.

Snipes "has not presented any evidence refuting that the public records sought were destroyed while this case was pending before this court," Singhal said.

Snipes will appeal the decision, said her attorney, Burnadette Norris-Weeks. "We think the judge is wrong," Norris-Weeks said. The elections office never refused to provide access to the ballots, she said. Instead, it rejected a request by Canova to use outside equipment to scan the ballots, Norris-Weeks said. Also, it didn't receive a partial payment to cover the costs of the public records request until days before the suit was filed and the scanned copies of the ballots it can currently provide are "accurate and inherently reliable," she said. "It was a mistake [destroying the original ballots], but the ballots were preserved," Norris-Weeks said. "They were scanned shortly after the election."

It's not known if the judge's ruling would lead to any charges. A spokeswoman for Broward State Attorney Michael Satz said the office had not been aware of the ruling, but would obtain a copy of the judge's order and look into it. Canova said he contacted the Federal Bureau of Investigation twice in recent months prior to the judge's ruling because it appeared federal ballot retention requirements were violated, but he said he has received no response from the agency. The ruling does allow Canova to have the attorney fees he has paid be reimbursed by the elections office. Leonard Collins, his attorney, said those costs exceed $200,000 already.

Canova has also gotten the state to take interest in his case. The governor's office said the state election monitoring will be so "the citizens of Broward Country can have the efficient, properly run election they deserve. The Secretary of State's office will continue to ensure that every Supervisor of Elections understands and follows the law," the governor's statement said. Norris-Weeks said she isn't sure what type of monitoring is envisioned and sees it as an effort by Republican state leaders to get some control over the heavily Democratic county.

Canova, who is a professor at Nova Southeastern University, would like to see Snipes lose her job. "I think dismissal is an appropriate remedy," Canova said. The judge's ruling cited a previous case that held "dismissal was an appropriate sanction for failing to preserve evidence 'even though the destruction of evidence may have resulted from negligence rather than an attempt to obstruct justice." Collins said Snipes failed in one of her most important duties. "He was absolutely stonewalled by the supervisor of elections," Collins said of Canova. "When they were required to provide the records to us, they destroyed them."

Canova, who had planned a primary rematch against Wasserman Schultz this year, announced in April that he was leaving the Democratic Party. He is running in the race in November as a candidate with no party affiliation.

Original text at http://www.sun-sentinel.com/lo...-20180514-story.html

Now, isn't that just like the Clinton crew? You've got an election in the bag, man, and you still had to put the fix in!!! Snipes, of course, is cast in the same mold - did you notice how quickly she threw unnamed members of her staff under the bus?

My only worry these days is that Dankie's going to be forced into retirement (at least temporarily) in the massively publicized Democratic equivalent of an Aztec sun sacrifice, and peace will henceforth reign in the DNC until the 2020 elections heat up. I mean, shoot, I was looking forward to another primary contest in Broward County!

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Snipes called the action a "mistake" during testimony she gave in the case, saying the boxes were mislabeled and there was "nothing on my part that was intentional" about the destroying the contested ballots. "When I sign, I sign folders filled with information," Snipes said in her testimony, later adding: "I trust my staff. They have the responsibility of giving me information that's correct."

Nooo, regardless of who put the package together - YOU are still responsible for what you sign for hence the reason YOU need to sign it and not your staff.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Snipes needs to lose her job and pension, then go to jail.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

If this doesn't happen, further Corruption of the electoral process will occur and faith in the vote will be lost. All that is left from there is Revolution.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
"Canova said he contacted the Federal Bureau of Investigation twice in recent months prior to the judge's ruling because it appeared federal ballot retention requirements were violated, but he said he has received no response from the agency."

I guess they were busy doing something else Roll Eyes

BTW, isn't this the same county that has the screwed up Sheriff ?

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Geez, next thing you know people will start deleting emails that are needed for an investigation.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2401 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
As long as we conveniently allow people like this to escape without any consequence, this will not only continue, but escalate.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's not known if the judge's ruling would lead to any charges.

Anyone want to lay some money?!?!?!

I figure they will try to drag this out until those who are after the information will run out of money. And, no legal actions against them will take place. They are DEMOCRAPS! after all.

Do not GAS about her "excuses" and blaming her staff. In my world, the supervisor is responsible for all actions taken by subordinates!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Elk, FWIW the state of Florida and the Florida Governor's Office are involved, and Governor Scott is a Republican.

quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
BTW, isn't this the same county that has the screwed up Sheriff ?

Why, yes, yes it is. Parkland High School is in Broward County, Florida.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
As long as we conveniently allow people like this to escape without any consequence, this will not only continue, but escalate.

Very well stated.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

If this doesn't happen, further Corruption of the electoral process will occur and faith in the vote will be lost. All that is left from there is Revolution.

I think that's the direction we are going.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I am from Ft Lauderdale and during the 60s and 70s we probably had at least 100 people in Broward county between my mother's side and my father's side. You would think that number would go up! Right now we have four family members still there and all they talk about is leaving except for my 90 year old uncle. My female cousin down there is afraid to go to the grocery store by herself. That's dankie's kingdom!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Until these government people start getting serious fines and/or jail time, they'll keep doing stuff like this and just say oops afterwords.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Considering how far Dankie's gone to protect that Pakistani guy who ran a few scams, disappeared with government property (or the money for it) and nearly escaped after leaving behind a laptop full of stolen Congressional data, I think we still have room for hope.

Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
Breaking News:

Democrats rig an election!!! Eek

stay tuned for further developments.....

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I noted this in the article:

quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
... and the scanned copies of the ballots it can currently provide.. scanned copies of the ballots it can currently provide are "accurate and inherently reliable," she said. "It was a mistake [destroying the original ballots], but the ballots were preserved," Norris-Weeks said. "They were scanned shortly after the election."

It sounds like they have scanned copies, just not the originals. I completely understand the fact that they should've retained the copies for the 24 months required under statute, but they still have scans they can examine. Overblown, IMO.

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I noted this in the article:

quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
... and the scanned copies of the ballots it can currently provide.. scanned copies of the ballots it can currently provide are "accurate and inherently reliable," she said. "It was a mistake [destroying the original ballots], but the ballots were preserved," Norris-Weeks said. "They were scanned shortly after the election."

It sounds like they have scanned copies, just not the originals. I completely understand the fact that they should've retained the copies for the 24 months required under statute, but they still have scans they can examine. Overblown, IMO.

I am guessing you don't understand how easy one can doctor a photocopied/scanned image.

This all boils down to playing by the rules. They (Democrats), scream bloody murder if one of ours is found to be playing out of bounds, but if it's one of their own, it's all peaches-n-cream. Merely an oversight by one of their staffers or some other low level schlub who will likely not be prosecuted because they are small potatoes.

There may well have been no misconduct, but it is increasingly obvious that the only times lefties win is when they cheat. If there is to be a standard, we need to apply it across the board and prosecute those that thumb their noses at us. If we don't, our elections are no different than those for some third-world shithole. Look at some of the most recent "elections" in Venezuela, Honduras, Turkey, and Russia. On the outside, it may look legit, but deep down, you know they were crooked as fuck.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
It's Rome all over again.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

I disagree. Real ballots exist in three dimensions where scanned copies only exist in two. If Bush 43 v. Gore proved nothing else, there is very definitely something valuable about being able to review the actual ballots if ballots ever physically existed.

BTW, it is generally wise to never say to a public servant that something is "good enough". All you'll get for the rest of their career is whatever they arbitrarily decide is "good enough".

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They can also CHOOSE which to scan or ignore.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post