SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    do vet's thank vet's ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

do vet's thank vet's ? Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I generally distain from any and all stickers on my vehicles, but in my old age I stuck this one on the hooptie. Granted it was $2 that went to the ball so I guess it was worth it.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Well I just got this one. No Marines hurt. Just some dumb asses.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I often thank vets for their service. I'm a vet but thankful others joined up too.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I met a gentleman today who served in WWII, Korea, AND Vietnam. I thanked him for his service and felt extremely honored to shake his hand.

I served almost 24 years, but I felt humbled to meet this guy (my service seems petty compared to his). I wished I could have spent a couple hours just listening to him talk about his service.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
In the proper setting I have and do as have other vets done so for me. I don't get to worked about it either way. I don't wear my service on my sleeve like some do (not in real life anyway). I refrain from anything advertising military service like Veteran plates , window stickers, etc. I guess it's just falling back upon the advise given on my first day as a part of NAVSPECWAR Group 2. They always told us not to do anything that would make us a target and those very items were among the specific examples given. So... in my daily life about the only folks who know I'm a vet are other vets so every once in while someone will ask and give thanks, when they do I reciprocate.

I do however make it a point to thank active duty for their service and any Vet from the Greatest Generation.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky to be around vets often.

I notice that vets in the same age group don't tend to thank each other. Instead they sort of share a camaraderie about their service and typically show a genuine respect for each other.

When I see a larger age gap I do see some form of thanks, always mutual.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I only served thirty-three years all but ten days, full-time, no reserve time, so I can hardly be considered to have served this country...as a result, I've never once been thanked for my service, either by a veteran or a civilian.

I guess that here in yUK nobody gives a shit whether you served or not.

One of the older members of our village Thursday Club, now in his 90's, not only served his country, but went ashore in Normandy in 1944 with the Royal Norfolk Regiment, and got away from the ensuing battles intact.

I make a point of chatting with him whenever we meet up, and listening hard to what he has to say.

The short DVD of the action that took place inland from the beaches, in order to secure them from long-range artillery harrassing fire, are petrifying, to say the least. Taking German heavy gun emplacements, real concrete fortresses with many remote MG posts, cost many lives that day, most of them the Royal Norfolks.

tac

Thank you from me tac I always enjoy reading anything you post and really about your military times since I don't hear from Veteran over there.
And yep I thank Vets and active duty folks too.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I welcome home every Nam Vet I meet. Have walked across a room to do so and have had that done to me.

There is a definite closeness.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I do.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll be the odd man out here.

I think that the "Thank you for your service" has been so overdone in recent years that it has become essentially meaningless, not unlike "Hero" and "Thoughts and prayers".

People say these things nowadays because they think they need to or because everyone else does, rather than as a genuinely heart-felt expression (of course, there are exceptions). To me, it/they has/have become tired, meaningless, disingenuous, and somewhat aggravating.

I was in from 86-90, during which time I did nothing of note other than what I was told and collecting a (paltry) paycheck. I happily got out when I could. Someone not too long ago learned of my Army service and thanked me for it. Roll Eyes Save it. I signed up for a (lousy) paying job and money for college, not for any greater good or to kill terrorists or save the world from the commies. It was simply a means to an end and nothing else for me at the time.

Thank someone who actually deserves it and has earned it...and when you mean it.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Only war I was a part of was the Cold War. I always feel strange when thanked for my service. Compared to the men who've seen day to day action, my contribution always seems minuscule in comparison. When I meet a vet I usually exchange unit and date information and go from there with conversation most anyone else wouldn't understand.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Sure.

I served 1981-1990, only conflict during that time was shooting down a couple Libyan planes who tried to start some shit, Grenada, and Panama (Noriega). I wasn’t involved even remotely in any of that and got out just before the Desert Shield build up. Usually when folks thank me I feel that compared to the warriors of the past 20 years, I really dont deserve it.

The recognition from other veterans really hit me one day last year. I have a Marine Corps sticker and US Flag/pledge decal on the back of my truck. I get a lot of compliments on it. People ask me about it and will frequently take pictures of it.

Here is a pic before I added the EGA with “USMC” underneath to the driver side similar size to my wife’s prayer decal on the passenger side...
IMG_3988 by Wayne Wilson, on Flickr

I was getting out of the truck one day at the grocery store as a young man with his wife and child were approaching from the passenger side, walking down the parking lot aisle. He was I guess to be in his 20s with longer, shaggier hair than I would wear or wish to see my sons wear and some facial scruff that was neither stubble nor beard/mustache. See it all the time on the younger generation and I have become used to it. The timing was such that I was getting out and still on the drivers side as he approached.

He commented on the decal, noticed the EGA and asked if I served, I replied I did 9 years and he thanked me for my service. It was an honest, heartfelt thanks, not the kind of casual, almost forced ones I sometimes see. Given his appearance, it actually kind of shocked me. He mentioned that he just got out of the Corps a year earlier, but was “only” in for 2 years.

While I didn’t entirely believe him at the time (again, his appearance) I thanked him for his thanks and thanked him for his service as well just as I came around the end of the truck and got my first full view of the man. This Marine was wearing shorts and had a high-tech prosthetic leg with an above the knee amputation. I immediately felt like absolute shit for mentally questioning him based on appearance.

Trying to maintain composure (acute allergy flare up I believe) I told him he gave far, far more in his 2 years than I did in my 9 and then I thanked him again as well as his wife and child for their sacrifice.

Shit, even typing this up the damn allergies are starting to flare...

Dadgum allergies flared up here too. Must be all the damn cats in the house.

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It took me a long time sitting here to decide whether I should respond to this or keep my thoughts to myself. But the asshole in me just had to say something...

I don't particularly like people thanking me for something that I think EVERYONE should do in the first place.
On top of that, how do I know if they are sincere or just following the current trend of appearing to be thankful for something they really don't give two shits about.
I signed up in 71 with a draft number of 306.
I could not respect myself for the rest of my life if I didn't do my part. How could I thank someone for going over when I stayed in the rear with the girls.

Sorry for the rant. Just don't thank me.
If I know that you are a VET just know that I have your back.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USMCE4retired:
It took me a long time sitting here to decide whether I should respond to this or keep my thoughts to myself. But the asshole in me just had to say something...

I don't particularly like people thanking me for something that I think EVERYONE should do in the first place.
On top of that, how do I know if they are sincere or just following the current trend of appearing to be thankful for something they really don't give two shits about.
I signed up in 71 with a draft number of 306.
I could not respect myself for the rest of my life if I didn't do my part. How could I thank someone for going over when I stayed in the rear with the girls.

Sorry for the rant. Just don't thank me.
If I know that you are a VET just know that I have your back.

Your answer was perfect but not to the question asked Smile . "Do Vets Thank Vets"

If I were to thank you, it would be sincere and not because others are trending that way. it would be from one vet to another, me boy.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this helps, thanks.

even if you didn't throw a grenade that ended a battle, shoulder an M60, or cart others to the front in an APC,
you may have been away from Mom and dad, you may have been missing your gal or wife or just longing for that peaceful farm pond on a spring day, that was a thousand miles away.

If I say it or pay it it's by all means sincere.

thanks to those making what ever sacrifice

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"Do Vets Thank Vets"

Yes, they do!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I see a Vet with something stating Viet Vet I Always say "Welcome Home Brother or Sister".
People who say Thank You for Your Service when I'm wearing My Viet Vet hat (Grandkids got it for Me)
makes Me feel Weird.

Posts: 10 | Location: Kalamazoo,Mi | Registered: March 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
weird uncomfortable ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Like USMC above, I was hesitant to reply.

I had enlisted and returned home from Nam 28 December 1969.

People affiliated with USAA, TriWest, and the VA always make it a point to say: "Thank you for your service." My reply is always "You are welcome."

However, when anyone from my generation says this, I have to bite my tongue not to say "You are about fifty years too late."

To answer your question, no I never thank a vet for their service because I believe that no one in the volunteer service, enlisted to receive my thanks - or any thanks - they enlisted for many reasons, but none were for approbation and I will not insult them by this meaningless phrase.

Over the past years, I have had the opportunity to be in the presence of several WW II Medal of Honor holders. The first was an elderly gentleman in a three piece suit in an elevator back in the early 1970s. He was wearing the MOA lapel pin. I was also in a suit. When I entered the elevator there was only the two of us. I did not say a word. I came to attention and saluted him. He nodded his head in acknowledgement and we didn't say a word. I learned a great deal from that one encounter.

I meet three other WW II holders. I did not salute them, but gave them all the respect and courtesy I could muster.

Short answer: Basically, I am uncomfortable when someone thanks me. I was doing my duty for my country as I saw it. I do not wear the hats, etc., because they are "Hey, look at what I did." I do not thank other vets because they probably feel the way I do - especially the Nam vets,

Guess I have turned into a old fart. Smile

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2274 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post