SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone own a new Civic Type R?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone own a new Civic Type R? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
What are your thoughts?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want one, but couldn't justify it right now.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a Honda racist until I bought a Subaru. Now I think they are equal. Had I not found Subaru I would definitely own one but I like AWD so I'm going STI. I live in an area with pretty nasty winters. If you have bad weather you may want to take a look at the Suby, but I don't think you could go wrong with a Type R. I'm not really sure but you will probably have a great time in the Type RBig Grin Actually I'm really sure you will. Honda's are just fun.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Just looked at Type R, Fusion Sport, and STI. Type R were selling above MSRP around here, no great deals on the Subaru, got the Fusion Sport. Faster than the STI and only tenth of a second slower in 0-60 and .2 on 1/4 mike than Civic, but it's AWD instead of FWD, I imagine the Civic has a ton of torque steer

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
No torque steer in the Type R. I’ve considered selling my Lightning to make room for one, but can’t bring myself to do it.

https://www.wired.com/story/ho...type-r-torque-steer/

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
No torque steer in the Type R. I’ve considered selling my Lightning to make room for one, but can’t bring myself to do it.

Yes got under/torque confused. The R's has nearly eliminated torque steer.

I watched that engineering everything link in the article. He's awwsome.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't own one, but I've been drooling over them and stopping at every dealership just to spy one. I found them in Tucson and LA. They're still asking $3-10K over MSRP. Once crazy dealer in LA was asking $15K over.

I'll continue to enjoy my modest Civic Si from 2002 with 170K.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was looking at one yesterday while my Si was in the shop and they're selling it for MSRP, give or take.

The guy handling my car suggested looking for used cars that turned over fast as "mistakes" by their original owners.

It's absurd: nearly all the USED listings I saw were just about full MSRP.

I mean, I could get a brand new one for the price of a used one. Crazy.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Check out my avatar. 2018 Aegean Blue Metallic.

Just do it. You won’t regret it. Mine is a daily driver, but it doesn’t know rain or snow.

Have to watch out for potholes.

Just do it.

Bought mine for MSRP one year ago.

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Yes got under/torque confused. The R's has nearly eliminated torque steer.

I watched that engineering everything link in the article. He's awwsome.

Yeah he’s pretty good. As for understeer, even if it has a little, a set of Koni adjustables will cure that. It did with my 07 Si sedan.

———————————————

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
Just do it.

That right there aint bad advise ( If it won't break the bank ). Nothing quite as fun as driving a nimble car with some HP. Oh, a Honda seems to keep a good resale value.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I got rid of my 06 SI a couple months ago. Keep in mind that it will require premium gas. And mine averaged around 20 mpg. So dont get it thinking you will save on fuel.

I only had the car for a couple years. I finally decided I'm not 20 any more and I wanted something with a better ride. You could feel every crack in the road. If I had the money I would have kept it around for an occasional driver. It was a fun little car. Just not something I wanted for a daily driver.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Isn’t this one of the quickest front wheel drive cars in the world? Friend of mine was debating between this and a WRX STI. He ended up going with the WRX but he never got the chance to drive the Type R.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I get around 31 mpg-but I’m I’m not driving like I’m on a track. If I really try, I can get 39 mpg, but that is *really* going easy and working towards mpgs.

If I stomp on the gas and drive *spirited* the mpg drops to around 28 mpg.

I’ve read of people averaging 22 mpg-I can’t imagine how they can get so low-they must be flooring it and high revving it and never getting out of 3rd gear!

Premium top-tier gas is highly recommended.

The OEM tires are *very* sticky and pick up every loose bit of debris on the road, but man, they help the car handle great!

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can eek out 25-26mpg combined on my '12 Si and about 33mpg highway, but can easily get as low as 22mpg just around here because of lights, traffic, etc. So getting that kind of mileage out of the Type R is fantastic!

Potholes are a major problem around here, though, and narrow roads so avoiding them in winter/spring is pretty much impossible. Some roads are nothing but potholes.

Out of curiosity, do you just keep the OEM tires on and just not drive the Type R in inclement weather? The sticker at the dealer said to keep a second set of tires around, not to stop driving.

SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
I use the OEM tires in the summer; when late September rolls around, I switch to "All season (Roll Eyes)” Nitto Neo Gen high-performance tires. This allows me to use the same tire size. There are not a lot of aftermarket options with the OEM size. The OEM apparently are not for use below about 40 deg F.

I just keep one set of OEM tires and OEM wheels for summer, and another set of OEM wheels with the Nitto Neo Gen for fall/spring.

As mentioned above, the car does not know snow or rain. It was garaged from November until April. There are options for smaller diameter wheels which opens up options for all-season tires for winter use should one choose drive in the snow...I choose not to!

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

As long as you don't tune it you'll be fine. Add in any additional power and it'll induce torque steer. This class of car, with turbos, most people tune. They tune to get more power, acceleration, and you also get more MPG when your foot isn't in it.

I loathe the current CTR. It looks like a Fast and Festerment car with a bad body kit. I like Honda a lot. But I think they should have put their SH-AWD on it for the price they are charging. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for FWD. Front wheel drive was put in as a drivetrain for MPG reasons. Less drivetrain loss with the engine sitting right over the powered axle/half shafts. FWD just isn't a performance drive train and it never will be. ITR or CTR, sorry it's just not a performance drive train. Honda basically copied Ford's rev-knuckle suspension design from the Mk2 Focus RS to eliminate most torque steer. It's far from a new design. Honda all of a sudden does it and it's a big deal? Nah, it's been done before by Ford Performance in Europe.
Honda needs to put their excellent all wheel drivetrain in the car and tone down the looks. I'm more of a function over form guy but the thing just looks hideous. Hideous as in a high school kid's car. A grown adult driving that? Not me. The STI is a much better option and Subaru makes a version with the wing delete so you don't have that hideous ironing board on the back. The STi has 3 diffs so you have a true all season machine with proper tires. Summer, fall, winter, spring, rain, snow, name it, it'll punch right through it. You can't say the same for the CTR. And the WRX is a much better buy than anything in the class. If you want a true hatch, grab a Golf R as they are finally discounting them now. I am seeing $2500 off, easily, with either DCT or manual version.

And any cars in this class, the wheel size and tires are a complete joke. I have a Focus RS and it came with 19" 35 series tires, the Golf R, current STi, and CTR all have narrow tires which are all a joke. I sold mine the same month I got it and went to 18" 40 series tires (235/40/18) so whatever you decide ditch the OEM wheels. I've seen STI/CTR/GolfR/RS owner after owner ruining wheels via potholes or road irregularities. You don't have this problem with the WRX.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
If they toned down the rear wing and some of the trim, I'd be a bit more interested.

Respect for what it is, but its current state doesn't get me wanting to part with my $$$.

I'd go GTI/Golf R first.

There were some spy shots of what looked like a Type R with the Si rear wing & it looks better to me. Not finding it in a quick google search, though.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
To each their own! I think the look of the rear wing completes the package, and I think the car looks incomplete without it. I've really grown to love the look in one year ownership. The whole package (IMNSHO) works, and love it or hate it, the look is unique!

I'm far from a "fast and furious" type, BTW!

The wing is functional, in point of fact...arguably, the hood scoop has some cooling function, but that is debatable. I think the hood scoop adds to the look, however...and the car is far from a "pretender.'

At Nurburgring, the Typr R beat/bested the lap times of the Porsche Panerama Turbo, the 996 Porsche 911 Turbo, the Z06 Corvette, the Ferrari F430 F1, the Caterham R500, the Renault Megane RS 275 Trophy, the 997 Porsche 911 Turbo, the Nissan GT-R, the Mercedes CLK DTM AMG, and the Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4 (yes, I had to do an internet search!).

So, loathe away ( Wink) but I'll keep loving mine!

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’m 46 years old and love everything about the styling of the Type R. It has the performance to back up the looks.

As for all-wheel drive, no need for that extra weight and power loss. A few people complained about the lack of AWD on the SVT Lightnings when they first came out. If you can put the power down on dry asphalt, I don’t need AWD. Not to mention you can further develop your driving skills with FWD or RWD alone without further driving up the cost of the platform with AWD. Even with AWD, you’d better not be driving like an idiot on snow or ice covered roads.

———————————————