SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My friend's dog Ted
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My friend's dog Ted Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
This is Ted, AKA Teddy, Teddy Man, Tedward.

My friend adopted him from the shelter five years ago, he was eight at the time and was scheduled to be put down the very next day, nobody had shown any interest in an older dog, however when she saw him smiling in his photo she knew she had to have him. Originally her sister was going to take care of him, however he took to my friend so much from the start that those plans were scrapped.

It was a rocky start, apparently he had come from an abusive situation, and he was very timid. An odd thing about it is we think that whomever did the abuse was left handed, any time you reached out to pet him using the left hand he would panic and hide under the bed, but not when using the right hand. It took him some time to warm up to me, he would constantly watch me out of the corner of his eye, I told my friend more than once he looked at me as though I was going to cut out his liver and eat it. I took the path of not paying attention to him and allowing him to accept me, or not, in his own good time. This he eventually did, though it took a couple of years. The gentlest of dogs, he wouldn't hurt a fly, I have never heard him growl in anger. My friend has said often that she is unsure who rescued whom, she was at a low point in her life at the time and has called him "a Godsend".

This morning he is making his last visit to the vet, due to health issues, his age and the fact that my friend's financial situation simply won't allow it the only alternative is to send him across the rainbow bridge. There are no nokill shelters that will can take him, my friend wouldn't turn him over to strangers to live out what time is left to him, anyway. She is, as is to be expected, crushed, I myself have having trouble typing this, my eyes keep getting blurry. I told her earlier that sometimes we have to do terrible things in the name of love.

As the man said in a movie "Gonna need a moment alone, boys."

Thanks for letting me share.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
prayer's up;heart sent.

Posts: 8 | Registered: July 12, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGINT-228
posted Hide Post
RIP Ted! Frown

------------------------------------------------------------
“Come on you sons of bitches, do you want to live forever?” Sergeant Major Dan Daly (USMC)

Posts: 1097 | Registered: August 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Take comfort in the love Ted gave the both of you.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I will say a prayer for all of you. Dogs are a Godsend.

Good boy Teddy, good boy.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear this. Ted looks like a great dog. Your friend can take solace in knowing she did the right thing, both during his life & now at the end. It doesn't make it any easier.

You both have my condolences. Rest assured Teddy has a bunch of new friends waiting to meet him.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear Club. "Special" does not begin to express how special they are. A Prayer for you both.

Teddy will join all of our special family members in that special place.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My condolences to you and your friend. One of the saddest duties we get is taking a beloved pet on their last ride.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Have been through two tumor surgeries the past 2 years with my dog, my wife and I have decided not to put her through another one, so we are approaching the same place in the near future. Ted looks like a great little dog. Sounds like he had a great home with lots of love, there isn't anything more we can give them.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I like dogs in all flavors, but Teddy is adorable.

To Teddy, it's been 36 years of 2 way love.

The bigger and softer the heart, the larger the target for pain and ease for injury.

Odd, I watched a Dragonheart movie last night.

Best I can come up with, is the Teddy and your friend's hearts became melded and each had a piece of the other.

My wishes and prayers for such a difficult time.

They wait for us...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
RIP Teddie and prayers said for both you and your friend.

We are nearing this soon too with our remaining 2 dogs and are not looking forward to it. Here they are sound asleep on the sofa:

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
As pet owners this is one of the hardest things we have to do. Stay strong and remember the good times you had with him.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
My part of my heart goes with you Teddy..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Frown

My condolences.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
So hard to take when we have to make those decisions. Was one of the hardest things I have had to do.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Prayers for all. RIP Ted. Dogs are fur angles.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I’m typing this with an adopted dog, a rescued cat, and a rescued dog all sound asleep surrounding me so I understand the sadness that losing Ted will cause. My dog has been my best friend going on 12 years and my cat is the best thing that came out of a relationship that I thought would last the rest of my life. Animals capture your heart and absolutely take a piece of you with them when they go. Despite that fact, I wouldn’t have it any other way. You and your friend have done right by Ted and gave him a second chance that was so obviously filled with love. I have no doubt that his life was so much better as a result. Rest easy, Ted, and keep all of our furry friends company when you arrive at your next destination.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing, sir.

Heartfelt prayers for you all.

Lindsay and Cooper will keep Ted company.

God bless.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I understand the sadness.....boy do I ever. I am so sorry.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent. A very good boy is going where there’s no more pain, only lots of other dogs to play with while he waits for his humans.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post