SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Scripted Local News - Nationwide...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scripted Local News - Nationwide... Login/Join 
Picture of sgalczyn
posted
Left or Right-wing..............it's not right:

viral clip highlighting a mandatory promo released by the right-wing Sinclair Broadcasting company, which owns more than 200 local news stations across the country, has drawn widespread concern.

A video compilation of dozens of local news anchors repeating the same script was released by Deadspin over the weekend, and now the nation's largest owner of local television stations is facing backlash for its pro-Trump propaganda.

How America's largest local TV owner turned its news anchors into soldiers in Trump's war on the media: https://t.co/iLVtKRQycL pic.twitter.com/dMdSGellH3

— Deadspin (@Deadspin) March 31, 2018

Deadspin's story followed a report from CNN last month that said the right-leaning Sinclair is mandating its local affiliates read aloud a promotional campaign that condemns other news outlets for pushing “fake stories.” Echoing President Donald Trump’s derision of the mainstream media, the anchors warn millions of unsuspecting viewers that “[T]his is extremely dangerous to our democracy.”

The promos, which began airing on the station last week, are part of a Sinclair campaign that forces local anchors to read Sinclair-written scripts warning of the dangers of "one-sided news stories plaguing our country."

"The sharing of biased and false news has become all too common on social media," the script reads. "More alarming, national media outlets are publishing these same fake stories without checking facts first.”

The script does not identify any particular media outlets, or what kind of biases it is asking viewers to be aware of.

According to Deadspin the script has "brought upheaval to newsrooms already dismayed with Sinclair's consistent interference to bring right-wing propaganda to local television broadcasts."

https://www.salon.com/2018/04/...or-fake-news-script/

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4570 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Salon? Yeah whatever. I couldn't care less what they say. This story gets zero credence from me.

And yeah, I watched the video.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scripted Local News - Nationwide...

Yawn. TV news is dead.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10889 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sargespd
posted Hide Post
I think what Sinclair is doing is great. They are acknowledging that for many years, local stations have been parroting whatever left leaning national stories they were fed from the network.

I shave with Occam's razor

Posts: 3654 | Location: Springdale (Cincinnati) Ohio USA | Registered: January 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Rest assured that whatever liberals accuse the right of doing, GDCs are doing ten times more of it.

Posts: 26891 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this. My wife & I noticed this last week & continues to date on our local FOX.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
They've always just been talking heads saying what they're paid to say.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something-something I can use
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
what did they say that wasn't true?

they're making sure that the truth gets out there

good for them

as for the other 'media' - don't care what they think and if it paints them in a bad light, perhaps they should look at what they've done for the past 2 years

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I don't have any problem with this. Particularly for national and international stories, for decades local news editors just took whatever was on the news wires and simply regurgitated it for their talking heads and "news reporters". As if anyone with half a brain actually believed the the bubbly blonde reciting at the local TV desk has insight on the stories and content themselves. Having it scripted at HQ and recited verbatim at all of their outlets isn't all that different. Whether a viewer chooses to believe or pay attention...well, that's still their choice and power. Turn off the set or change channels.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
when is the last time you sever saw a 'news reader' that wasn't reading from a teleprompter?

its ALL scripted anyways

some is just true, most is just fairy tales

the fairy tales are pissed that someone is telling the truth

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Am I missing something? It sounds as if Sinclair is trying to make sure that some facts are disseminated from these stations. Why do I see members saying "ho hum" and acting indifferent to this?

Either I have missed the point of this story, or you guys have. Which is it?

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I see the commercial - if that's what it should be called - about every night. The local Sinclair station is WKRC, the namesake of WKRP. Its only interesting because they've really toned down the left wing nonsense they were spewing in the past. Interesting because the tall woman was about as left as a person could be. When the name Obama was mentioned, she about had an orgasm right on the air.

I still dispute the idea they're fair and balanced, but more so than in the past. Their old slogan used to be "on line, on the air, and on the go." Which I corrupted to "on line, on the air, and on the left."

They still lean left. Any news story they can put out that advocates gun control or puts it in a good light is given top priority. Never a pro gun story. Still, change has to be good because in the past, they were as lefty as they could be.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
It's funny that Rush has been doing that bit for years - playing clips of liberal media saying the exact same thing, day after day. All of a sudden it becomes a national media story when a promo critical of liberal media is played.

How did the media report on this story?

Scripted, you say?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
My problem with this is that the speech is made as if it’s the anchors opinion when it’s not...it’s been prepared for them. It would have been more honest if they said “our national leadership would like us to read the following” not dress it up in the guise of hey this is just this anchors humble opinion. It’s disingenuous. In a way it’s condeming fake news with more fake news. I don’t have a problem with the content.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
My concern is it's a canned "statement" across multiple different networks, presented as an opinion by the speaker.

What is its origin? Who is pulling the strings?

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back before Jon Stewart and the Daily Show went full libtard they used to show clips of local and national media outlets using the same talking points pretty much verbatim. It's been going on for years, but of course is only an issue when the left wants to use it as ammo. Screw them with the horse they rode in on.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
In related news, McDonalds stores buy their meat from the corporation.

Posts: 7449 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Dissemination of “facts,” no problem.

Dissemination of a “viewpoint,” big problem.

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post