SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Here is what my retirement is shaping up like. Added, Moving out west and going off grid. 10-24-19 update page 7.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here is what my retirement is shaping up like. Added, Moving out west and going off grid. 10-24-19 update page 7. Login/Join 
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
You are in the right place for it brother. Hope the AC is up and running soon. The ice maker too. Also hope they are of the big varietyWink

High desert, might need AC for a few days, but not much!

quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
You might have told us this and I've simply forgotten, but how much will that solar array drive, energy wise? Will it power anything that pulls as much as an a/c?

Great pics, still living vicariously through you. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I was wondering the same thing too. Seems a little light for powering a house.

I'm still learning the practical side of available power vs. numbers.

I have 5400w of panels for dc power and 850ah of battery that I can use down to 50% when inverted to AC 110/120v. We have stayed in our small 20' RV for two days now and I have drawn power down to 85% battery power each night.That is running 1 20cf fridge, 2 led shop lights, abd a Mac Mini for the system. The RV has a small fridge, hot water heater and the AC to DC converted running. Currently I'm trying to draw as much power as possible for a few days to exercise the batteries.

Each day for two days, within 3 hours of sunlight I am back to 100% on the batteries and stay there all day powering the same things as listed above. So I imagine I could power AC during the day.

Here is current use

Use since midnight.

Green is power I have made in KW, Dark blue is Power to the batteries in KW, and light blue is power out of the batteries in KW.

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
HVAC is the largest draw on any electrical system, your current set up would not power most conventual HVAC set ups given the amount of start up power required and running loads. Are you guys planning on using something different than an standard A/C system when you set up?

In case I missed it, what are you building for a dwelling?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would assume it wouldn’t be that hard to add on a row of panels if needed.
May I ask the cost of the power setup? Rebates?

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
HVAC is the largest draw on any electrical system, your current set up would not power most conventual HVAC set ups given the amount of start up power required and running loads. Are you guys planning on using something different than an standard A/C system when you set up?

In case I missed it, what are you building for a dwelling?

We haven't decided the exact dwelling yet, but in the 800-1000 sq ft range. Probably do a mini split or maybe some type of evaporative cooling as we are in the high desert and it is very arid here. Honestly, my inlaws (in their 60s) have been here for 6 years without AC. It's not the necessity here everyone thinks it is. There is no humidity except for very short periods after the monsoon season.

quote:
Originally posted by TBH:
I would assume it wouldn’t be that hard to add on a row of panels if needed.
May I ask the cost of the power setup? Rebates?

I can double the number of panels I have, but it can be complicated because of series and parralel arrangements to meet the requirements of the charge controllers. My cost included about $1500 in tools, $3100 for a 14kw Kohler propane standby generator, $2500 building materials (lumber/cement/rock/electrical supplies), and $19.8k for the system. So $26.9k for the system. Getting 30% tax credit which is a dollar for dollar deduction on my tax liability. Getting our first tax return in over 15 years, $6775! All of this years taxes we paid coming back and rolling $900 credit into next year.

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet that system can run a smartly built 800-1000sf home with a swamp cooler and gas/propane/wood heat, gas range. Small, well insulated space with DC wiring direct for lights and only using the inverter for the outlets.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
Everybody has to have plans...

Yours are awesome!

Congrats

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
So jelly! Looks great!!

I should be picking up my RV in less than 30 days. After that, another 5 months until I really start using it (if I get that @#$% deck replaced/repaired and the house sold LOL).

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As for the size of the house, you can plan bigger and cordon off the areas with doors and zones so that you have room for others when they visit.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
Update, getting some things accomplished.

Generator is up and running, although I am having issues with the auto choke on cold start. I believe it is one of two things, re-jetting the carb for the altitude or getting an adjustable regulator for the propane. I can manually keep it going on a cold start by holding the throttle open and it runs and starts fine when it's warmed up. AGS from the power wall works perfect and it is set to exercise for 10 minutes once every two weeks.

Getting the gun cave/conex squared away and started on some reloading this week too.

Finally shooting too. This is an 8" gong at 200 yards. Been eyeing a dueling tree and my father-in-law is gonna teach me to weld so a plate rack is in my future too.

I have finally settled the 9 vs 45 argument. When your wife asks you to shoot some holes in the burn barrel, 45acp has better holes for air flow. Love that woman!

Relic loves hiking and sunsets. Every morning we do about a 30 minute hike.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
LOVE IT!

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I bet that system can run a smartly built 800-1000sf home with a swamp cooler and gas/propane/wood heat, gas range. Small, well insulated space with DC wiring direct for lights and only using the inverter for the outlets.
Swamp coolers require a lot of water, don't they?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Satellite for internet?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Satellite for internet?

Wifi, I'm 9ish miles line of site to a tower. Verizon prepaid unlimited.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
We enjoy watching the shows about building off grid. It's became obvious from watching that having the dream and making it reality isn't easy. The time limits to build and budgets are not often achieved. Still, I wouldn't mind being in a finished place away from the maddening crowds.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
Not much new happening on the ranch. Sme good walks with the dogs and losing 25lbs and two belt holes Smile

Been really busy helping my inlaws and have traveled back to Virginia a couple times to help daughter with grandson who has stage 4 cancer. While I was in sunny Virginia with wonderful sunny weather my wife was holding down the fort.

Sunset three weeks ago........

Weather 4 days ago.........

Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
First home defense shooting at the new property. I put up signs, but evidently snakes can't read Smile. Not my problem, if you are deadly and you come inside the fence line you will be uninvited with extreme prejudice. I do not offer relocation services!

At least he had a good last meal, in the pic of him coiled bhind the water tank you can see a lizard tail sticking out of his mouth.

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
New hatband?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
New hatband?

I haven't learned skinning them yet, it's on the list of things to do. Also shot it's bottom jaw off with shot #2 from Ruger 22/45 Smile

Second 2500gln tank and water harvesting kit installed. Have 15 gallons of first stage divirter. Third tank will be going next to this one before the end of the month for a total of 7500 gallons of storage. Then plumbed into the building to a pump. Haven't figured out the rest just yet.

Built a shed for the generator and propane. Mostly just to keep the sun off of them. Screened in the exhaust side of the genny.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Great thread, love all the updates!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am digging this thread. I have aspirations of a semi-off -grid place in the Appalachian Mtns.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post