SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help with lawn care, grass seed recommendation for fall overseeding.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with lawn care, grass seed recommendation for fall overseeding. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I have a new lawn as we built our house and had lawn from the end of May. I've overseeded the contractor garbage a bunch. But we have a lot of crab grass. I'll have to deal with that in the spring. So I want to oversee now. We are having a sprinkler system put in at this moment. So I will be able to keep it watered. But there are so many seed mixes I have no idea what I should use. I'd love one of those full lush green lawns. I think getting it going in fall is a good idea as I've read the pre-emergent crab grass preventer stops new grass from growing and I'll need to stop the crab grass.

We have mainly sand under our loam and the contractor didn't really give much loam. I'll take any recommendations. Hoping to go buy seed today.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12422 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I went with a local lawn service and am very happy with it. It's probably not a lot more expensive than doing it yourself. They provide the appropriate seed for your area, aeration, fertilization, weed control, etc.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
I went with a local lawn service and am very happy with it. It's probably not a lot more expensive than doing it yourself. They provide the appropriate seed for your area, aeration, fertilization, weed control, etc.

I had a local guy at my last house that was great. But I haven't found anyone here that I trust. Basically we only have rip off chains like Tru-Green. I'm content to do it myself. I just need to start learning what to do a bit more.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12422 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Go for it. I'd rather sip bourbon, smoke my pipe and make sure the gate is unlocked for them. I mow it and water it but would rather not fuck with any of the rest of it. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm rototilling parts of my yard that got infested with weeds. I'm in Mid-Atlantic swamp outside DC. Would love to know what's best for my region in sunnny and shady areas. Front in more clay content and dry, rear is more organic and wetter. Want something that grows short, dense, dark green grass. Anyone know where I can get this unicorn grass? Or maybe just something that will grow and is robust.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Where is ensigmatic? He’s the Yoda of lawn care. Hopefully he sees this and chimes in.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have mainly sand under our loam and the contractor didn't really give much loam. I'll take any recommendations. Hoping to go buy seed today.

I'd put down some topsoil first. Around here you can get a dump truck delivered for a little over $100. I know, everything's more expensive in Mass... Razz
But you're probably wasting your money on good seed if you've got bad dirt.
Spread out your topsoil, rake it a bit to fill in holes and low areas, then rake in your new seed.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Find a local place that supplies the pros. Find out what the pros are using for your mix of sun and shade. Buy that.

You'll also want to put down a fall/winter feed. IIRC I put down a Lesco 32-0-8 or the like last fall. Lawn greened right up after it thawed this spring.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

I'd put down some topsoil first. Around here you can get a dump truck delivered for a little over $100. I know, everything's more expensive in Mass... Razz
But you're probably wasting your money on good seed if you've got bad dirt.
Spread out your topsoil, rake it a bit to fill in holes and low areas, then rake in your new seed.

I can't even get free fill delivered for that cheap. It was about $22/yard for screened loam last time I bought it. That was about 10 years ago. I do have a few inches of loam, but the builder definitely didn't give us 6" everywhere. It's a big property.

quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Find a local place that supplies the pros. Find out what the pros are using for your mix of sun and shade. Buy that.

You'll also want to put down a fall/winter feed. IIRC I put down a Lesco 32-0-8 or the like last fall. Lawn greened right up after it thawed this spring.

Thanks. I plan to do fall feed. I also may need to lime. I'm thinking I'll do that when I seed but not really sure. I have a soil tester on it's way to see if I need lime. But based on the weeds and color of my grass, even after fertilizing I think it's probably acidic. But that is just from reading a bit this morning.

These go to eleven.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't even get free fill delivered for that cheap. It was about $22/yard for screened loam last time I bought it.

I usually just find a farmer near the river bottom who has a dump truck... but I live near the Meramec and Mississippi rivers.

Here's a source you might try.
http://wjgraves.com/products/loam/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Turf-Type Tall Fescue is what Lawn Doctor recommends and uses.

Since I overseeded my front and side lawn last fall with Kentucky 31 and it's grown in well and I really like it, I'm having LD power seed the same front and side areas this fall with Kentucky 31, I will supply the seed which I get from Tractor Supply. It's not as fine as other grass, but it's very tough and hardy and I think it looks just fine:

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

I had a local guy at my last house that was great. But I haven't found anyone here that I trust. Basically we only have rip off chains like Tru-Green. I'm content to do it myself. I just need to start learning what to do a bit more.

Don’t be so quick to knock Tru-Green. Granted it is a chain so results can vary greatly.
I got tired of fighting the my lawn and went to all the neighbors with the best lawns. All but 1 used Tru-Green.
This is my second year with them and they have done a whole lot better than I ever did lawn looks great and is not terribly expensive for the treatments.

I will be seeding myself however they want $255.
I bought the seed for $67 and will rent an aerator for $45.

I can’t give advise on seed for you specifically as I know nothing about your area.
I was suggested by a fella who used to do the works in landscaping but now only mows.
I buy the Hound Dog Fescue mix from Rural King and does great in my Central KY location.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I personally love Midnight but it is expensive. John Deere/Lesco had a tri-mix of bluegrass seed that was a little cheaper.

For crabgrass, make sure you do not cut the lawn too close. You want a higher cut height to choke it out.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Turf-Type Tall Fescue is what Lawn Doctor recommends and uses.

Since I overseeded my front and side lawn last fall with Kentucky 31 and it's grown in well and I really like it, I'm having LD power seed the same front and side areas this fall with Kentucky 31, I will supply the seed which I get from Tractor Supply. It's not as fine as other grass, but it's very tough and hardy and I think it looks just fine:

I think I may go with tall fescue. It has long roots, which will get into the sand and if it dies off, well it will add organic material. I will check Tractor supply. Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Don’t be so quick to knock Tru-Green.

My problem isn't their service so much, but I had neighbors with huge problems trying to cancel. They cancelled by phone and writing and Tru-Green kept servicing them for over 2 seasons and billing them. They would show up when no one was home. It was a huge fight and eventually ended up in court.

These go to eleven.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
My problem isn't their service so much, but I had neighbors with huge problems trying to cancel. They cancelled by phone and writing and Tru-Green kept servicing them for over 2 seasons and billing them. They would show up when no one was home. It was a huge fight and eventually ended up in court.

It's easier to quit the Bloods or Crips than it is trugreen.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So, what seed did you go with?!

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

It's easier to quit the Bloods or Crips than it is trugreen.

Reminds me of when I went to quit AOL. Those pricks hated to let you go with a passion.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
So, what seed did you go with?!

I got the Kentucky 31 from Tractor supply as you suggested. I also bought some lime but my pH measurement shows I don’t need it. Will see how it goes.

These go to eleven.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you did a soil test, that's step one. In lieu of topsoil, a layer of compost evenly distributed will do wonders for your soil foundation. It's a little work to apply though.

K31 is a Gen 1 wide blade fescue that tends to grow in clumps. It's the choice of builders because its cheap and grows fast, which means a lot of mowing. I prefer a newer generation fescues with a finer blade that is more drought and disease resistant and gives a more carpet like dark green appearance. There are usually mixes developed specifically for your area. I like mixes because yard composition and sun exposure varies so that one seed in the mix may thrive in one area while a different seed may thrive in another. Jonathan Greene will likely make one for your region.

I utilize the SOD system for over seeding - September, October, December. September is areation, seed, fertilize, and lime. I like to areate heavily to give the seed better purchase. Over raking will also improve germination rates a great deal. I prefer a starter fertilizer for this one with a higher phosphorus content, the middle number on the bag. It's harder to find these days due to run-off restrictions, but this really helps get the roots going, one of the most vital aspects of your lawn's health. I fertilize again in October and December with slow release fall fertilizers.

Then, in my area, I follow up with weed/crabgrass pre-emergent in March and May, though I can get out there earlier if there's a warm spell and the weeds pop.. Next comes high nitrogen green up fertilizer in May (first number on the bag), and broadleaf control, insect control as necessary in the summer. I like to try to knock all the weeds down in August, 4 weeks before I overseed.

As for irrigation, you'll want to keep the soil damp, but not wet, until seed germination, usually 9-14 days. Then 1"/week during the growing season. An empty tuna can makes a good gauge to calibrate you irrigation system.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't, maybe 20-30 hours per year. I used to spend a great deal more than that and had an immaculate lawn, but I found I could do 20% of the work and get 90% of the results. Im in the Mid-Atlantic, timing is likely to be a little different for MA, so do your research.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I'm shocked that someone in MA overseeds.
Doesn't it get covered in snow in about 2 months?

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post