SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Please help me ID these bugs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help me ID these bugs Login/Join 
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted
Saw a lot of these cruising along in a window frame. I am afraid of what they might be as they dont look like ants.

Thanks

JB

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Look like termites to me.

https://www.google.com/search?...M:&spf=1494559706782

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amateur Astronomer
Picture of Test1968
posted Hide Post
Winged termites?

Alcohol
Tobacco
Firearms

Who brought the chips and dip?

Jim

Posts: 14023 | Location: limbo | Registered: August 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like carpenter ants to me. Almost as bad as termites.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Those are bad... call an exterminator, you may have a serious problem on your hands

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Evil. They look evil.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Thats what I was afraid of...

Thanks for the info. Calling exterminator in the morning.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"winged ants" are sexually mature ants that often become queens.

Not termites.

Termites are very different looking than ants and termites "eat" wood, the ants only nest in wood, so they are not as destructive as termites.

Ants indicate a moisture and likely rotting problem, so you might be thankful of their presence as they "alert" you to a treatable issue.

Termites present typically means they have already done a great deal of damage and are "swarming" to locate a new source of food.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There must be an ap for that. We captured one of the bugs at our place. The exterminator took a picture of it with his phone and was then able to tell us exactly what it was.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
Ants. Find the source. They ain't there for iced tea.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Carpenter ants for sure.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
"winged ants" are sexually mature ants that often become queens.

Not termites.

Termites are very different looking than ants and termites "eat" wood, the ants only nest in wood, so they are not as destructive as termites.

Ants indicate a moisture and likely rotting problem, so you might be thankful of their presence as they "alert" you to a treatable issue.

Termites present typically means they have already done a great deal of damage and are "swarming" to locate a new source of food.

Carpenter ants can have a similar detrimental affect on wood-framed structures as termites. Carpenter ants don't "eat" the wood, but they are still chewing it out from the inside and compromising the structural integrity of the building they chose to nest in. It's a bad sign if you see them coming and going from your place.

The good news is, at least in this area, that carpenter ants come and go from the structure, so you can kill them along their supply route and starve the colony out. In practical terms, this means that there are effective ways to neutralize them that aren't as invasive or expensive as tenting/fumigation.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
You've got rotten wood somewhere. Carpenter ants for certain. Probably water intrusion around or under the window. No good for sure but actually better than termites. Get rid of the rotten wood and the source of the water that rotted it and you should be good. Probably going to have to open up that wall.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paragon:
Ants. Find the source. They ain't there for iced tea.

That made me choke laughing. Big Grin

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post