SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wow Cabelas gun counter...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wow Cabelas gun counter... Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
its the same way at a lot Sewing machine sales centers, vacuum sales and service, even some lawn equipment centers.

A lot of people in retail these days can and do show up to punch the clock , in and out.
Some can even master the cash register, after 4 months.

there are some that can hold on to a broom stick or stock shelves.

Even the higher end computer stores are at risk.

We just lost the best most adept computer guy we may have ever found.
he had great customer service, wonderful computer knowledge , people skills and would listen.

if a body does not do the homework prior to shopping, anything could happen at the brick and mortar store.

The difference is someone's mother isn't walking into the Singer store looking to buy their first home defense sewing machine. Yes the buyer has a responsibility to know what they are buying, but someone's first gun purchase can be intimidating and they will likely be looking to get advice from the "expert" at the gun counter. A company that sells things meant to save lives and capable of taking someone's life *should* be better.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I had a LGS employee tell me last year to buy SIG because their magazines have a lifetime warranty!

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
quote:
Originally posted by DexterII:
quote:
Originally posted by DexterII:
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Recall the first time the Army trained me on the 1911, they taught us to put out thumb between the hammer and firing pin. You then squeezed the trigger and slowly removed your thumb to lower the hammer. No I don't remember the reason.

Short version, the reason they told you this is that the 1911 uses an inertia style firing pin that does not normally reach the primer with the hammer down. If you look in the breach of a 1911 with the hammer down, you do not see the firing pin extended into the breach. The design is such that the only time the firing pin supposedly does reach the primer is when the hammer is dropped by pulling the trigger. So by easing the hammer down, the firing pin is not supposed to strike the primer. I have experimented with this myself to some degree, and it works, but don't know that 1911's have always been exempt from ND's, so who knows.

Dang! That was so good DexterII quoted himself!! Smile Smile Smile

Okay Tommydogg, I fixed it, just for you! Be patient with us old guys. I did at least figure out how to turn the darn computer on. Now it's just a matter of learning which buttons to push and when to push them.

Posts: 462 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I don't know which stories are better: gun counter or car buying. Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
telling her how to lower the hammer on a live round if she wasn't comfortable carrying it cocked

I regret trying to teach my wife to lower the hammer like that with a little .22 Beretta. Her thumb slipped and the slide smacked her thumb. It caused her to avoid any pistol handling for 10 yrs. after that. Now, it's drop the mag and rack the round out with any new or unsure shooter.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I don't know which stories are better: gun counter or car buying. Big Grin

I remember when an older gentleman behind the counter at one of the LGSs was waiting on an elderly lady who came in looking for .32 ammo for her Walther. The guy ended up talking her into and selling her a Ruger GP100 and a box of .357 Magnum to go with it. Eek

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
but someone's first gun purchase can be intimidating and they will likely be looking to get advice from the "expert" at the gun counter. A company that sells things meant to save lives and capable of taking someone's life *should* be better.

it's been proven thousands of times since the year 2001.

People do not want to pay for advice, it's that simple,
If I had a dollar for every customer that bent a brick and mortar store owner over, for hours on end and then went to the big box store to save $25.00 I 'd be richer then Bill Gates.

there were 12 very nice mom and pop gun stores in Phoenix , when I moved there, and in 12 years , 9 of them had shut down , they could not come close to competing with the giant stores.

everyone loves the lower prices that the big store offers , but !.........

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't understand why people post stuff like this. It's not hard to find incompetent people in any store, much less a giant big box nass merchant like Cabela's. at least in my area, unemployment is so as long as you can breathe and show up on time, you can get a job.

Just like with anything, you pay for what you get. People will go out of their way to save 20 bucks on A $500 gun, rather than support their local mom-and-pop gun store with Highly qualified people. I know they're not all like that, but many are.

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 241 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

People do not want to pay for advice, it's that simple,
If I had a dollar for every customer that bent a brick and mortar store owner over, for hours on end and then went to the big box store to save $25.00 I 'd be richer then Bill Gates.

everyone loves the lower prices that the big store offers , but !.........

Around here, it's almost the exact opposite.

The big box store, ( Bass Pro Shop ) has their guns marked up at full MSRP. This fact, along with the usual gun store ninja-commando know-it-alls drives many customers to the small locally owned shops.

Most of the small shops, ( like the one I work at ) have far better prices, thoroughly experienced/knowledgeable and generally friendly folks behind the counter.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I am continually amazed at some of the BS about guns that has been fed to novices who show up for my basic classes. And it's not always the gun shop that was doing the feeding. One of the more common issues I see are women who show up with a micro pistol that they can't operate the slide on to save their life. It bothers me that so many people just don't want to spend the time or money to learn correctly.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't want to malign all their employees as I don't doubt there are some good ones. But sheesh, they've got a lot of bad ones. I've had multiple people show up to the range/gun store I work at with a gun they just bought (that 9 times out of ten I sell for less money) at the local Cabelas that they were sold the wrong ammo for at the time of purchase. And the loads of bad info that was passed on at times is just sad. .500S&W and .50AE? Heck, they both start with a .5, will probably work...

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Sometimes their incompetence/lack of knowledge works in your favor. I was in the Library at the ME store in early May. They had an HK91 for $2250 with a PSG1 buttstock on it Eek Asked what it came with. They brought out a hard case with a bunch of mags, light bipod, a complete standard buttstock, clamp on scope mount and a like new Eickhorn bayonet with scabbard. Got them down to $2150 including sales tax plus got to put it on the Cabela's CC for points. PSG1 is already sold on GB recouping nearly half the cost Big Grin

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post