SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wow Cabelas gun counter...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wow Cabelas gun counter... Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted
One sales guy said Glocks have "made in croatia" stamped on them.

Another sales guy was showing an obviously new shooter a 1911 and telling her how to lower the hammer on a live round if she wasn't comfortable carrying it cocked and telling her she could then cock the hammer when she draws it.

Smh, wtf is wrong these people. I'm by no means a gun counter snob, but that last one is terribly unsafe!

I just wanna use my gift card and gtfo, but I've been waiting 30 minutes just to buy a red dot.

I wish I could convert my cabelas gift card into a TGS gift card.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Might be more of a rant section post, but I agree.

My last time in Cabelas, which might be the last I was in the library and the 3 guys in the office couldn't have been bothered to come out to wait on me.

I had something I was interested in, which was plainly obvious by body language and where I was.

There were a number of gun library guns without trigger protections on them, and ammo available a short walk away. It wouldn't have been difficult to light the place up if I had ill intent.

I found the overall store manager and advised of each of the above issues. Left without buying anything.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
It's the big box retail model.

Mostly part-time employees, no prior minimum knowledge required apart from an interest in what they sell and they get paid no more than $12+hr or so. They do volume sales, so it doesn't pay to train or educate the sales staff.

Though a different big box, this NSFW rant still fits.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Recall the first time the Army trained me on the 1911, they taught us to put out thumb between the hammer and firing pin. You then squeezed the trigger and slowly removed your thumb to lower the hammer. No I don't remember the reason.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Gander mountain counter guys are not much better

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky. Mine is staffed with veterans and retired cops. I disagreed with a price listing on a P250 last week and they took 50 bucks off. Items I have ordered are delivered promptly. Much better than a couple on independent LGS.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I've only had positive experiences at the ones in Pennsylvania and Delaware. The dudes in the gun library are especially knowledge and genuinely interested in teaching about the firearms within.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:

Either they got Austria and Croatia confused or the don't know the difference between a Glock and a Springfield XD.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Either they got Austria and Croatia confused or the don't know the difference between a Glock and a Springfield XD.

Black92LX - you are correct.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its the same way at a lot Sewing machine sales centers, vacuum sales and service, even some lawn equipment centers.

A lot of people in retail these days can and do show up to punch the clock , in and out.
Some can even master the cash register, after 4 months.

there are some that can hold on to a broom stick or stock shelves.

Even the higher end computer stores are at risk.

We just lost the best most adept computer guy we may have ever found.
he had great customer service, wonderful computer knowledge , people skills and would listen.

if a body does not do the homework prior to shopping, anything could happen at the brick and mortar store.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Recall the first time the Army trained me on the 1911, they taught us to put out thumb between the hammer and firing pin. You then squeezed the trigger and slowly removed your thumb to lower the hammer. No I don't remember the reason.

Short version, the reason they told you this is that the 1911 uses an inertia style firing pin that does not normally reach the primer with the hammer down. If you look in the breach of a 1911 with the hammer down, you do not see the firing pin extended into the breach. The design is such that the only time the firing pin supposedly does reach the primer is when the hammer is dropped by pulling the trigger. So by easing the hammer down, the firing pin is not supposed to strike the primer. I have experimented with this myself to some degree, and it works, but 1911's have ND's just like everything else, so...

Posts: 462 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DexterII:
quote:
Originally posted by DexterII:
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:

Short version, the reason they told you this is that the 1911 uses an inertia style firing pin that does not normally reach the primer with the hammer down. If you look in the breach of a 1911 with the hammer down, you do not see the firing pin extended into the breach. The design is such that the only time the firing pin supposedly does reach the primer is when the hammer is dropped by pulling the trigger. So by easing the hammer down, the firing pin is not supposed to strike the primer. I have experimented with this myself to some degree, and it works, but don't know that 1911's have always been exempt from ND's, so who knows.

Dang! That was so good DexterII quoted himself!! Smile Smile Smile

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I am a gun counter snob and usually tell the sales guy "I already know" when they try to tell me about guns. 100% of the time I know more about the gun in question then they do and it's just a waste of time. I know what I do or don't want and what I do or don't like. Guns should just be sold out of vending machines Razz

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a portion of the blame for poor quality employees has to be shoveled on to the store manager ot corporate.
for not taking the time to train , re-enforce quality and production .

in guns, I found that the vendors themselves are partially responsible.

The marlin rifle company sent a dozen long guns to our local range and a pallet with of layers of ammo on it.

they answered all questions and had bullet points all over the place.

they increase the sales at three L.A. stores by 20% over last years figures.

product knowledge makes or breaks

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wanted to see a pistol there a few months ago. There were probably 20 people waiting in line and two employees. I told a manager about it and he told me that they can't keep any one there and quite often people quit after one day of working the counter.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The marlin rifle company sent a dozen long guns to our local range and a pallet with of layers of ammo on it.

Do you have details on how this was arranged? Thanks

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Good help is hard to find. I used to go frequently to the store in Glendale, AZ when I lived there and the selection and service at the gun counter was always good. Now, at the Bristol, VA store, there is neither.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our relatively new store here outside of Richmond has been a disappointment as far as the gun library. Maybe we are just getting the dregs from other stores but so far I have seen little of interest. Everything I see looks either shopworn, overpriced or both .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our relatively new store here outside of Richmond has been a disappointment as far as the gun library.

I found a couple of great guns in the Arizona store's library. This one? A S&W M&P that looked as if it had been dragged behind a car with an asking price more than that of a new, latest version one.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Sell the Cabela's GC at a discount on the Forum and then buy from TGS.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post