SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FBI poll.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FBI poll. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
I have handled several high profile cases. On some of them, the local FBI would call me up after seeing news clips of the case and offer assistance which I always took. They always came thru for me.

I think what we are experiencing is a management issue that will hopefully all work out.

They are a great law enforcement resource and have a lot to offer.

A concerted effort by an opposing party to remove a sitting President from office is a management issue? Seriously? Wake the fuck up.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I was always told by other Federal LEOs that the FBI thinks its great but is in fact not. During the Atlanta bombings, the joke was the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (the way it professionally handled the investigation vs. what FBI did) is what the FBI wants to be when it grows up.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Famous But Incompetent

No confidence. I recognize that their are good people there, I know a couple. I wish them well when the swamp drains.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zero confidence. And I cant help but feel bad for the everyday grunt agent who wants to do a good job and make a difference.
Scary thought: Who are the FBI recruiting and hiring these days? Our current crop of ANTIFA college types?
And how many good agents have left the FBI after getting a gut full of the current mess?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16062 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
Totally disband them with no offer of employment in any form of law enforcement....time for them to pay the piper. None of them can be trusted

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always thought, that making it a crime to lie to the FBI had a rather Stalinist ring to it.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GRIZZLYBEAR:
Totally disband them with no offer of employment in any form of law enforcement....time for them to pay the piper. None of them can be trusted

A ridiculous assertion

Posts: 5740 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I am convinced the FBI needs a major shake-up. It's now or never.

Seems to me that between the FBI, US Marshall's Service and Homeland Security there would be a way to come up with a single, much smaller agency to do the same job as all three.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Always thought, that making it a crime to lie to the FBI had a rather Stalinist ring to it.

Please name a single state or local law enforcement agency that you can deliberately provide false information to and NOT find yourself subjected to arrest and prosecution.

The FBI has a history of terrible management and is certainly NOT the premier law enforcement agency (as if there ever was one). That said, what organization of this size is perfect or couldn’t use new blood to improve its level of performance? When the department was created, local and state law enforcement didn’t have much for formal training standards, failed to communicate with each other, and criminals could cross state borders with impunity. The mere creation of an organization like the FBI spurred changes in the law and how it’s enforced that were needed. Hoover was little more than a PR hack and political manipulator at first, but did create an organization which (for all its real shortcomings) did provide some very real benefits to our society. Standardized fingerprint ID and criminal history systems, training protocols, and the ability to address criminal activity that crossed state boundaries were certainly things that could be viewed as positives.

That FBI management and some employees viewed themselves as above the law is a separate issue that needs to be handled on an individual basis. We don’t disband the armed services because they screwed up and lost a battle, failed to recognize threats until too late, or wasted equipment or valuable lives. We hold individuals responsible for their actions or inactions on a case by case basis to create a better organizational culture. We have the opportunity to do that now and citizens must demand that this be done if they (the citizenry) wants a law enforcement agency that respects their obligations to the public at large. People get the kind of law enforcement they deserve. We can either mold this one into a better organization or reject it entirely and accept anarchy as an alternative. To do the later is childish, unrealistic, and destructively foolish.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10193 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
FBI has been crooked since the beginning.
Any leo agency that operates in secret will always be able to bend ethical lines to fit they're own agenda.
Does the end justify the means is the question.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The degree to which I trust them or any alphabet agency (or for that matter any organization that large with that much influence) is *barely* higher my ability to throw a real-life US aircraft carrier like a football. Single digit approval ratings, for sure.

I'm absolutely certain they do some good and are necessary to some degree, but they're far too big and powerful for their proverbial britches, with far too little accountability, and I bet we could axe half of them immediately and still do a good job at the necessary parts.

Same is true for just about every, if not literally every, government department/agency.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

DO YOU WANT THE SWAMP DRAINED OR NOT?

Too late. The swamp monster you elected is the one that needs being drained the most.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Too late. The swamp monster you elected is the one that needs being drained the most.
Listen, I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but Fuck You, OK?

Posts: 107465 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's thinking like yours that keeps the swamp from emptying and full of muck.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They got Capone through tax evasion. The top dogs are all lawyers. JE Hoover. They are a scary dangerous combination of bad history, ethics, poor leadership. They are way political where they shouldn’t be. At all.

Like the DOJ, they shouldn’t be partisan. Not even a tiny bit.

They have good people but they are corrupted by the very framework they exist under. They need more than changing a few new names at the top to unfuck themselves.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'll update my response based on some of the comments from those who have worked with the FBI and have positive stories.

I'm sure there are good people in any organization. The problem is that as the guy in the street, and a lawyer, I can't tell who the good ones are. Thus, I trust none of them.

When I look at the command level of the federal government; any agency, just pick one to include the armed forces, I see a highly political, highly partisan, unaccountable group that pretty much does as they damned well please. Because they are not held accountable for obvious public screw ups, because they are promoted, retired, resign out into better paying jobs with the politically connected organizations they are associated with and otherwise use the "swamp" to avoid consequences, there is no real punishment and therefore no change in institutional conduct.

I don't see a way to fix it, other than to gut it and completely reorganize the reporting structure, oversight mechanisms, promotion system, and accountability mechanisms.

When the FBI focused on counterintelligence and interstate crime (mafia, etc.) they seemed to be pretty effective. Now that they seem to be primarily interested in witch hunts and political power, they have completely lost their way.

For those of you who have had positive FBI interactions and who think that the agency can be saved, what is the solution? How do you fix something that the leadership cadre doesn't seem to want to fix?

Do we convene an FBI equivalent of the Church Committee hearings?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do you fix something that the leadership cadre doesn't seem to want to fix

You can't. Know why? The leadership dosen't consider it broken. The leadership thinks WE are broken, and only they are able to fix us.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:
How do you fix something that the leadership cadre doesn't seem to want to fix

You can't. Know why? The leadership dosen't consider it broken. The leadership thinks WE are broken, and only they are able to fix us.

Ropes, trees, said leadership. Some assembly required. (figuratively of course)

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

aaawwwww, you're not going to play nice with us?

well fuck you

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
sns3guppy

Regressive, closeted leftist???

Shocker.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post