SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody buy giftcards (discount) to use for themselves?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody buy giftcards (discount) to use for themselves? Login/Join 
JOIN, or DIE
posted
I had recently found a few sites that supposedly sell store giftcards at a discount. A youtube gun reviewer had also mentioned some deal online for $100 cabelas giftcards for $80. So I look on a few of these sites and the discounts vary on the giftcards but seem attractive. For instance, I've seen GAP gift cards for 15% off. I'm assuming they work at Banana Republic and Old Navy. They regularly have sales as high as 40% off with free shipping. Adding the extra 15% savings seems like a good deal. The benefit of the discount on the giftcard would be combining it with other sales.

Anybody have any experience with this? Legit?

Thanks

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EmpireState:
I had recently found a few sites that supposedly sell store giftcards at a discount. A youtube gun reviewer had also mentioned some deal online for $100 cabelas giftcards for $80. So I look on a few of these sites and the discounts vary on the giftcards but seem attractive. For instance, I've seen GAP gift cards for 15% off. I'm assuming they work at Banana Republic and Old Navy. They regularly have sales as high as 40% off with free shipping. Adding the extra 15% savings seems like a good deal. The benefit of the discount on the giftcard would be combining it with other sales.

Anybody have any experience with this? Legit?

Thanks

I'd do research on the actual outfit, but that's a legit practice, sspecially around the holidays. My business partner and I talked about getting into it but it seemed a little depressing for my taste.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Depressing how?

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Many times, especially from Kroger when they have 4X fuel points

We've gotten discounted cards from Costco too.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
we do the Kroger 4x fuel points too. Restaurants and Home Depot/Lowes mostly, several hundred dollars at a whack.

Posts: 4012 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used the restaurant gift cards for several regional restaurants in the area from Costco.

Why not save money if you're already planning to go to a particular place?

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Many times, especially from Kroger when they have 4X fuel points...

Same here at the HyVee. I can buy a $25 gift card for a local restaurant I'd go to anyhow and get $.20 off per gallon.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Safeway has 2x gas points if you buy gift cards.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'll occasionally buy a $25 or $50 gift cert for an area restaurant for ½ price thru CBS News Local Offers.

Ruby's burger joint is easier to handle the bill when bringing out my brother's brood.

Currently I have one for a really nice, fancy place in Philly. I'll treat a gang of friends to apps at some point.

If it expires, it is still worth face value. If the location you were to use closes or otherwise you cannot redeem the coupon, the system allows you to get a face value credit on your account. So my $25 spent on a barbecue joint's $50 certificate was not worthless when the only close location closed. I still got the $25 back.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Yes we do. Our Costco frequently has discounted gift cards for the regular "chains", but ours has local restaurants also. Most times 20%.
My wife will buy $500 or $600 worth of cards when they are at 20 to 25% (usually the holidays they are higher).
I though she was nuts the first time she did it, but considering we go to eat there 2 to 3 times a month it's well worth it.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I buy new Dominos and Papa Johns gift cards from legit sites when they have a sale.

I no longer buy from places like cardcash, who buy unwanted cards and then resell them.

All someone needs is the card number and pin and they can use it themselves after you buy it.

I bought a few from cardcash and when I went to use one it was zeroed out. They gave me a refund but it's not worth it to me anymore.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No I don't

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Amazon frequently pays a bonus, say five bucks, when you refill a gift card with a certain amount.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've done it. Saving money is saving money ...

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Costco deals for local places all the time. $100 for $80. We stock up. Also great for our two college kids.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our local major supermarket chain (Giant Eagle) has "gas perks" worth $.10/gallon for every $50 you spend and that includes gift cards you buy there.

We had our house completely resided last year by Home Depot and paid for the entire job with HD gift cards bought at Giant Eagle. We didn't have to pay for gas for the next six months.

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Yup. Been buying from Raise.com for years. I usually buy them for restaurants I go to on a regular basis. The discount usually gets me a free meal.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, but I buy them from the actual companies. For example around Christmas time, Benihana's and Flanigans will give you a free $20 gift card for every $100 gift card you buy. My grocery store (Publix) often runs a $10 off coupon on a $50 gas card when you buy $50 in groceries. Costco and BJ's also sell gift cards at a discount.

However, I don't think I would buy someone's (a persons) gift card that a website is reselling.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I used to do that with Kroger. When you're in grad school and near broke, all the savings help.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
My wife uses Discover Card Cash Back to buy Lowes gift cards when they're on sale. Works out great.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post