SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hard drives for NAS: for Raid 1, how much capacity should remain empty?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard drives for NAS: for Raid 1, how much capacity should remain empty? Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
I'm looking for some 12 TB drives for archiving family history videos, photos, books, and files. These are intended to be installed in an Iosafe 218 NAS.

Some of the choices include:

Western Digital Gold enterprise
Seagate Ironwolf
Seagate Ironwolf Pro

I've read a number of reviews explaining the pros and cons of the Seagate models compared against each other, but I've not seen anything comparing the 12 TB models of the two brands. If you feel in general one brand is more reliable than the other, or they are likely to be the same, please let me know.

Thank you for your help with this.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: deepocean,

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
No experience with any of these drives, I would lean toward Western Digital and I wouldn't get any these drives if you're just archiving, I'd get some WD Red drives, and then take the money you'd save on the Reds and buy another set of drives for alternating off-site backups.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
12 TB drives?? Holy shit, I am really behind the times.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
12 TB drives?? Holy shit, I am really behind the times.

No kidding!! That's the first thing I thought when I read it as well.

“If the federal government is allowed to hold a monopoly on determining the extent of its own powers, we have no right to be surprised when it keeps discovering new ones.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 234 | Location: Katy, TX | Registered: March 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I like WD stuff, but mostly because Acronis lets you clone any HD as long as one drive is WD.

I thought my 4TB photo back up drive was big- Holy guacamole!

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15570 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've had the best experience for longevity with HGST drives. Originally Hitachi, acquired by WD, but they compete with their own line of drives.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Having installed many, many drives I use exclusively Western Digital.
The Gold RE series is what I use for Data Server Applications and I use Red Pro for NAS units.
Otherwise I am slowly migrating even data drives to Intel Server SSD's, it depends on the how much data and the budget.
Never liked Seagate, WD service and warranty is great, Hitachi now a WD company I have little experience but no bad ones.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago I bought a new Seagate external drive for backups, it never worked right. Seagate customer service couldn't fix the problem, wouldn't replace the drive.

I bought a WD that has been perfect, and gave the Seagate to my brother, who teaches computers at a trade college. He uses it for lab training to teach students how to deal with substandard products.

I mentioned that to Seagate cust service, didn't bother them.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
I wouldn't get any these drives if you're just archiving, I'd get some WD Red drives, and then take the money you'd save on the Reds and buy another set of drives for alternating off-site backups.

I probably used the wrong term when I posted this. I already have the original media archived for long term storage. The information is protected, but not readily accessible to use for research and reference.

For this project, I need to gather together many types of media and convert them to the digital domain in one central place. I estimate I will end up taking up at least 6 TB, and probably more like 8 TB.

The Iosafe 218 fits my purposes more than any other NAS I've looked at. This model constrains the number of drives I can use to two, which is why I am looking at the 12 TB drives.

I appreciate the suggestions to use the WD Red drives. 10 TB seems to be the upper limit on those from what I can see. The price is in the same ballpark for all of the drives I am talking about.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Having installed many, many drives I use exclusively Western Digital.
Although I've not installed as many drives as smschulz, my go to's are still WD (RED's for your application). Still too many reported failures on Seagates for me to feel comfortable installing them.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You should get a larger NAS.

2 bays, with redundancy, loses half of your storage volume. 4 bays, with redundancy, loses only 25% of your storage volume.

If you went with a Synology 4 Bay, you could install four 4TB drives for $500 ($125 each), vs $820 for two 12TB drives ($410 each).

Future drive upgrades will also be cheaper.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
You got a lot of data if you’re estimating 6-8 TB. When I was working for Nortel our Livelink servers (17 of them) scattered out in 4 data centers world wide only had roughly 21 TB of stored data and that was nearly every printable document in the company stored somewhere in one of them.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
You should get a larger NAS.

I'm starting to think this will be the best option.

quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
You got a lot of data if you’re estimating 6-8 TB.

If we were just talking about documents and PDF files, it would take a lot less space.

I have 25+ years of family interviews and videos, including many done in high definition--probably 4 TB+. These interviews tell the story of our family. Most of those interviewed have since passed on.

This does not include the 8mm and Super 8 films we need to have scanned. A lot of family photographs were copied onto 6x7 negatives. The scans of those will take at least 1/2 a TB. There are also 35 mm negatives and slides to be scanned. The images of family documents, PDF's, book scans, etc., will take up more space. Then there are 20+ years of digital cards full of photos which various family members have taken.

In the future we plan to begin doing interviews in 4K. We're not there yet, but that's the plan.

It's a big project.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Other than price, RPM, and the warranty length of 5 vs 3 years, what is the difference between the WD Red Pro and the WD Red NAS drives?

posted Hide Post
Read these guys, they have some stats for hard drives.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog...rive-stats-for-2017/

Posts: 159 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would consider compressing your video to H.264 or preferably H.265 (HEVC). Transferring that large amount of data will be a minor pain in the ass. A 12TB HDD going tits up is a major pain in the ass, even if you have redundancy.

I have just shy of 1200 DVDs ripped to my server. At 5GB each, that would be 6TB. I compressed all of them to HEVC with settings that shouldn't allow any perceived video quality loss. I tried to play the original & compressed version back to back & see any issues and could not.
They are currently taking up just shy of 1TB (998GB)
Between all of my blurays, dvds, downloaded movies/tv, pictures, music & assorted data, I have less than 4TB.

A newish-processor (say, gen3 i5+) + handbrake + a little time now could save you a ton of headaches later,and a little cash now. drives are getting cheaper all the time.

Having had a HDD die, I also 2nd the smaller drives & more bays approach. Re-building Terabytes of data takes days on low-power raid devices, and your butt will be puckered the whole time.
4-6TB is the sweet spot for $/TB right now. last fall I bought 2x 6TB Toshibas for $175 each. They are in my unraid server along with a single 4TB WD Red that was newer from my old server.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were you, I'd be considering a raid 5 with warm spare solution as any single failure will not be catastrophic. Expandable if needed is a perk.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:

I have 25+ years of family interviews and videos, including many done in high definition--probably 4 TB+. These interviews tell the story of our family. Most of those interviewed have since passed on.

All of which begs the question; who ARE you guys, anyway? Eek

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12414 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
All of which begs the question; who ARE you guys, anyway?

The video interviewing part of this started when I interviewed my Grandmother for three hours, two weeks before she passed away unexpectedly. Over the years I have preserved stories from our family that include my family's service in WWI and WWII. There are stories from the time when the family first started driving motor cars, and interesting remembrances of things I find fascinating.

Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
I run four WD Red 6TB (WD60EFRX) drives in a Synology DS916+ NAS as 12TB of total storage with 12TB of RAID backup. It’s hosts about a thousand movies, even more music and tons of pictures. I couldn’t be happier with the drives. So one more vote for the WD Reds.

Posts: 588 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post