SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ammo storage in ammo cans - loose rounds or store in boxes?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo storage in ammo cans - loose rounds or store in boxes? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I just bought some Harbor Freight metal ammo cans. I'm wondering if there is any benefit to storing the ammo in their cardboard boxes or opening them and storing the ammo as loose rounds? Loose rounds seems like the way to go - you can store more, and it's readily accessible. Storing in cardboard boxes makes it easier to inventory. Anything else I should consider?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Load magazines and keep them in the ammo can?

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have certain loads for which I have thousands of rounds of the same ammo. Those go in as loose rounds.

For other situations where I have a mish-mash of smaller quantities of various loads, they stay in the box.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to keep them in original boxes in case I encounter an issue with the ammo. Doing so also helps if there’s a recall.

Posts: 586 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Leave the ammunition in its original packaging. Don't let cartridges bang around against each other inside a metal can.

And, while it's not the primary reason for doing it, if ever you need to use that ammunition as a barter item, it will benefit you to have the amunition correctly packaged, and not in some plastic bag.

Posts: 107501 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Are we talking store bought or home loaded ammo?

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
50 or 100 per heavy duty zip-lock bag (I assumed your own reloads).

If store-bought, then leave it in the original boxes for reasons cited above.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I always use original boxes. It always seemed like another good way to get nicks, or even pushback. I also don't like them tarnishing.

I keep a great deal in the six .50 cans I have.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I store mine loose in plastic ammo cans.
Saves space and I just throw in a couple little silica gel packs for long term. Been doing it this way my whole life and never had a problem.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
New ammo stays in the original packaging. I used to put my reloads into the empty boxes from new ammo but it got to be a pain in the butt. I put a big plastic bag in an ammo can and toss them in. A 50 cal can full of .45 reloads gets heavy.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Boxes, as I rarely need an anmocan-full at once.

Plus, it's less effort to leave them in the original packaging.

Double plus good.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
boxes inside the cans,

unless,

the boxes are crap (bought greek .303 with boxes that were falling apart)

or , my pistol reloads, my rifle reloads are generally in a plastic storage box, inside a can if needed

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Much prefer boxes. Maintains the lot number ( or in the case of reloads my data label) on the ammo, easy to open a can and grab boxes and know how many you have for a match or practice session and as mentioned if you want to sell ammo in the future easier to sell in original packaging. I can think of no downside to keeping it in boxes and many negatives to storing loose

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Store as it is received - so in my situation, typically in case form, with individual 20/50rd boxes inside.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
I always store loose in ammo cans with a large pack of desiccant.

This are stored inside and will not be subject to any movement. Also realize that belted ammo is packed in cans without boxing.

If you leave it in paper boxes, then you are adding trapped moisture to the contents. Plus, you greatly reduce the number of rounds in a .30 or .50cal can:
.22 LR: 5,500 rds. / 50 cal. can.
5.56: 1,200 rds. / 50 cal. can
9mm and .45 ACP: 1,000 rds. / 50 cal. can.

I have also vacuum-packed 7.62 and 30-06 in flat strips to load in cans.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Depends on the caliber. If I've been reloading some 9mm hollowpoints, for example, those go in a big, thick, ziplock. Computer component bags are good and much thicker. Yes, I used to steal them from work instead of tossing them out. So I never really know up front what I'm getting when I grab a .50 cal can. Sometimes I need to open a few to find what I'm looking for. Each can has the load info on a strip of cardboard. Powder, bullet, date loaded. Some cans have 2 strips, one in the baggie, the other for the loose rounds. Its too much trouble to refill boxes, and there's never enough to take all the rounds. Besides, its not the load in the box.

9mm is too heavy to fill the can. Small and not much air space. 45-70 is heavy as all hell, but they carefully go in the can loose. I need to start loading .30-06, but those'll go in the same way. I've got a cigar box full of .32-20. guess I need to fill up more so I can move them to a .30 cal can.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I leave it as it came packaged. Put the boxes into an ammo can.

I do have an ammo can of loose ammo but that's how it came. It was reloaded from Georgia Arms.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J387
posted Hide Post
40mm ammo cans are great for storing ammo in its original packaging. If I remember correctly each can will store 2000 rounds of 9mm in the typical larger american brand boxes.

Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes

Posts: 406 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
I store mine in boxes (even tho' I have the Harbor Freight plastic cans) as it's easier to inventory. Don't guess there is a wrong way, just some better than others.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
If I have loose rounds, they are stored in an ammo can. The only loose rounds I have are 5.56.

For ammo I have a larger amount of such as .22LR, 5.56, and 7.62x39 which is still in the original packaging then I store them in the original packaging in the ammo cans.

All other ammo is stored in original packaging, but not in an ammo can. All ammo is stored inside my house an climate controlled.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post