SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I feel MUCH better now - Motorcycle Ride, with pics
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I feel MUCH better now - Motorcycle Ride, with pics Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

Took one of my top five favorite rides today. First real "just for the ride" trip of the season.

The Northern-most leg is Route 9, known locally as "The Airline". Bisects the State east to west and from the Canadian border at Calais to Bangor, it's WAY out in the boonies. Major trucking route, very well maintained, lightly patrolled.

Virtually everyone giggles at the posted limit. 70 will get you run over, 80 keeps up with most traffic, but I've been passed at that speed.

The road itself is one reason, but the scenery is also spectacular.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
Nice.

I used to hunt and fish at a camp further out Route 9 at the Chain Lakes (First Lake Old Stream). It was land owned by paper company and my sister-in-law's family had the only camp on the entire property. They got a lease way back and the company decided not to issue any more.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice ride Paul. On the FJ-09?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was planning to do a nice ride today but thunderstorms put a halt to that plan. Next month I embark on an epic motorcycle trip from PA to Montana. The plan is to spend two days in SD to checkout MT Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Badlands Natl Park and Devils Tower in WY. After that we spend five days riding Glacier Natl Park and five days riding Yellowstone.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Looks like a nice ride Paul. On the FJ-09?

Yup. 4 years and nearly 17,000 miles and I still love that bike!

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gear.Up:
Nice.

I used to hunt and fish at a camp further out Route 9 at the Chain Lakes (First Lake Old Stream). It was land owned by paper company and my sister-in-law's family had the only camp on the entire property. They got a lease way back and the company decided not to issue any more.

I hear that a lot, about paper companies not renewing leases. Lawyers and liability issues I suspect. Paper company land changes hands pretty often (or at least company names) so I can see that being an issue.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice ride.
Hopefully Houston is about done with all of this rain & I can try to get a good ride in.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Paul, I'm green with envy. I didn't get out for a ride last weekend and this weekend isn't looking promising.
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Looks like a nice ride.
Hopefully Houston is about done with all of this rain & I can try to get a good ride in.
Getting rid of the saharan dust storm would be nice too. 2.5 micron particulates are higher than what is considered healthy. Looks like it's supposed to improve about 33% tomorrow.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
Appears you had a nice scenic ride. Thanks for sharing.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Paul, I'm green with envy. I didn't get out for a ride last weekend and this weekend isn't looking promising.
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Looks like a nice ride.
Getting rid of the saharan dust storm would be nice too. 2.5 micron particulates are higher than what is considered healthy. Looks like it's supposed to improve about 33% tomorrow.

Let me know if you ever need a wingman for a ride. Cool

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Good job!

I went scouting with a friend for his group ride next month. We did a 200mi cruise up the coast from Pacifica to Jenner, then inland and backroads to Lucas Valley Road and then 101 to the Bridge and home.

5h 22m riding, 7h 22m overall.

Wore me out and we agreed, shortening the ride and taking less winding roads for the group ride. Folks on Harleys with their wives on back isn't going to work out so well on that route.

My bike is a 2012 R1200R, his is a 2001 Bandit. Both ST and highly capable of such things, stock Harleys with wives - not so much.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clearing the mind , these days is as essential as nourishment .

Great for you,
I tried fishing after 30 years,
Two mornings in a row.

Dad wasn't there ,
Well , in person anyway.
But I could feel his energy , anxious for me to hook,even a little one.

Three hours after getting there, I had
Relaxed considerably,

Mind was a little clearer and a much better attitude.

Stay safe on your journeys

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent and I know the feeling a long ride does for the body and mind.
I did 4 hours yesterday in N.E. Ohio and sorted out ALOT of shit in my head.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post