SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SigForum BBQers: A Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SigForum BBQers: A Question Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I made St Louis spare ribs on Monday and smoked them in my Weber for approximately 5 hours, well about 2.5 hours of smoke and 2.5 hours of just heat, then sauced them and finished in the oven. They were pretty amazing, meat candy I called them.

My question is, why do they get SO dark? When I took them off, they were a deep brown, nearly black like a good brisket gets, but it wasn't burnt in any way. Is this the sugar in my rub? The rub I made this time around was probably around 50% brown sugar to all the other ingredients,like onion and garlic powder, Kosher salt, etc and I put a lot on them, using yellow mustard as a "glue" to adhere it.

Should I try way less sugar next time? They tasted just fine, just look burnt to me when I take them out. They were at around 250 the entire time with a couple dips and spikes, ranging from 225 to 275, but overall it was right at 250.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Did you "spritz" them along the way with anything?

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Did you "spritz" them along the way with anything?

No. I'm not in the spritzing camp as I am a firm believer in not taking the lid off except when absolutely necessary. I think I lifted the lid twice in the 5 hours they were in there.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
It could be the brown sugar and/or the wood you used. My always come out pretty dark on the outside with a nice smoke ring on the inside. As long as they are good I would not make any changes.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same results when I use only salt and pepper or a rub with no sugar. The dark color/bark is a reaction of the meat to the smoke. A bit of sugar effect(burn) could be occurring, but that is not the only reason for the color. Don't worry....be happy if the taste is good!!!

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
In this case, it's mostly due to the amount of sugar in your rub.

Smoke and heat will impart color, especially if exposed for a long time. But when you're talking about a deep brown or black after just 2.5 hours of smoke, that's mainly due to the caramelizing of the sugar in your rub.

I like my rubs with more spice than sugar, but if you like it and it worked for you, you don't necessarily need to change anything.

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
No. I'm not in the spritzing camp as I am a firm believer in not taking the lid off except when absolutely necessary. I think I lifted the lid twice in the 5 hours they were in there.

That's about how often I spritz: Every 2 hours or so. I like to use 50/50 tepid water and apple cider vinegar. A quick (5 second) opening every few hours to spritz doesn't add any extra time to the cook.

But I'll agree that you don't want to be opening frequently, or just to "check on it".

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It could be the rub.
I will "spritz" every hour after two hours with some apple juice or my injection (I inject once with apple juice, apple vinegar and a little Worcestershire).
I use this rub exclusively form Amazing Ribs.
Ingredients

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup American paprika

1/4 cup garlic powder

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 tablespoons ground ginger powder

2 tablespoons onion powder

2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Link > Here

I do mine on the BGE and always have great results.

YMMV

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It just occurred to me that I had used brown sugar in the rub when for years I'd used Turbinado sugar, AKA "Sugar in the Raw" because I had heard it had a much lesser propensity to burn like brown sugar could.

I think I'm going to use Turbinado only and cut down on the overall amount of it next time I do ribs.

posted Hide Post
Not sure, but the sugar idea is probably correct. I did some ribs in my smoker with only a dry rub of garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper this past weekend. Came out great (4.5 hours @ 220) and cherry wood. Wife likes to sauce it up after they are done so no spritzing or basting here. Not black, but browned for sure.

Posts: 275 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Your plan sounds like a good one. That is a TON of sugar for any rub I've ever seen. Are you trying to kill off a diabetic relative for the holidays, perhaps?

That's a pretty long ride on the cooker too. And then you abused them even more in the oven? What was your internal temp target when done?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

That's a pretty long ride on the cooker too.

5 hours in the smoker and just under an hour in the oven is too long for you?

Have you never heard of the 3-2-1 ribs method? That's 6 hours.

quote:
And then you abused them even more in the oven? What was your internal temp target when done?

I never test temps on ribs and thought you weren't supposed to, I only check for tenderness. And they were that prefect bite without falling off the bone overdone.

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
brown sugar's got molasses, so that's why it's so dark.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never test temps on ribs and thought you weren't supposed to, I only check for tenderness.

That's what I was taught as well.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It just occurred to me that I had used brown sugar in the rub when for years I'd used Turbinado sugar, AKA "Sugar in the Raw" because I had heard it had a much lesser propensity to burn like brown sugar could.

I think I'm going to use Turbinado only and cut down on the overall amount of it next time I do ribs.

This is your answer. Brown burns the worst, then white, then raw.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I've had this happen with brown sugar. Now I make the rub without brown sugar. I'll add brown sugar to the rub mix and melt it on the stovetop to make a sauce. When done on the smoker I broil with the sauce for a couple of minutes to make the sweet glaze. It's been a huge hit with friends.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post