SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TVs have gotten better in 9 years
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TVs have gotten better in 9 years Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Make them even cheaper and (IMO) even better and leave off all of the "Smart" features.

I've no need, nor want, but hey - who doesn't like bigger, better monitors, for cheaper...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
We got a 65" Vizio last year last year, but we returned it the next day due to a problem. More noticeable on a solid screen, you could see auras and unequal lighting. The replacement was a lot better, and we thought we were as happy as we could be, especially for $1,100.00.

Shortly thereafter, my FIL got a 55" Samsung which blew mine away. When we have Sunday dinner, he always has it on NYPD Blue, and the picture looks like the latest TV shows out rather than being from the '90s to early 2000s. I watch it on my 4k, and it looks like the old show it is.

One problem he does have is the Sony surround sometimes doesn't turn on at all or turns on momentarily. Sometimes he has to turn it on and off 2 to 4 times before it comes on.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
My mother has an almost new LCD tv but I still prefer my seven year old plasma. Everything looks so fake on an LCD.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
We got a 65" Vizio last year last year, but we returned it the next day due to a problem. More noticeable on a solid screen, you could see auras and unequal lighting. The replacement was a lot better, and we thought we were as happy as we could be, especially for $1,100.00.

Shortly thereafter, my FIL got a 55" Samsung which blew mine away. When we have Sunday dinner, he always has it on NYPD Blue, and the picture looks like the latest TV shows out rather than being from the '90s to early 2000s. I watch it on my 4k, and it looks like the old show it is.

One problem he does have is the Sony surround sometimes doesn't turn on at all or turns on momentarily. Sometimes he has to turn it on and off 2 to 4 times before it comes on.

A Visio was the first flat screen I bought and thought the picture was great. I then got a Sony and realized it was decent for a living room set but not my main home theater.
The Sony is absolutely stunning. Then I got a hand me down Samsung plasma and it being older then the Visio also made it look mediocre but still not as good as the Sony.

Is your In laws TV 4K?? My inlaws have the 85" Sony 4K and it has trouble with some older shows and it does not look very good on the 4K but looks great on my non4k Sony.

Also is the source the same? That could cause an issue as well.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

A Visio was the first flat screen I bought and thought the picture was great. I then got a Sony and realized it was decent for a living room set but not my main home theater.
The Sony is absolutely stunning. Then I got a hand me down Samsung plasma and it being older then the Visio also made it look mediocre but still not as good as the Sony.

Is your In laws TV 4K?? My inlaws have the 85" Sony 4K and it has trouble with some older shows and it does not look very good on the 4K but looks great on my non4k Sony.

Also is the source the same? That could cause an issue as well.

I have U-Verse and he has DirecTV. I don't remember which model Samsung he has, but it is 55" a 4K UHD.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think I have this on solid screens. It's vertical streaks. I bought it from Amazon and really don't want to mess with it. I don't notice it during normal movie/tv watching.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'm still happy with my 7 year old Plasma, no smarty pants stuff, just TV.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post