SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smoked Tri Tip Reversed Seared with Board Sauce...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoked Tri Tip Reversed Seared with Board Sauce... Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
Tickled 50 global warming degrees here in northern Mn. today so I thought I would drag the old stick burner out and feed my desires. Today it was prime grade tri tip steak or roast however you look at it. Here is the victim.

I dry brined it first for about 4 hours. Then just a bit of salt and lots of black pepper. Threw it on the smoker until it reached about 125 degrees internal. Here it is right about at that point.

Time to get the flame going to reverse sear that bad boy!

Earlier in the day I made a board sauce. Fresh herbs and minced garlic. A little lemon juice and some olive oil salt and pepper. While the searing fire was building I layed the sauce out on the cutting board.

Getting the sear on.

Once the sear is done you lay the smokin' hot steak on top of the board sauce. The heat from the steak really gets those herbs and garlic to release their flavor and aroma. The meat juices mix with the board sauce for a totally amazing taste experience!

This is one time you don't rest the steak. Start slicing right away to get all those juices to release so the can mingle with the board sauce.

Plated. I made some smoke roasted red potatoes and onions with a maple garlic seasoning.
Yeah it was pretty damn good!!

Terrible picture it got all washed out but my photography skills are entirely lacking at any rate. I made orange creme brulee for desert.

This is the third time I made steak with a board sauce. I'm sure you can do it with chicken or pork I just haven't tried it yet. This time i hit the flavor profile spot on. This was simply amazing!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Tri-tip looks delicious!

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My apologies I had to do a bit of editing!

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Looks great, as always!

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Dang, I am starving! Smile

Looks GREAT!!!

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely nailed it! I'm a big fan of board dressing, especially on the lean cuts. I first read about it when I picked up a copy of APL's book "Charred and Scruffed" several years ago. Also amazing with lamb chops! I haven't dragged the stick burner out yet, but I'm getting the itch!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
Absolutely nailed it! I'm a big fan of board dressing, especially on the lean cuts. I first read about it when I picked up a copy of APL's book "Charred and Scruffed" several years ago. Also amazing with lamb chops! I haven't dragged the stick burner out yet, but I'm getting the itch!

I have a 22oz piece of black grade (higher than prime) cap of rib eye in my freezer that I've been considering using with a board sauce. I don't want to over power that piece of meat but the board sauce married with the meat juices are just flavor crazy!

I've cooked some high end pieces of meat but that cap of rib eye intimidates me a bit! Eek

posted Hide Post
I'll come over with some high quality liquid courage, and we'll conquer it together! Wink

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I love tri-tip. One of the best cuts of beef IMO. Usually I use this dry rub and slow smoke it.

3 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon rosemary
dash of cayenne pepper

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Always like to see your work LMS.
As usual, looks great.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Looks delicious! I love the reverse sear for cooking meat, but since discovering sous vide have not used it any longer. Much more trouble and less ability to time the actual eating. I will have to try the board sauce though!

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Outstanding !! Razz
Well done !!
And a stick burner to boot, you stud
Where did you get prime?

I hit the "Morton's" from Costco about every week in my egg and find the flavor incredible, but the cut of meat; so, so.

If I could find the wet marinade recipe for that Morton's and with your recipe, I would quit working for the man, open a small "smoke shack", and make a lot of people happy

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1302 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I'd let you feed me anytime, that looks excellent.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Looks good... but where's the protection? Smile

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
Looks good... but where's the protection? Smile

I was wondering when someone was going to ask that. Funny thing is my FNP was about 3 feet out of the pic with the sliced steak on the cutting board. I never thought to slide it over into the pic. I was thinking EAT at that moment.
All my cooking/smoking is done in the man cave/garage about 20 yards from the house and right up against the woods.
I always have something with me when I spend the day out there especially when the garage door is open and I'm back and forth to the house.
We have quite a few bears in the neighborhood but I don't think they are out yet but this year I have seen wolf tracks about 50 yards from the garage.

I'm sure the smell of that smoker going all day puts some noses in the air that may show up as unwelcome guests.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
black grade (higher than prime) cap of rib eye

I'm not sure I even would attempt to cook something like that. I get mad when I over cook a steak. I'd feel horrible if I cooked that and it ended up medium well. I imagine that one piece of meat was close to $100.

Why in the world would you freeze such a piece of meat? Unless commercially flash frozen you will get crystals in the meat.

I pick up the meat I plan on eating the day of or day before. Only time I freeze anything is when it's entire roasts on sale and I can get a tenderloin or rib roast for more than 1/2 off. Then I cut into filet and ribeyes and freeze the steaks.

Is there anything special you do to freeze something like that? I'm slightly more comfortable now that I have a vacuum sealer, but I still only do it when the meat is a silly low price.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
black grade (higher than prime) cap of rib eye

I'm not sure I even would attempt to cook something like that. I get mad when I over cook a steak. I'd feel horrible if I cooked that and it ended up medium well. I imagine that one piece of meat was close to $100.

Why in the world would you freeze such a piece of meat? Unless commercially flash frozen you will get crystals in the meat.

I pick up the meat I plan on eating the day of or day before. Only time I freeze anything is when it's entire roasts on sale and I can get a tenderloin or rib roast for more than 1/2 off. Then I cut into filet and ribeyes and freeze the steaks.

Is there anything special you do to freeze something like that? I'm slightly more comfortable now that I have a vacuum sealer, but I still only do it when the meat is a silly low price.

I agree with you. Freezing is and would not be my first choice. The cap of rib eye is something I cannot source locally so I ordered it from Snake River Farms and it arrives cryovaced and frozen so it just went straight to my freezer.

I know it's crazy but I think that cut of meat runs around $120 a lb. They ran a special just before the Super Bowl and I posted about it here. If you picked 6 items from their list of specials you got 50% off your order which is what I did.

My plan for it is to do it pretty much like I did this tri tip but I think without the board sauce. Smoke and then reverse sear. Or I may just do it in my cast iron pan.

I take it out of the freezer once a week and just hold it close to my bosom for a minute or two! Big Grin

Just checked the black grade cap of rib eye is running $149 for 20oz.
Snake River Farms

Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
Wow, that looks amazing! I've never tried a board sauce, actually never heard of it but I want to try that bad!

I have a buddy that does competition BBQ and some of those Food Network contests and he got me a Snake River Farms brisket on his last order, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I have never smoked one that high in grade before and it came out so moist and tender, I couldn't believe how good it was.
I won't spend that kind of money on a regular basis but if you've never tried one before, I would go for it. If you're a rookie you may not want to practice on something that expensive.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post