SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Update: L.L. Bean scraps unlimited return policy, blames surging abuses
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update: L.L. Bean scraps unlimited return policy, blames surging abuses Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've stood in the line at Bean's since I live a few miles away and own lots of their stuff and occasionally there is an issue. What some people are willing to claim is just beyond belief. They want to rent the stuff no cost. Not a regular camper but have a chance to go with some friends, buy a tent, do 2 nights and then return it.
OMG. I hate the ethics of many.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to love the jerks that abused the return policies at EMS and REI.

I would buy all my "lightly" used climbing and backpacking gear at 50-60% off !!!

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Same reason a lot of us won't sell on Ebay anymore with their ridiculous buyer protection. They almost always side with the buyer no matter what and the seller can get stuck with return shipping costs too.

I don't know how these people can look at themselves in the mirror and be proud of who they are. I am guessing that the whole entitlement mentality and demonizing of corporations helps them justify that.

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
“A couple from ‘away,’ shall we say, was there to return a canoe, paddles, life jackets, tent, sleeping bags, etc., as they said with a straight face that ‘none of the items had met their expectations of quality,’ ” Kuhns said. “They went on to say that they had just purchased them two weeks earlier for their vacation in Maine and they had their receipt to prove it. The Bean’s representative, with the smile never leaving her face, took the receipt and gave them a full refund to their credit card.”

^^^Nothing screams abuse like this scenario. I'm surprised L.L. Bean waited as long as they did.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This is why we CAN have nice things, but have to pay more for them.

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
guess it's time to find another source. Too bad, since their Large Tall shirts were a really nice fit, and I haven't found another to replace them with.

Duluth is another option for large tall but their shipping is expensive too.

JCPenney carries a brand called Foundry that has good large tall stuff is cheap. Pretty much all my tops (large tall) are from these 3.

Penney’s offers free in store pick up which is nice as they generally don’t carry large tall in the stores and must order online.

Thanks for the suggestions. Since you buy from all three, how does the sizing compare? LLB's LT are a good-but-loose fit, so I'd hate to order something that is grossly oversized. The closest JCP is over 20 miles away, so I'd have them ship, same as LLB.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9154 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Same reason a lot of us won't sell on Ebay anymore with their ridiculous buyer protection. They almost always side with the buyer no matter what and the seller can get stuck with return shipping costs too.

I don't know how these people can look at themselves in the mirror and be proud of who they are. I am guessing that the whole entitlement mentality and demonizing of corporations helps them justify that.

Agree 100%. We had a large and profitable full time eBay business until they started screwing the small sellers.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Well, we still have Zippo, although only for its Windproof lighters.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I will continue to buy from them.

It is sad that a few have to ruin it for the many.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
lots of cheap people out there just trying to stick it to anyone they can.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There’s used to be a bedding retailer in the Bay Area called Strouds. My bro worked there. They had a similar no questions asked return policy. As long as the item was unwashed. You should have hear the stories of ALL kinds of body fluids and excrement that be returned on sheets.

Posts: 4760 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
That sucks. I have a down jacket that's a few years that the zipper broke on. Haven't gotten around to dealing with it since the one close to me closed a few years ago.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
lots of cheap people out there just trying to stick it to anyone they can.

“Cheap,” not so much, more like amoral.

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I love LL bean for their tall sizes and their politics.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
I used to love the jerks that abused the return policies at EMS and REI.

I would buy all my "lightly" used climbing and backpacking gear at 50-60% off !!!

Yes, the "garage sale" was unbelievable. Most of the stuff needed a cleaning or s zipper fixed and it would be fine.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised it took them so long to change their policies. I’ve read articles about warranty abuse for years, and some that specifically mentioned L.L. Bean.

And I agree that it’s not about being cheap. I suspect that a large percentage of that company’s customers are more affluent than average and don’t really need to save a few dollars here and there. They are representatives of generations of Americans who have been conditioned to believe that corporations are “oppressors” of the people—if not actually evil—and that they, the customers, are entitled to anything they can get from them.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder how this will affect their business in general. If 15% of their returns were considered abusive, that's one consideration. How many LL Bean customers in general justify paying higher prices for items because they are able to easily return them if there's a problem? If they sell a batch of shoes or pants that fall apart quickly after 13 months, could that drive lead customers away by harming the 'high quality' perception of the store?

Posts: 2365 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post