SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Update: L.L. Bean scraps unlimited return policy, blames surging abuses
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update: L.L. Bean scraps unlimited return policy, blames surging abuses Login/Join 
posted
Not a surprise here. People will really abuse this stuff. Here is the link, and story with pics:

https://www.pressherald.com/20...etime-return-policy/

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
REI did the same thing a few years back, for the same reason.

People suck.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
It finally got to the tipping point.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
People suck for sure.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Oh gee, what a shock. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heading into the Freeport store Friday morning, Charlotte Berry of Topsham said she was disappointed by the policy change.

“They’ve always stood behind their guarantee,” Berry said. “But I’m probably the reason they’re discontinuing it.”

Berry said she returned a pair of camp mocs last week that were more than 20 years old, hoping to have them re-soled. When she learned L.L. Bean doesn’t make that shoe style anymore, Berry accepted a $70 store gift card. She used it to buy a pair of winter boots, which she hoped to exchange Friday for something else.

You think, you megadumbassacil?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In much the same vein: GF works retail for Macy's. She says some Women will buy a dress for a special occasion, wedding, party, reunion, etc...then return it a few days later for a refund with the garment smelling of tobacco, or soaked with alcohol. Or worse, BO.

She passes them on to a manager to handle that headache. Dress is usually labeled as "Damaged", unfit for resale. Of course the cost is passed on to the consumers who shop Macy's.

GF has many interesting stories to tell me concerning Women and their buying habits.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What gets to me, is they are now charging shipping for orders under $50. I've been buying from LL Bean for over 20 years (mostly shirts), and there was a tremendous price increase across the board when they started the free-shipping policy.

I would order as many as three or four shirts at a time when they were on sale for about $10 each, pay one nominal shipping fee and be done with it for a while. After the so-called free shipping, even the sale price of their shirts meant I'd only order one at a time, paying as much for one shirt as I did for two.

I guess it's time to find another source. Too bad, since their Large Tall shirts were a really nice fit, and I haven't found another to replace them with.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
What a shame. A few screwing it up for the rest of us.

Still a great place to shop.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
REI did the same thing a few years back, for the same reason.

People suck.

Yup.

Shitheads would buy the item, use it hard for a couple of weeks and return it, getting all of their money back.

People truly suck.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I don't blame them.

The we bought our pet store it had a generous return policy. We inherited a small group of customers that would buy a bag of dog food or a bottle of shampoo, return it almost empty and tell us their dog didn't like it anymore.

We changed our policy to be fair to our customers and allow us to stay in business. Big Grin

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was, at one point. a "Preferred Customer" with LL Bean and had a card to prove it. I don't blame them for changing the return policy. And 6 bucks for an under 50 bucks order seems fair too.
My main whine with LL Bean is there appears to less and less men's clothing being offered and more and more women's clothing being offered.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I got that email today, and don't blame them a bit.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
People suck for sure.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/YOm6RJGNIG8

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
guess it's time to find another source. Too bad, since their Large Tall shirts were a really nice fit, and I haven't found another to replace them with.

Duluth is another option for large tall but their shipping is expensive too.

JCPenney carries a brand called Foundry that has good large tall stuff is cheap. Pretty much all my tops (large tall) are from these 3.

Penney’s offers free in store pick up which is nice as they generally don’t carry large tall in the stores and must order online.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of their waterproof hunting boots (forget the model name) that broke a hook style lace eyelet. I like them and contacted the Bean about repairs. They told me they no longer support the model but could return them for a dollar for dollar credit. I told them I’ll just keep the boots and do a lace wrap.

People do indeed suck. I overheard a couple in Goodwill looking at a pair of worn out Bean loafers; they were planning on buying them and returning them for a credit.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15574 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
In much the same vein: GF works retail for Macy's. She says some Women will buy a dress for a special occasion, wedding, party, reunion, etc...then return it a few days later for a refund with the garment smelling of tobacco, or soaked with alcohol. Or worse, BO.

She passes them on to a manager to handle that headache. Dress is usually labeled as "Damaged", unfit for resale. Of course the cost is passed on to the consumers who shop Macy's.

GF has many interesting stories to tell me concerning Women and their buying habits.

Wife works for a similar chain, same story.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
We found out this year that Lowes stopped taking returns of Christmas decorations on December 26th. Didn't matter if the decorations had a warranty or not. I presume its from asshats returning the decorations after using them for the season.

We bought 12 sets of LED strings in the fall and half of them failed by Christmas. So we went in to do an exchange as they have a 3 year warranty. They said no and to call the manufacture.

So, we called the manufacturer and they will be sending us 6 new strings in October when they start production up again.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The Free Shit Army gets bigger every day.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
It'd be interesting if there was a returns database that all the retailers shared to see how many professional-returners are out there.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post