SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alabama school bans Reagan, Coulter, Levin summer reading list
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alabama school bans Reagan, Coulter, Levin summer reading list Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
The summer reading list for Gene Ponder's AP Government and Economics class at Spanish Fort High School in Alabama is causing some trouble.

Mr. Ponder filled his list with books authored by conservatives -- and libertarians. I know – right? Imagine that - a conservative public school teacher! Sweet mercy, America! Miracles do happen.

Mr. Ponder’s summer reading list was a bonus assignment and included writers like Ann Coulter and Mark Levin and Ronald Reagan and Thomas Sowell.

For the past 10 years, he’s instructed the students to spend a portion of their summer reading just one book on the list.

It was voluntary, not mandatory.

They could choose from books like “God & Government,” “Black Rednecks and White Liberals,” “Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto,” “FairTax: The Truth,” and “48 Liberal Lies About American History (That You Probably Learned in School).”

In other words, Mr. Ponder was providing the children with an alternative to the liberal propaganda that has saturated public school textbooks.

Well, you can probably guess what happened soon after the reading list was posted. The flat-tax hit the fan, as they say.

One local resident actually called the conservative authors “terrifying.”

Gulf Coast News Today reports critics complained about what they called the “perceived lack of diversity of ideas, as well as whether it met the reading levels required for a 12th grade AP class.”

If those kids were reading Mark Levin books, they were more than likely reading well-above the Advanced Placement requirements.

“The slant on this list is inappropriate and unbalanced,” one person wrote on Facebook – demanding a “more rounded reading list for these developing minds.”

The Baldwin County Board of Education got wind of the controversy and faster than you can say left wing censorship – Mr. Ponder was ordered to pull his reading list and cancel the assignment.

“Mr. Ponder’s reading list that is going around on social media has not been endorsed by the school system,” Supt. Eddie Tyler said in a statement. “The list has been removed by the teacher. Baldwin County Public Schools has a process to vet and approve reading lists so that a variety of sources are used. I expect all employees to follow our processes, procedures and policies.”

Yeah, right.

Why do I get the feeling the controversy surrounding Mr. Ponder’s reading list was more about politics instead of procedures?

Next year Mr. Ponder should have the kids read my book – “The Deplorables Guide to Making America Great Again.” That ought to give the youngsters a jaw-dropping dose of reality.

I'd recommend memorizing the chapter on how public schools have been transformed into left-wing indoctrination centers or in some cases – reeducation camps.

Todd Starnes

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion...er-reading-list.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“The slant on this list is inappropriate and unbalanced,” one person wrote on Facebook – demanding a “more rounded reading list for these developing minds.”

Well, there ya go.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the teachers on the board can testify that nothing a teacher does goes on without approval by their school administrators. That he's been doing this for ten years means something.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Mr. Ponder’s reading list that is going around on social media has not been endorsed by the school system,” Supt. Eddie Tyler said in a statement. “The list has been removed by the teacher. Baldwin County Public Schools has a process to vet and approve reading lists so that a variety of sources are used. I expect all employees to follow our processes, procedures and policies.”

Yes... there is a process.
That's why all of the textbook writers lean to the left.

He ought to add Karl Marx to the list and say "See! Balance!"
They only have to pick one.
Well, I'd add Constitution of Liberty by Hayek as well....

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Tell them all to read Common Sense - the pinkos cannot complain about that

Posts: 5736 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Could understand this occurring in CA , but not AL.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Not literally "burning books", but figuratively doing so as the voluntary reading list goes up in smoke.

Are they so uncertain of their own beliefs that they cannot chance their children reading a difference of opinion and making up their own minds?

I read a lot of stuff that I didn't believe in or agree with in school. It's part of how I learned what I do believe in.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Could understand this occurring in CA , but not AL.

This ^^^^^. I lived in Alabama for a number of years, and sent my kids to school there. Times have changed, I guess!!

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Book banning. How Progressive.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
They are infiltrating every state and school.
RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Wow, somebody said something on FB, and somebody wrote an opinion piece hawking his book that he believes should be required reading.

That whole story is shit. It is pieced together innuendo so that the author can hawk his book. The schools did not ban a thing. This kind of bait and click bullshit is what powers FB outrage.

Guys, you do realize that this is an OPINION piece, and not actual news, right?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
A very interesting story nonetheless. From the "list" I find #18 particularly amusing.

In the article linked below are some amusing comments as well.

CNN Conservative Summer Reading List

"Inside the classroom, this is not the first time Ponder has incorporated his beliefs into the curriculum....The Baldwin County Board of Education Employee Handbook does not have a rule about teachers sharing political views with students or about incorporating politics into the curriculum. "

I find that a bit ironic.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Put up a list of "Banned Books" That include his list and others.. the kids will read all of them.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
Put up a list of "Banned Books" That include his list and others.. the kids will read all of them.

Banning books under the 1st Amendment is like banning certain firearms under the 2nd. But we've had this conversation.

CW

Posts: 3201 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Are they so uncertain of their own beliefs that they cannot chance their children reading a difference of opinion and making up their own minds?

EXACTLY this. It is indoctrination, not education.

Competing ideas? Nope, just ban them.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post