SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today, I bought body armor
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today, I bought body armor Login/Join 
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
I don't think this is going to get better before it gets worse.

What precisely are you concerned about getting worse and needing to don body armor for? Honestly curious to know.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2266 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Serious question: what sort of plates/armor make the most sense? .... or if zombies invade or whatever.

Bruh, biteproof stuff for the zombies. My scouting team has had good luck with that synthetic stuff they made for motorcycle riders. Any time we see a motorcycle shop we check to see if any of that stuff is still around and hasn't been looted. I guess we got lucky with the zombies coming in the spring and all, nobody wants that stuff now that it's August. Get a group together and go grab it now, before people start using it just to keep warm when the seasons change.

Riding jacket, riding pants, riding gloves are a bitch to hike and shoot in but they work. Keeps ya safe from the asphalt, keeps ya safe from the chompers.

Some of us run plate carriers over that but for the most part we rely on speed, so we wear old school no-plate load bearing vests and stuff.

Thought this thread could use a little humor Big Grin

Bruh! You operate!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
[I have an LBT chest rig, and it's top notch, so I'd have no problem going with an LBT carrier. But, if there are better ideas, I'm all ears.

I have an LBT carrier that I got on sale, usually at the major holidays. There is however a clone that has received good reviews. https://www.awsin.com/proddetail.asp?prod=52813

Posts: 9952 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I disagree with Jones on having an expensive rig set. I use the Conder defender one, since I do wear the 11X14 3+ with full spall. It does have shoulder padding, and after 12 hours its nice to have it off, but still, its wearable for 12. Though I am starting to think about trauma pads so I'm used to my full set up before I hit the road.

I work for a somewhat rural county, so a 308 isnt unheard of. I need to be able to stop it possibly. I would recommend looking at what your currant local is. What ARE the chances you are going to face a 556? Unless your an LEO, not many of us will be facing rifle rounds. I would never tell you to not get them, but I got both my full sets, full spall, multi curve with carrier for under 415. I did get a discount, but still, its under 500 for 3+ steel, like I mentioned earlier. I would not ever recommend soft or ceremic, as they can get torn through quickly. When my steel starts deforming, I'm going to have a lot more issues to worry about if thats happening.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
I have considered body armor but I didn't buy it, my position is that I'd rather be able to move with some speed than be a slow, armored target. It is one thing to buy it but are you prepared to use it?

I'm in pretty good shape for 55 yo, I giggle when I see some overweight person trying on body armor, they can't move now, how are they going to move with an additional 40-50 pounds hanging on them.

These questions are directed at EVERYONE who is considering body armor, not just the OP.

Are you going to walk around in it for an hour or two a day to get used to it? Can you sprint 25 yards in it, rest for a few seconds and sprint again without knee pain? What happens when you pick a day to wear it for 12 hours straight, are you even going to try this?

Body Armour is heavy, then you'll have your other gear to add to the weight, is your low back up to it.

Do you squat? Do you deadlift, bench, row, shoulder press, any weight training at all?

Sorry for being a dick but I think body armor for most people is a waste of money. Your time and money are better spent at the gym, or a weight rack, or on running shoes or a bicycle.

I work out a lot, using a plate carrier (weight vest). Since comfort is critical, I did not skimp on the vest, but getting 30% off sealed the deal. My only plans for this were to use it for working out, and it is set up at 20lbs, with front and back plates. The key was to keep it at 20lbs. It's a 5.11 TacTec plate carrier.

The plates I bought were 8.8lb steel plates, front and back, but just a flat piece of steel. My son started using it, so for Christmas I got him his own plate carrier.

I wanted curved, contoured plates, so after surfing the internet, I found some CADI Level III contoured armored plates, that weighed almost identical as the non-body armor plates. We only use them in front, since I'd have to buy 2 sets (they came in pairs). We still just use the flat plates in the back. But it is very comfortable, almost to the point you don't even feel it. And it breaths very well. My old weight vest sucked in all those areas. Cumbersome, sweaty, uncomfortable.

Do I need body armor? Probably not. But given what I was looking for, and the price and weight, I was sold.

Ceramic plates are very light. But my goal was to keep my plate carrier at 20lbs. And yes, although it drives my wife crazy, I do wear it around the house for hours at a time.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
To all you guys carrying extra body weight and looking at body armor:

Follow the buying advice in this thread. Let's face it. If you're carrying an extra 100lbs in belly fat you're not going to be anything but a speed bump whether you are wearing armor or not.

So what do you want to be? One of those speed bumps that you fly over and barely notice, or one of those massive mean bastards that do serious damage if not taken seriously?

From one fat bastard to another..do as much damage as you can.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
^ ...there are some weight vests that cost a LOT more than this body armor. Maybe one should view it as excursive equipment that could also save your life. Wink

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
quote:
I don't think this is going to get better before it gets worse.

What precisely are you concerned about getting worse and needing to don body armor for? Honestly curious to know.

I don't know. I missed the day they had the "Successful Prediction of the Future" lecture.

Seriously, take a look at the crap that is going on today. What do you think might be a scenario where you have to defend yourself or your family?

I live in the rural South. Not too much crap going down near me, but I have no doubt that they will find us too soon.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20317 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Kind of like carrying a gun. Or having fire extinguishers. Or insurance.

One can don a plate carrier w/ armor faster than you can put on your pants. Other than the weight and cost, there is no downside to putting it on for that bump in the night or the SHTF.

And people who don’t want it don’t have to buy it. Freedom Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Might want to start digging foxholes and try and get a hold of some mortar rounds if possible.

--------------------

Posts: 2266 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Don, it's no surprise at all that you don't get it.

We're all just a bunch of nine year old kids playing "army men" in the side yard of grandmama's house.

You guys may find this thread informative.

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying body armor for personal use. Nothing at all. I think about it every now and again but it is way down my list (a good generator is ahead of it).

All this talk about being able to run 100 meters with it on makes me laugh. It seems everyone assumes that everyone on the internet who is interested in firearms and self defemse is out of shape. And that they plan on moving from their home with all their gear if something happens. Personally my plan is to occupy a fortified position (my home) and not leave unless absolutely necessary.

I have worn all sorts of body armor and honestly I'm a little tired of it (does give you a somewhat comforting feeling when it's on though lol). But is does work. Someday maybe I'll pick up a plate carrier. Nothing wrong with having it around. Just like the generator I want but will most likely never use.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Trust me para when I say I definitely don't get it. When you think you need to wear body armor, or when a man says it's going to get worse before it gets better but then says he doesn't have a crystal ball for the future when asked to clarify. With his notion of not having a crystal ball you might as well dig fox holes and try to acquire mortar rounds and maybe Claymores. Sounds like some of you need to take a vacation and maybe turn off the television and interwebs for a while?

--------------------

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Dismissing someone who wants to protect themselves with body armor is the same as dismissing someone who carries a firearm for self defense. Or someone who makes sure they have a reserve of food, or water, or a generator. Or anyone who has a plan for a possible disaster no matter how miniscule the actual chance of said disaster is.

Why does wanting to be prepared make you paranoid? When I was a Boy Scout "Be Prepared" was a motto.

I don't have any fighting holes (NOT fox holes...) but I have checked the fields of fire from my home throughout my property and I know my lateral limits. Guess I'm a wanna be Rambo.

Oh, and if I could get a hold of some claymores I would.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'd just as soon get a ghillie suit and snipe the bastards before they get a chance to take a shot at me. Much easier to move in.

I've got everything I'll want or need right on my property, so defending it will be my only concern. Strategically placed booby-trapped pipe bombs, foxholes, a few tree stands, and me being a sniping SOB will take care of them until they over-run me and that may take some doing given my location.

If they are able to take me out, they'll live good for a year or two.

Posts: 20064 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Trust me para when I say I definitely don't get it.
Oh, there's no need for reassurances, but you need to get some more comedy material besides 'claymores and foxholes'.

Say, Don, by any chance, would you happen to have a carry permit and, if so, do you ever exercise your right to carry?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sweet Chuckie
posted Hide Post
It seems silly to poo-poo someone that is simply trying to cover a potential need. We all prep for any need we feel may come our way. I'm not bothered in the least if anyone can't see what I feel might be a potential problem. If it's my money covering it, it's strictly my business.

The area I live in is sparsely populated, with generally fine people all around. People living in crappy areas will have different concerns than I do regarding prepping. Cool!! While I don't have body armor, I would love too. I just piddle my money in other areas. Freedom is a cool thing....... Smile

Posts: 250 | Location: White Sulphur Springs, MT | Registered: December 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have any fighting holes (NOT fox holes...) but I have checked the fields of fire from my home throughout my property and I know my lateral limits. Guess I'm a wanna be Rambo.

Oh, and if I could get a hold of some claymores I would.

I'm glad to hear this, because I have as well and it really made me feel like I was going too far. Turns out, I'm not alone. Affirmation is wonderful!! Thanks!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20317 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm glad to hear this, because I have as well and it really made me feel like I was going too far.

As long as you don't leave range cards on the windowsills of positions you may occupy....(ahem I may just draw them mentally)... Wink

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
The company I work for offers a $300 re-reimbursement toward level 3 armor. You pay the rest.
I have been with them for 27 years and never felt the need for the armor, too hot,too heavy to wear all day and be constantly moving and hauling heavy stuff.
I'm all but retired now (work a few days a month) and now considering buying the armor while I can still get the $300 credit.
I'm 67 and NOT getting any more mobile, bad knees,2 bad shoulders, If I have to fight I will be fighting from a stationary position!
Best places to buy?
Best brands?

Posts: 4620 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post