SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today, I bought body armor
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today, I bought body armor Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Same here; closing on 50 and just wanted some emergency plates/carrier to have in the car or at home. If younger, maybe the curved lightweight plates to run the range in but alas those days aren't happening anymore.

Bought their $89 special. Might wear it occasionally for weight training. But I will have it for emergencies.

Posts: 1753 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Most likely it's the same group of gray haired fudds who shun weapon mounted lights and refuse to take lessons from military/leo on what works in combat/gunfight.
Of course it is. Heart rates haven't been north of 100+ in a decade, except after the Thanksgiving feast.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
Sigfreund, thank you for your rational reply.

To those taking potshots: shut up & grow up.

Maybe the only person getting armor is me. Maybe I can't run a 4.4 second 40 yard dash in it.

But maybe, just maybe, it will buy me enough time for my family to get to safety. If it also helps me get to safety a little bit later, great. But if it doesn't, I'm ok knowing my family is safe. Whatever else happens, happens.

You guys taking potshots sound like the snowflakes we laugh at all the time here. So smug sitting there in your basement pounding on the keyboard. You are the same type of people that would make fun of a person who buys a 22 rifle or pistol to provide defense for their family. Maybe they didn't grow up with guns. Maybe that was the initial compromise with a spouse that is extremely anti gun. Maybe that was just all they could freaking afford. At least they did something. For some that first step is pretty damn scary. But they did it.

Wouldn't it be nice if they stumbled into this mostly incredible online family and instead of snarky superiority they were welcomed with open arms and told: NO, you aren't crazy. There are a whole bunch of us here. Welcome...

99% of the time that is what happens here. But, all it takes is one snarky asshole to drive a person away. Who knows, if that person had stayed he/she might have been directly and indirectly responsible for hundreds of new enthusiasts. We need new blood today more than ever. A lot of that new blood needs to be converts or we truly will lose the battle in the long run...

Mark

Good post, thank you

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:

Maybe the only person getting armor is me. Maybe I can't run a 4.4 second 40 yard dash in it.

But maybe, just maybe, it will buy me enough time for my family to get to safety. If it also helps me get to safety a little bit later, great. But if it doesn't, I'm ok knowing my family is safe. Whatever else happens, happens.

You guys taking potshots sound like the snowflakes we laugh at all the time here. So smug sitting there in your basement pounding on the keyboard. You are the same type of people that would make fun of a person who buys a 22 rifle or pistol to provide defense for their family. Maybe they didn't grow up with guns. Maybe that was the initial compromise with a spouse that is extremely anti gun. Maybe that was just all they could freaking afford. At least they did something. For some that first step is pretty damn scary. But they did it.

Wouldn't it be nice if they stumbled into this mostly incredible online family and instead of snarky superiority they were welcomed with open arms and told: NO, you aren't crazy. There are a whole bunch of us here. Welcome...

99% of the time that is what happens here. But, all it takes is one snarky asshole to drive a person away. Who knows, if that person had stayed he/she might have been directly and indirectly responsible for hundreds of new enthusiasts. We need new blood today more than ever. A lot of that new blood needs to be converts or we truly will lose the battle in the long run...

Mark

Good post, thank you

And, a thank you from me, too.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:

Mark

Good post, thank you

And, a thank you from me, too.

Me as well.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
To Mark:

I "inherited" a plate carrier and a set of plates. 90% of the time it sits next to the safe, and the other 10% of the time I'll wear it while working out or cleaning around the house.

10 years ago I'd have said it was overkill, but times are changing.
And with it being so cheap nowadays - I kinda view it as "why not?"

Posts: 12541 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Serious question: what sort of plates/armor make the most sense? I'm pretty novice at this, but am interested to obtain a practical set up. I'm a paper-pusher, so it would only see use for range training and practice, or, if time permitted, as something to slip on to check out whatever just spooked my dogs.... or if zombies invade or whatever.

Thus far I think I understand:

Steel is heavy, but offers excellent protection against penetration, but should be paired with an anti-spalling solution and trauma pads.

Ceramic/composite plates are lighter weight, but can degrade over time and impacts can compromise further utility.

Some carriers permit "soft" armor to pair with plates for supplemental protection, provided you can handle the weight and bulk.

Armor gets heavy, and the rigs get heavier, fast, the more pouches and stuff you start packing on.

Better not skip leg day if one plans to be able to endure wearing a loaded up plate carrier.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I got a full set of Hesco level 4 on sale. They were affordable, thick, heavy, and held up to multiple hits during youtube tests.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
I am losing weight but due to work and my love of all foods, I am over weight often. I train. I practice. But I am currently incapable of completing an Ironman while wearing a PC not to mention even my normal EDC. I guess I should just stay home.

Thank you, OP for posting this- I am only 40 and most people would not view me as a target at my 6'7" 290lb frame. Still, not having plates/ Kevlar/ whatever has always been in my mind as a deficiency.

Also, Mark- I hope you don't mind my signature line update.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Serious question: what sort of plates/armor make the most sense? I'm pretty novice at this, but am interested to obtain a practical set up. I'm a paper-pusher, so it would only see use for range training and practice, or, if time permitted, as something to slip on to check out whatever just spooked my dogs.... or if zombies invade or whatever.

What I haven't really seen addressed in this thread is what should come first. An evaluation of both the expected threat level you are protecting against as well as anticipated use.

The right armor for a patrol cop is way different than for a soldier and different still from a home defense rig and still different from a SHTF rig with a bug out vehicle.

For home defense, the threat level likely is handgun/shotgun, so soft IIIA with a good trauma pad will do. Personally, I opted for a IV ceramic plate in front only (really helps with blunt trauma) backed by soft armor and just the soft armor in the back. I already had this though. For my wife, I set up a plate carrier with a III+ steel plate swimmers cut in front and soft IIIA in back, both backed by gel trauma pads for decent blend of protection that exceeds the likely threat level.

For a vehicle bug out rig, I'd do a III+ steel plate carrier.

For combat, I'd do the full soft armor, front, rear and side IV plates.

For a do-it-all bigger budget civilian set up. I'd go with a high end carrier and the level III UHDPE plates front, rear, and side. This would be the best blend of multi rifle hit protection plus light weight.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you add any protection for face and head?

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I would like to get a ratnik helmet, though getting one by sending money to a random Ivan isn't something I'm comfortable with. My COM is protected though, so that's something.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Do you add any protection for face and head?

Me or the OP?

For myself, generally, I think that is a bit much on the cost/benefit/time to put on, analysis. I do have a spare MICH helmet, but it is buried with other misc. gear.

However, here is what would tilt me personally in favor of setting up a helmet. Night vision. If I could afford it, a PVS-14 already helmet-mounted with an IR laser on the AR would be the primo HD set up.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:

Steel is heavy, but offers excellent protection against penetration, but should be paired with an anti-spalling solution and trauma pads.

Ceramic/composite plates are lighter weight, but can degrade over time and impacts can compromise further utility.

Some carriers permit "soft" armor to pair with plates for supplemental protection, provided you can handle the weight and bulk.

Armor gets heavy, and the rigs get heavier, fast, the more pouches and stuff you start packing on.

Better not skip leg day if one plans to be able to endure wearing a loaded up plate carrier.
One thing that hasn't been discussed is spalling from rounds striking steel plates can cause injury or death. The OP selected a kit that has a .26" base coat of anti-spall and there is a $29 option to increase anti-spall to .48".

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here's the thing. What do you want to spend? That is what this comes down to.

Body armor threads come down to cost, at the end of the day. Body Armor is just like the guys that say "I want a 1911 with a match grade barrel, beavertail, magwell, a good set of sights, undercut under the trigger guard, and I want it for under $400". Because it is "as good as" a Springfield Pro, all the same parts, right?

We won't argue those who want to be pedantic about "high end guns" or in this case "high end armor". I have been wearing plates and carriers since about the time it became the cool guy thing to do. We transitioned from "heavy" vests with a front plate, to some earlier style plate carriers, to a mixture of our own stuff, to London Bridge 6094s.

The carrier needs to be comfortable, whatever you choose. Good shoulder pads are a must. Those folks who say "I want plates and a carrier for when the SHTF" seem to write like they think that the SHTF is only going to take 15 minutes tops. If people are going to be putting on plates and carriers, you probably are going to wearing them for a while, and the ones that buy the $89.99 Earl Scheib special will regret it after the first hour. Poorly made and designed carriers absolutely suck to wear. The shoulder straps will cut into your shoulders after about 15 minutes. Those plate carriers have cummerbunds that won't help distribute the weight and cause it all to draw down on the shoulders. Any movement at all will cause it to be worse. Some of the potato sack carriers (they look like a potato sack with molle and plates in them) do not have any padding or air channels in them. If you aren't running stand alone plates, you MUST have the padding, or a backer that goes in the plate pouch. Otherwise, you take a round to the plate, and it will break something. Particularly a rifle round.

My recommendation is do your research, and purchase the best carrier you can if you are going to go with cheap (steel) plates. At a minimum, the carrier has to have either shoulder pads for the straps (or the ability to add pads), internal padding in the carrier, and at least a back air channel made into the carrier.

Plates go from less than a pound to nearly 10 pounds each. The steel plates have no shelf life, and you don't have to worry about getting them wet or if you accidentally drop them. The lighter composite stuff you have to be a little careful. You can find composite plates in the 4 pound range that offer decent pricing, and are pretty stable to exposure to shock and water.

Any carrier that doesn't come with the pictures of the padding inside, I would steer away from. I would stay with brand name carriers as well. The Crye JPC with a backer and steel plates would be my best on a budget suggestion. The Crye JPC is about $225 if you shop around, and then plates and backers are whatever you find them for. That is the cheapest I would go based upon wearing plates a few times per week.

Once the plates start to hurt you, you will be less likely to function in an already stressful situation, or you will just take the thing off entirely because it will be heavy and cumbersome.

Like I said, people want magic for little money and claim to be "on a budget". But, buying a Jennings .25 for self defense because you are "on a budget", and then arguing it is as good as a SIG P226 is in that same vein. The two pistols aren't even close, and only distantly can be put in the same category.

Skimp now, pay later.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Serious question: what sort of plates/armor make the most sense? .... or if zombies invade or whatever.

Bruh, biteproof stuff for the zombies. My scouting team has had good luck with that synthetic stuff they made for motorcycle riders. Any time we see a motorcycle shop we check to see if any of that stuff is still around and hasn't been looted. I guess we got lucky with the zombies coming in the spring and all, nobody wants that stuff now that it's August. Get a group together and go grab it now, before people start using it just to keep warm when the seasons change.

Riding jacket, riding pants, riding gloves are a bitch to hike and shoot in but they work. Keeps ya safe from the asphalt, keeps ya safe from the chompers.

Some of us run plate carriers over that but for the most part we rely on speed, so we wear old school no-plate load bearing vests and stuff.

Thought this thread could use a little humor Big Grin

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks jljones.

Link - https://www.cryeprecision.com/...le-plate-carrier-jpc

Lead time is 3-4 months.

This thread got me thinking about armor again, especially since I only looked at the unlikely SHTF event and not the more likely home invasion or other short-term usage event.

During a home invasion, will I have time to put body armor on, I guess that would partly depend on the size of the home and their point of entry.

Like the SigMonkey says, continual re-evaluation is good thing.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
Thanks jljones.

Link - https://www.cryeprecision.com/...le-plate-carrier-jpc

Lead time is 3-4 months.

This thread got me thinking about armor again, especially since I only looked at the unlikely SHTF event and not the more likely home invasion or other short-term usage event.

During a home invasion, will I have time to put body armor on, I guess that would partly depend on the size of the home and their point of entry.

Like the SigMonkey says, continual re-evaluation is good thing.

Hey look around at places like OPTactical, SKD, and other places. They often have the stuff in stock.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
Thought this thread could use a little humor Big Grin

You could also throw in the recommendation to buy the airsoft knock offs, with the dense foam imitation plates. Wink

www.opspectraining.com

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Here's the thing. What do you want to spend? That is what this comes down to.

Skimp now, pay later.

I'm willing to buy what needs buying, as long as it's reasonable/worthwhile to buy it. I don't want to pitch money away on stuff that doesn't have an advantage, but I want a useable and reliable solution. If I have to put it on for 15 minutes or 15 hours, well, I want something I can count on.

It seems that level III+ or IV steel with a thick anti-spalling coat and a trauma pad is what I'm after, since that configuration doesn't really have a shelf-life. I have an LBT chest rig, and it's top notch, so I'd have no problem going with an LBT carrier. But, if there are better ideas, I'm all ears.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post