SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today, I bought body armor
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today, I bought body armor Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Don't forget your helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, combat boots, wrap around eye pro, and gloves with hard plastic knuckles with the trigger finger cut off. Big Grin

And the beard, too. Gotta look like an operator if you're gonna operate.

Bite my ass! I already have a magnificent beard! Wink

Yeah, thanks for all the comments. I never intended for you to think I was turning into Tommy Tactical. At 67 years old, I will be largely a stationary target.

But, I also have auto, home, and life insurance, so there!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I have a plate carrier. and 2 curved polys. the steel is too heavy. heck the synthetic is pretty heavy as well.

waiting to lose weight before I get some safelite from LV NV. I think the soft would be more comfortable and usable!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

Bite my ass! I already have a magnificent beard! Wink

RMD

It's beard thread time again!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
After looking for a long time for the perfect bag/bandolier/sling pack/chest rig to grab for home defense I ended up with a plate carrier and ceramic plates. It's easy to throw over your head, holds anything you need, and provides cover to your organs. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but not much in my place gives real cover.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I'm also considering getting some. At 60 years old with bad knees I'm not going to be running anywhere no matter what happens, and with really nowhere to bug out to I figure I'll be hunkering down in place and defending. Level 4 ceramic isn't all that much lighter than level 3+ steel unless you go for the high tech ceramics that are waaaayyyyyy too expensive for my budget. They're also prone to breakage, which would be a Bad Thing when you don't have a gov't supply train to hand you a replacement.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took a look at the basic model (link), but didn't see any spall coating mentioned, is that already on there? If not maybe add a spall cover? I went with ceramic, but they are not designed for multiple-use, they start falling apart after the rounds hit.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a really nice one for a few years now.
For the SHTF day. Gas mask is nice too.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Mine is 32 pounds. Front, back, and side plates.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Did you armor up the rest of the family?

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I'm work on figuring what my wife would actually use.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I have a set from CATI Armor, and one from Spartan Armor. Both level 3+ curved at the 11x14 and 6x8. One weights 37, and the others... 34? The CATI is lighter as it is a swimmers front, which was suppose to be a shooters cut. Most people will find swimmers cut to work best. Only those of us who need hard steel armor will get why you want normal plates.

Also I'm 6'2 and 390. Trust me, when your in shape, you dont notice them. But then again, I havent been to the range yet with them. And when I go, I'mma take off my patches. Because no one at a public range needs to know. Those who know know.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got some rifle plates. Tactical Scorpion Gear III+ steel. At 6.5 lbs each not to bad.

They have some hybrid PE hard plates, that they list as III+ EXTREME, which covers most threats just under level IV, .30-06AP.

It covers the 5.56X45mm M193, M855 and M855A1. That's what I plan on getting it in the not too distant future, the steel armor will be then riding in the trunk of my car.

This is for SHTF and bump in the night. An insurance policy that I hope is never need.

I'm not tactcool, I'm a almost 50 year old dude that tries to be prepared. I have a modest stockpile of ammo, some emergency food and I train for self defense as best as I can on a budget.

The steel armor I have with carrier and all is 16 lbs., I have wore it around, and walked with it, I have even made a range trip with it. All doable even for a modestly in shape 50 year old dude.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AR500's level 3 plates in 10x12 are about 8 lbs.

their 3+LW plates are about 5.5lbs.

each

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I don't own any but I noticed a spike in sales on my Web store of these https://www.ncstar.com/perform...rigs/plate-carriers/

and I think it relates to the antifa type violence that continues to rise.
Until a few dead kids start hitting the pavement it will only escalate.

https://www.ncstar.com/search/%20plates/0/10/1

and student backpacks.

https://www.ncstar.com/perform...ith-ballistic-panel/

I sell them below MAP to members.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not that it’s limited to this thread, but one of the things I’ve identified as a result of reading it and similar discussions is a new type of logical fallacy: The I don’t want to do it, so no one else should do it either argument. The argument is usually made by someone who (obviously) down deep recognizes the validity of a course of action, but because of the expense, the trouble, the fact that they aren’t physically capable of doing it themselves, or—the most horrifying thought of all—because someone might make fun of them on the playground about being “tacticool,” they decide it’s not for them. Rather than just being content—and self-confident—with their decision that it’s not for them, however, they can’t resist mocking those who propose it.

Steel AR500 Armor is heavy, but it’s relatively inexpensive and effective against most threats anyone is likely to encounter. A couple of plates won’t break most people’s bank accounts, and if it turns out that they don’t use it as much as they originally envisioned, so what? How many of us here don’t have guns that we never shoot that cost far more than a couple of steel armor plates?

It’s good to know the disadvantages and other factors to consider about body armor, but another thing that always amuses me are the assumptions some people make about others. I suppose if someone himself is 150 pounds overweight and lives on a diet of sweet tea and bacon that he can’t imagine ever loading himself down with an extra 20 pounds and trying to walk across the street. But not everyone is like that.

I’m 72 years old and last week I ran a drill twice that I developed for my agency that required running 50+ yards before engaging small rifle targets, and then running from station to station another 70 yards while engaging handgun targets. All that was at an elevation of nearly 10,000 feet and while wearing armor and other gear weighing over 40 pounds (yes, I just weighed it all now). I was breathing very heavily when I finished, but so were most of the other participants in their 30s and 40s.

So, if I make assumptions about other people whom I’ve never met, much less know anything about their physical condition, it’s that they will make use of something like body armor to the best of their abilities. If it gives them a little extra peace of mind like the water filter they’ll never need or the MREs they’ll never eat, why would anyone else care?

And who knows? Maybe having some heavy armor themselves will motivate them to get into a bit better shape, or at least have more respect for those who wear it for a living. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
It's relatively inexpensive and takes seconds to slip on. After a 4am home invasion, I bought some too.

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Whatever their $89 deal was, I bought that years ago when my department was not buying us stuff. I used it and trained with it alot. This sunmer our department finally got us lightweight armor and there’s a big difference. But I’m used to the heavier plates and I will keep it for home use.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund, thank you for your rational reply.

To those taking potshots: shut up & grow up.

Maybe the only person getting armor is me. Maybe I can't run a 4.4 second 40 yard dash in it.

But maybe, just maybe, it will buy me enough time for my family to get to safety. If it also helps me get to safety a little bit later, great. But if it doesn't, I'm ok knowing my family is safe. Whatever else happens, happens.

You guys taking potshots sound like the snowflakes we laugh at all the time here. So smug sitting there in your basement pounding on the keyboard. You are the same type of people that would make fun of a person who buys a 22 rifle or pistol to provide defense for their family. Maybe they didn't grow up with guns. Maybe that was the initial compromise with a spouse that is extremely anti gun. Maybe that was just all they could freaking afford. At least they did something. For some that first step is pretty damn scary. But they did it.

Wouldn't it be nice if they stumbled into this mostly incredible online family and instead of snarky superiority they were welcomed with open arms and told: NO, you aren't crazy. There are a whole bunch of us here. Welcome...

99% of the time that is what happens here. But, all it takes is one snarky asshole to drive a person away. Who knows, if that person had stayed he/she might have been directly and indirectly responsible for hundreds of new enthusiasts. We need new blood today more than ever. A lot of that new blood needs to be converts or we truly will lose the battle in the long run...

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
One other use I have thought about is tornados, we live just below Tornado alley. I have vests with plates as well as lots for my family, they stop flying objects from entering the body...where it is a 9mm or glass shards or a 2x4....

Yes, when the sirens go off the armor goes on, we don't have a basement...most don't in NTX so it adds an additional layer of protection.

And yes, I have lived in armor enough to realize its limitations...carry a full sized pistol is not comfy all the time either but we do it.

Oh yeah, I also have numerous fire extinguishers, an alarm a sprinkler system...multiple stock FAK Kitsap it the house.

Are they overkill as well...maybe

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Most likely it's the same group of gray haired fudds who shun weapon mounted lights and refuse to take lessons from military/leo on what works in combat/gunfight.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post