SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today, I bought body armor
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today, I bought body armor Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
I don't think this is going to get better before it gets worse. Hope I am wrong, but one must hedge one's bets.

RMD

https://www.ar500armor.com/promotions-sales.html

No affiliation with this vendor.

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20320 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
When will you wear said body armor? Or do you plan on wearing it 24/7 ?

Posts: 11159 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The first thing that I'd recommend is look at this vendor, or another vendor and find some shoulder padding straps to put on it. I think Blue Force makes some add on padding straps. You'll thank me for this later. I've done the whole non-padded plate carrier straps before, and after an hour wearing the thing really sucks. My current generation carrier is a LBT, and I can wear it for hours before I start feeling it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
rduckwor, good for you. Once I get a bit smaller I too will be buying some.

It will be a nice addition to my car kit.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Good for you, certainly one of those items like a fire extinguisher or your tornado kit that you hope you will never have to use but if you do....

Shoulder pads were suggested....I bought these for my Paraclete carrier and they work well.

HSGI WAS/WEE Shoulder Pads - Coyote Brown https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010...cp_apa_EgxDBb6GEWWX7

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
When will you wear said body armor? Or do you plan on wearing it 24/7 ?

Only when fashion dictates. How about you?

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20320 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have considered body armor but I didn't buy it, my position is that I'd rather be able to move with some speed than be a slow, armored target. It is one thing to buy it but are you prepared to use it?

I'm in pretty good shape for 55 yo, I giggle when I see some overweight person trying on body armor, they can't move now, how are they going to move with an additional 40-50 pounds hanging on them.

These questions are directed at EVERYONE who is considering body armor, not just the OP.

Are you going to walk around in it for an hour or two a day to get used to it? Can you sprint 25 yards in it, rest for a few seconds and sprint again without knee pain? What happens when you pick a day to wear it for 12 hours straight, are you even going to try this?

Body Armour is heavy, then you'll have your other gear to add to the weight, is your low back up to it.

Do you squat? Do you deadlift, bench, row, shoulder press, any weight training at all?

Sorry for being a dick but I think body armor for most people is a waste of money. Your time and money are better spent at the gym, or a weight rack, or on running shoes or a bicycle.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Maybe they’re just getting it for something to throw on for a bump in the night check. Not everyone is trying to recreate the Expendables.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^
@roberth

Good points.

One should always consider what is a prudent pursuit in all things done.

There is no "one size fits all" in most anything in life.

"Open carry" may not be the best course for someone in a very busy area full of people, or it might be the best reason. Same can be said for a rancher or someone in the wilderness.

A small, low round pistol might be the best or the worst choice, circumstances dictate.

Same with a thing such as body armor.

@Skull Leader
But being dismissive, implying or inferring of another's decision is petty in such cases as Bob's post.

Anyone taking stock in self reliance, responsibility and continual exercise of judgement and what life's continual change brings to the game is a good thing, and we should all be so minded as to question, "What if...?"

Be well.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I tell you. Definitely spend some time wearing it.

Moving around under stress with the extra 20# is a lot harder than people think.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:I'm in pretty good shape for 55 yo, I giggle when I see some overweight person trying on body armor, they can't move now, how are they going to move with an additional 40-50 pounds hanging on them.

*Not directed at OP*

Yes, the range ninjas in full gear including 100 pounds of abdominal fat. Those guys are about 10,000 times more likely to die in a hospital bed due to heart disease than on the street because their gunfighting wasn't up to par.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I tell you. Definitely spend some time wearing it.

Moving around under stress with the extra 20# is a lot harder than people think.

It is.

During winter I'll walk two hours a couple times a week with a 20# weight vest. That'll work ya especially if you decide to do some sprints and/or steep hills.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
I giggle when I see some overweight person trying on body armor, they can't move now, how are they going to move with an additional 40-50 pounds hanging on them.

Hey... I'm kinda overweight, and I move just fine in body armor!

Think of it as additional padding underneath, to further cushion the internal organs and absorb some more of the blunt force trauma. Big Grin

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I definitely agree that most of us could stand to pay a lot more attention to our physical capabilities and conditioning, especially with extra weight. However I would like to add that there are several lightweight armor options that don't weigh 50lbs.

And if you want to see how well (or poorly) you move with some weight, just load up a backpack and do some hiking and/or running.

I don't have body armor but I could see myself purchasing the lighter weight composite armor someday. And while I won't be wearing it to the range every time looking like a tacticool neckbeard I do have plenty of miles carrying similar or more weight in a pack.

Here was a great thread with lots of armor options discussed:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/4430004704/p/1

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, the range ninjas in full gear including 100 pounds of abdominal fat. Those guys are about 10,000 times more likely to die in a hospital bed due to heart disease than on the street because their gunfighting wasn't up to par

I've always considered the first line of self defense and self preservation to be health.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
I giggle when I see some overweight person trying on body armor, they can't move now, how are they going to move with an additional 40-50 pounds hanging on them.

Hey... I'm kinda overweight, and I move just fine in body armor!

Think of it as additional padding underneath, to further cushion the internal organs and absorb some more of the blunt force trauma. Big Grin

Big Grin

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
I don't think this is going to get better before it gets worse. Hope I am wrong, but one must hedge one's bets.

RMD

https://www.ar500armor.com/promotions-sales.html

No affiliation with this vendor.

Better to have it than not.
When you receive this, would it be possible to give us an estimation of the weight with front and back plates? Thanks

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
They are heavy and do restrict mobility, my vest issued to me as a medic on our regional SWAT team has level IV plates front and back and is always with me in my vehicle for call outs. the other consideration for those that go the body armour route is they certainly change the way a rifle sits on your shoulder and if you don’t train with it your in for a big surprise when it comes time to shoot.
I’ve worn mine for many hours for training days and on call outs and am always aware of how cumbersome they are but I can also attest to when the adrenaline flows you forget your wearing it. We were on a call out May 2nd and it didn’t go as planned...when the building blew up and I found myself with 9 badly injured officers at my feet dragging them to the Bearcat I didn’t notice the extra weight at all.

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I'll check the weight on mine when I get home later. I have front, back, & sides. It's heavy to be sure. I figure if I need it things have gone very badly. Like many of the preparations we make, we hope not to ever need/use them. I doubt I'll be beating feet in it for a very long distance.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Don't forget your helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, combat boots, wrap around eye pro, and gloves with hard plastic knuckles with the trigger finger cut off. Big Grin

And the beard, too. Gotta look like an operator if you're gonna operate.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post