SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Northwest Angle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Northwest Angle Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
http://www.bbc.com/travel/stor...-land-lost-in-canada

I learn something new all the time. Was reading BBC 's travel section, when I came across this article about a remote place in Minnesota.

Its actually in Canada, wonder if any Sig Forum members have been there? I wonder if any Sig Forum members live there?

Very well written and interesting story about a place that is the northern most point in the continental USA.

Photo credit www.bbc.com

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
How about Point Roberts, WA? Same setup, ~35 drive to get to the next nearest US point.

Link

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've fished muskies up there before; it's interesting driving through Canada to get to Minnesota only to drive back into Canada to fish. All by boat. Had to call customs every morning and evening to let them know that you were crossing the border again.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Nit: It's not "in Canada." It's attached by land only to Canada, though.

IIRC, there's only one road in and out, and it has a video customs booth to both US CBP and Canadian BSA.

Yes, I knew about it via a rather funny route. When I signed up to Facebook I told them I lived in Mogadishu, Somalia. When I got tired of getting adverts in Arabic I told my wife "I have to move. I wonder what is the most remote place I can find in the U.S.?" She came up with Angle Inlet. So, as far as Facebook is concerned: That's where I live.

I plan to visit there, some day. (Haven't yet figured out how to deal with the firearm I'll have with me, though.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sorenson:
I've fished muskies up there before; it's interesting driving through Canada to get to Minnesota only to drive back into Canada to fish. All by boat. Had to call customs every morning and evening to let them know that you were crossing the order again.

If you were going by boat and never "landed" in Canada: That was not necessary. By both U.S. and Canadian law: Transiting Canadian waters does not constitute "landing."

If I recall correctly: You can even drop anchor in Canadian waters without it being considered "landing." But if you get out of the boat and touch bottom, or the boat touches bottom: That's considered landing. Then you have to report to both CBSA and USCBP. If a Canadian boat touches yours while you're in Canadian waters: Landing. You have to report. (Ironically, if the OPP detains you while you're in Canadian waters: That's a landing. Then you have to go ashore and report. Then report to the U.S. authorities on return.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
SigM4

I had noticed that on the map, but didn't know which point was further north.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
SigM4

I had noticed that on the map, but didn't know which point was further north.

Border at Lake of the Woods, 49.38 N latitude, border at Point Roberts, 49.00 N latitude.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I visited Pt Roberts by auto years ago; the locals didn't seem too concerned how perplexing it was for a day-tourist.

I didn't discover what the pros/cons might be for the locals in regards to their International Border crossing for virtually any travels on a daily basis.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Most people looking at a US map think that the upper tip of Maine is the farthest north--due to the nature of the conic projection typically used. However, that spot is only latitude 47.46° N, more than a degree south of the most northern point.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Looks to be mostly State forest with a couple of small communities on the northern shore. Not really any roads in particular except in the north part.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Most people looking at a US map think that the upper tip of Maine is the farthest north--due to the nature of the conic projection typically used. However, that spot is only latitude 47.46° N, more than a degree south of the most northern point.

flashguy

Yep, this one and the following are two of those geography facts I find interesting.

-When traveling from the Caribbean to the Pacific via the Panama canal you actually end up further East than you started. (and vice versa obviously)

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
Looks to be mostly State forest with a couple of small communities on the northern shore. Not really any roads in particular except in the north part.

If you're talking about Angle, ISTR reading it's mostly Native American reservation?

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
So if I decided to move to Pt Roberts on a whim and buy a home am I allowed to take my guns into Canada to get them to Pt Roberts?

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I drive across the lake and fish roughly a 1/4 mile from shore every march.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Saw a 20/20 (or some such program) piece about this place awhile back. Apparently the kids up there travel down to the mainland to go to school every day. An hours long venture each way.

Looks like my kind of place though...about as remote as you can get.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
I drive across the lake and fish roughly a 1/4 mile from shore every march.

I just knew there would be a Sig Forum member up that way.

I know I will never visit there, but the terrain? Hilly, flat, mountains?

美しい犬

There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
Flattish, taiga type terrain. Evergreen, birch

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
Flattish, taiga type terrain. Evergreen, birch

TY

美しい犬

posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this. Very interesting reading.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
I've been up there a few times. One of my co-workers has a cabin on the Angle (he bought a lot and moved a cabin by towing it across the border and into the Angle.) You drive into Canada, and then about 40 miles later you re-enter the US at a place called Jim's Corner by calling Border Patrol on a video phone and telling them you're going into the Angle. You call Canada when you leave the Angle. Seems like a hassle, but it's beautiful and the fishing is amazing.

Last I heard they were planning on a more convenient border crossing system for the Angle.

If I remember right there was one Deputy Sheriff (Lake of the Woods County) on the Angle who basically only works when a call comes in.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 583 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post