SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need advice... cross country auto transport
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice... cross country auto transport Login/Join 
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted
I need to move my car (Subaru) from Sacramento, CA to Cincinnati OH in the next few weeks. What do we like as far as auto transport companies? I've gotten a few quotes already and they are all over the place (the range is from just over 1k to 2500+). Covered or not? Is there really that much of a difference?

thanks fellas

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
I would check with your local auto auction company, I did a quick google search : https://www.adesa.com/Sacramento

They move a lot of cars, and may have a better price due to a empty return run.

Posts: 1295 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I come back from Jamaica Sunday. Don't have to be back to work til the next Monday Wink

How much is a 1 way ticket from Charlotte and a 1 way back? Add in some expenses and a couple of bills for a wedding gift and we're good lol.

I'm only half joking Big Grin

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Just looked...too much damn logistics in keeping the price down.

A one way flight from Charlotte to Sacramento, and a rental car from Ohio to Charlotte...that'd be below your 1k number...

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I bought a car from a member in FL and had it shipped to Sacramento several years ago.

I used DAS http://www.dasautoshippers.com/ because they did a lot of shipping for ebay. I liked it that they were actually a shipping company and not a broker.

There is a difference between Covered and Enclosed. Covered just means that the car is on the lower level of the trailer and the canvas covers have been dropped...the car is still exposed to the car above it.

A few things to keep in mind:
1. Take the insurance
1a. Inspect the car carefully when you receive it
1b. If they don't inspect before they take it, any damage is on them

2. Have it delivered to you, don't take delivery at their "yard". It will be dark and the car will be dirty...you won't be able to see everything...most yards are not in nice places. When they deliver it, they wash it first.

3. The suspension will need to be aligned when you get it

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
If you're still looking, shoot me an email with year make and model, as well as zip it's coming from and going to, as well as if you want it enclosed or open.

I ship cars around the country every week and can help you navigate it. Some of the cheaper carriers will pick your car up and put it in storage until they have enough cars going to the same place.. it's annoying as hell.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
In 2014 I had to get a Subaru from Philly to Phoenix. The car transport company started wiggling the numbers, delaying pick-up date. Finally, I cancelled, jumped in the car, and drove the 2400 miles in about 42 hours (10 hours of "breaks"). The flight back was about $400.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
If you have a relationship with a local dealer, check with them.

There's some bidding process out there for shipping cars where folks put in car, origin and destination and a preferred price and folks can pick it up. Dealers use them all the time, and in my case shipped a car in enclosed trailer from Phoenix to DFW for $700.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
There are several options - you might also check with a moving company - they may have a partial load going and could load you on the back end

go enclosed - not exposed to the elements, take the insurance and do a good pre- and post inspection.

I've shipped my cars from Summerfield NC to Merrimack, NH twice, and once from Merrimack to Tucson

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53180 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
DAS was used to move my Mustang. Believe me I was not comfortable. They had someone come to the house to pick up the car with a flatbed wrecker and take it to the yard - it was moved between states on a covered carrier (9mmepiphany explained), once it got here they had someone deliver it to me on a flatbed wrecker. The pick up/delivery people were very knowledgeable about cars and what they were doing. They used extra long ramps to ensure the car cleared. Car was fine. I instructed them to NOT wash it - I would take as is and clean it myself. In all I was very happy with everything DAS provided. As 9mme advised, insurance and inspections.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I cannot remenber the website but about 4 years ago I had a car shipped from Twentynine Palms, CA to Hyannis, MA. I was giving my nephew my '07 Ford Fusion for his 21st birthday. It was $932 bucks door to door, which I don't think is too bad considering that's a haul. I believe I found the carrier on one of the sites where you put the 'to' and 'from' and get offers. There were no issues. The driver did need to be paid in cash on the recieving end though, so I just sent my sis a check to cash to pay the driver.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Reliable

If you want to really take the sweat out of it, use a service like this. They haul all sorts of collectibles and exotics. Maybe a little more $$$, but professionals in every way.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
I used DAS

Me too. Three cars, shipped cross country. Went very well - delivered a bit ahead of schedule, even.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post