SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When you leave a door open so the dog can go out you let other things in
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When you leave a door open so the dog can go out you let other things in Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love mountain lion stories. We even have some around here. Tracks around here are seen from time to time. Wildlife folks deny it because it would be a can of worms for them to explain.

I absolutely love mountain lions probably my most favorite animal. I sure would love to see one in the wild but certainly not in this fashion.

I for the life of me cannot figure out why KY Fish and Wildlife is so hell bent on denying their are any wild mountain lions in the state.

With as well as black bears and elk have done in the state with direct reintroduction methods it is not out of the imagination a few lions have made their way from the west be it on their own or from folks that had them and they got loose or let them go for there to be a nominal population in the state that not even a century ago was home to many.

My grandfather tells stories of a couple of sightings and 1 encounter that he had in the early 40s living on the KY/TN line.
The closest encounter was when he was out coon hunting with his dog and carbide lamp. Up came a pretty nasty storm so he tucked into one of the numerous caves in the area. He lit up his lamp to give a little light in the cave to see two glowing eyes deeper in the cave. He slowly headed back out as the eyes started coming closer.
Probably not the best idea but he began to run. Out of the cave came a mountain lion probably pretty young as he said it was not much bigger than his dog.
The lion and the pup squared off cat took a couple swats at the dog and the dog went for the neck of the lion and it took off. Gramps says if it was a full size lion the dog likely would not have scared it off and the outcome would have been a little different as his little .22 would have been no match.

I had a squirrel dash in the house when I went outside to check the mail. Holy crap was that a pain. Can't imagine if it was a mountain lion. I certainly would not have been chasing it with a broom like I did the squirrel.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
They baited that lion.

Attractive nuisance?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm why SigForum can't
have nice things
Picture of Thayer
posted Hide Post
Sorry about their dog and too late now, but they make electronic doggie doors. Your pet actives it by the collar it wears. Of course it does not really matter anyway if there are cougars around. Just an FYI.

Posts: 9817 | Location: Heart of the Ozarks  | Registered: June 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I think of how much an average house cat can really mess up a human. Then, I extrapolate a 6-lb housecat into a 150lb lion. Eek

No, thanks.

And, I agree, they are more dangerous than bears (even Grizzlies). Lions are ambush hunters, so you likely would never even see it coming. A pistol or rifle is little use if a 150-lb lion leaps onto you from an elevated ambush site and knocks you to the ground.

We were hiking through a really lush park in Tucson (Sabino Canyon - only place there that had running water, IIRC). They had mountain lion warnings (meaning actual sightings) posted. My wife asked me "how do I know when a mountain lion is watching me?" I didn't say a word, but just took my right hand, extending my fingers like claws, and lightly raked them down her shoulder/back. It really creeped her out.

I then pointed out all the little children running around, and explained that WE had nothing to worry about. Lions would go for the small children; not the adults. Surprisingly, this didn't comfort her any.

Women. Wink

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened a few miles down the road from me back in August of 2008.

http://www.denverpost.com/2008...from-owners-bedroom/

A mountain lion slunk into the master bedroom of an Idledale home early Monday, snatched a yellow Labrador retriever and vanished.

Officers are hunting the mountain lion and have set a trap, said Jennifer Churchill, a spokeswoman for the Colorado Division of Wildlife.

“A lion that will brazenly go into someone’s bedroom . . . we need to be careful of,” Churchill said.

The dog’s body was found near the property.

Churchill said the residents had left open the French doors to their bedroom, apparently to cool the house, and didn’t have screens.

There were dogs sleeping in the bedroom when the mountain lion entered between 4 and 4:30 a.m.

Idledale, between Morrison and Evergreen along Bear Creek, “is definitely in lion country,” Churchill said. “It’s not unheard of for unattended or easy-to-get-to pets to be taken by mountain lions in areas from Boulder to Evergreen.”

Mountain lions are known to partially eat their kill and then cache it for later meals by covering it with leaves and pine needles, Churchill said.

<END OF STORY>

The picture below was taken 2 years ago this May by the school bus driver. Not in the picture is the dead mule deer she had just taken down.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
I think of how much an average house cat can really mess up a human. Then, I extrapolate a 6-lb housecat into a 150lb lion. Eek

No, thanks.

A friend of ours tried to separate two domesticated cats that were fighting. That was a mistake. One or both of them went for her. Tore up one of her arms right down to the bone in places!

I remember that every time I start thinking about how cool it would be to have a "full size" cat.

The daughters of one of my best friends are committed "dog people." The youngest one trolls my wife and I with occasional "dogs > cats" posts. We troll right back Smile

I was tempted, when reposting this story on FB, to add "Cats > dogs" and tag her, but, decided that would've been a bit heartless.

In the story I read on FB, it was written that the cat grabbed to dog and walked out. I noted "Not ran. Not sneaked. But walked. As if to say 'Who's gonna stop me?'"

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim777
posted Hide Post
I really want to meet a mountain lion, but I'm not sure I will be ok after this Big Grin

Posts: 6 | Location: Chicago | Registered: April 20, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

The lion and the pup squared off cat took a couple swats at the dog and the dog went for the neck of the lion and it took off. Gramps says if it was a full size lion the dog likely would not have scared it off and the outcome would have been a little different as his little .22 would have been no match.

Some other factors also. Lions aren't used to having their prey bite back. They're used to tiny or wimpy dogs quitting, not attacking. Trained hunting dogs will often take the offensive. Cats seem to know that an injured one doesn't last long in the wild. Most lions aare taken with 22s, but with time to aim if its treed. For its size its not particularly hard to kill. They prefer to win quickly and easily, not duke it out in a matched fight.

For 1967goat: I have a friend who lived on S Timothy drive up Conifer Mountain. A few years ago a guy walking his dog had a lion come after them in broad daylight. I assume its not far from you (he was at 9600'). They live where you are.

And its a good reason to have both you and your wife/walking partner armed. While its been stated the lion prefers the smaller target its probably used to having the other person/deer/elk run off, not stand and join the fight. I don't subscribe to the quick fair kill theory of sportsmanship. If the critter selects you, its perfectly fine to give it a shot or two in the gut or anywhere else it can be hit. Your adversary needs to know the fight isn't just to your death and that its going to pay a big price for dinner.

There are books that give photo views of various animal tracks. I have no Apache blood, but I sure like tracking. I even like seeing dinosaur tracks! Everyone should learn what wolf, bear and lion tracks look like.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I love mountain lion stories. We even have some around here. Tracks around here are seen from time to time. Wildlife folks deny it because it would be a can of worms for them to explain.
Michigan did the same thing for a long time, and as a result they had zero regulations/restrictions on them. They seemed content with their ostrich approach (aka head in the sand) to mountain lions / cougars until 2004 when someone hit one with a car (carcass not found so assumed it lived) and the DNA came back cougar.

Now, mountain lions / cougars are listed as endangered and is protected under state law.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
<snort>...awww what are you barking at no... AHHHH!!!

<bang>
<bang>
<bang>
<bang>
<bang>
<bang>
<bang>

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
There are vicious pumas in the crevasse!

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post