SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you get CSI fingerprint dust off clear poly finished cabinets?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you get CSI fingerprint dust off clear poly finished cabinets? Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
Long story, but I have some clear polyurethane finished maple cabinets that were dusted for fingerprints 4 years ago. I'm trying now for the first time to clean them. Soap and water hasn't worked.

Ideas?

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4 years is a long time. 1/4 teaspoon dish washing detergent to about a pint of water. Might have to +/- the detergent and/or the water.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Try wet sanding it with 1000 grit paper by hand.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Try wet sanding it with 1000 grit paper by hand.

If it was me, I’d be influenced to started with much finer than that, say 2-3,000 grit. Without pics, it’s hard to say and I’m not expert, but the poly finish directs my reply. In a former job, I had occasion to sand platics and 1000 grit was for surface leveling and we worked up to 3,000 grit before buffing to make it smooth. The thickness of the finish would dictate the best recourse. Likely, a bit of Flitz on a soft rag may just well do the job.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I'd try a little WD-40, test it somewhere out of sight first.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Who'd you kill?
Razz
Try Murphy's oil soap mixed with water. It's what I clean wood with. You may need to wet an old toothbrush and scrub a bit...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Fire. Lots of it. Than some more fire Wink.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a crime scene detective. I don't know about stuff that has been sitting for four years, but we typically tell people windex. There is also a product made specifically for removal of fingerprint powder. I looked online, but don't see it in any of the suppliers catalogs. It's called powder blaster or something like that. I'll look at work Sunday when I go in.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
^^^ I suspect it's been pushed into the surface of the poly now, which is why it's being stubborn.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
When I worked CSI I always suggested Windex or another cleaner that contained ammonia. Sitting there that long though I'd be concerned that it's actually worked itself into the finish.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Acetone

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
409 cleaner?

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Windex is what we told people after dusting, but after the fact and four years...its in the poly. Sand it with 2000 or OOOO steel wool.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I felt sorry for the people with property which I or our crime scene technicians dusted. Sometimes, I'd use the victim's paper towels, a little water and a dab of dish soap. Windex and just regular cleaning sprays work as stated above. Also, don't forget many powders are volcanic ash so be careful.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the suggestions. We haven't used the cabinets in four years, so it's interesting the dust works it's way into to finish without external force. I'll try the Windex first and work my way towards the more destructive methods.

I'll probably skip tbe acetone. I already had an unintentional experience with it on our dining room table.

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Scott's Liquid Gold

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a short version of a long story. Back in late '70's I was detective working auto theft. Had a gentleman come in early one morning crying and moaning that his new silver edition Pontiac Trans Am had been stolen. Seems he had picked up his "favorite" prostitute and spent night at a motel. When he awoke, his "favorite" was gone and so was his Trans Am. Fellow was adamant about prosecution, so I started all the paper work including affidavit that he had not given permission for her to drive vehicle, etc. The "favorite" was quite known by the squad and we had been wanting a solid charge on her for some time. Everyone in overdrive, APB put out, detectives checking informants and such. Later that day car was located, abandoned, with keys in ignition. I drove owner to the recovery scene (few blocks from the motel), it was indeed a beautiful vehicle, silver in color with SILVER LEATHER interior, however, owner then states he just wanted us to find his car and did not want to press charges on his "favorite". I actually think he got drunk and forgot where he parked his car and just made up story wanting us to find it for him. Anyway, before releasing vehicle to the owner, I told the ID tech "dust it for prints", (wink, wink)

Posts: 263 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Would something like automotive clay be worth a shot? That adheres to dirt and with proper lubrication, sticks to the dirt (and not the lube) and pulls it off.

Might be different pulling from off poly-finished wood, or course, but if I had some auto clay handy, I might spray a hidden bit of the affected surface with friendly lube (Murphy Oil Soap?) and try some clay.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magic Eraser?

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Remember those cars in the 80's that had their silver paint peel off in a short amount of time? Well I had a vehicle broken into over night and there was a nice fresh hand print on the roof over the driver's door. Perfect! grabbed the dust kit and got an amazing full right hand print. I applied the acetate hinged lifter and proceeded to pull the silver paint right off the roof. Oops, sorry.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post