SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying a replacement FOB and programming it.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a replacement FOB and programming it. Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
This past summer my son lost one of the FOB's for his 2013 Hyundai Sonata. I thought over time it would turn up somewhere in the house.
I can find rebuilt FOB's for his car on EBay but locksmiths that I have contacted so far want around $150 to program and cut the key. The car has the push button start, key will only open the door. Dealers wants $450. Any one know other options such as being able to program it myself?

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
About the same story here, no good advice though as I just ponied up the $150 or so to the locksmith and was glad I didn't have to get screwed by the stealership.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I went through this recently - Lexus.

Dealer wanted $300 for new key (programmed and cut). $200 to program / cut a key (bought outside the dealership) - or something like that. Didn't pay much attention to the latter pricing since I just bought a new cut key from the dealership.

I'm have a love/hate relationship with these key fobs.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the anti-theft part of the fob have to be programmed by a locksmith/dealership...I'm not talking about the "unlock your door" remote?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Doesn't the anti-theft part of the fob have to be programmed by a locksmith/dealership...I'm not talking about the "unlock your door" remote?

Depending on the brand/model, if you have two functioning keys, you can program additional. If you only have one, you have to go to either the dealership or an auto locksmith (the latter are usually much less expensive).

Posts: 2772 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same boat! I lost one to my jetski.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
On one youtube video I watched the company doing the new key also had to reprogram the old one. I'm thinking this will not be the case, or I hope it won't be the case.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I hate proximity keys. Just had one made for my '12 Maxima. The car only came with one key, and of course, we lost it.
$225 for the fob, $100 for on-site visit to program it. Locksmith used a programmer that went in through the OBD-2 port.
I feel your pain.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Buy from a reputable online source, or check feedback on eBay. Make *certain* your buying a new/virgin/clean/unprogrammed remote. (They all use different terms). Find an independent shop that will program it for you if the instructions are not on the web. I’m going through this for my Lexus too. My service guy said he’ll program it for $30. Lexus wants $270 + programming. I don’t think so.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I don't know the answer to you particular question, but I would find a Hyundai forum or search the internet thoroughly before you pay some one to do it. Many vehicles have procedures to program new keys that require no equipment at all.

--Might still be worth it to look, but I did a quick search and didn't turn up anything, so you might end up paying.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
With FOB Just about every car manufacturer is doing something a little different to a lot ot of difference in their procedure and procedure and FOB can change depending on years the cars were made. Be very carefull here I could tell you about some expensive lessons here.

quote:
Depending on the brand/model, if you have two functioning keys, you can program additional
Yes but also some have limits in the system of 4 keys Max that can be program.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Until we find a reasonable way to get this done, my wife has ordered a GPS unit to put with the current set of keys. When close, it will send out an alert that you can hear. If they are not close a GPS will put the location on a map. For now that will have to do. I will find a new/used FOB and get it programed and the key cut to fit.
Thanks for the responses.

Living the Dream