SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good day for flying (Real-time Worldwide Flight Traffic)

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Good day for flying (Real-time Worldwide Flight Traffic) Login/Join 
Member
Picture of Hobbs
posted
I'd be lying if I said I've never looked up and seen a high flying aircraft and not wondered where it was flying from or where it was flying to.

https://flightaware.com/ has an interactive map for all real-time flights around the world. Zoom in, zoom out, cursor around, click on a flight and find all sorts of information about the aircraft and flight.

Here in lower Alabama for example, it even shows all the Army Aviation Helo training flights out of Ft. Rucker.

Current flights over the U.S. ... well it was current a few minutes ago.

 
Posts: 4494 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
It was flightaware or equiv that has an app for the i-thingey. I downloaded it, used it quite often (it stopped working a year ago, maybe they want money).

Anyway, I love to see flights overhead, look at the direction, guess where they might be from - going to. Point the phone camera to the jet, the app will give you the departure/destination, flight number, type of jet. (I did have a volunteer nurse tell me that was a violation of national security).

It was kind of cool to be in Silicon Valley, see a jet going in somewhat of a south easterly direction, find out it was coming from somewhere in Asia going to LAX.




"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944
 
Posts: 30565 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
You should have seen it on 12 Sep 2001...


__________________________
"just look at the flowers..."
 
Posts: 1191 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Flight Radar 24 is another application that gives you similar information.

Although that traffic density looks like a lot, it's a drop in the bucket compared to pre-covid.
 
Posts: 5746 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I look at it from time to time. Seeing a jet pass overhead is rare in NW Montana. Anything we see is landing or taking off from FCA.



I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
...................................
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
...................................
Liberalism is a failure to find pathways to intelligence in your brain. - David Lawrence
 
Posts: 3065 | Location: Kalispell Montana & Florida’s Emerald Coast for the Winter | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
The FAA color codes them based on destination. They then use this display to help spread out compacted demand areas, so as to give the controllers an easier to manage and sequence flow of traffic. It's been a blessing to help increase safety and manage capacity. I used it back in the mid 90's as a traffic management coordinator on a daily basis. It was and is quite a valuable tool. The possibilities are almost endless when used with controlled departure times to help manage traffic as well.



"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM
 
Posts: 10130 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telling cops where to go for over 25 years
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mo4040:
You should have seen it on 12 Sep 2001...


Actually wasn’t much to see on that day. I very distinctly remember looking up to see the first plane in the sky after they opened it back up on the 14th or so. Was a strange feeling to see commercial airliners in the air again.

quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Flight Radar 24 is another application that gives you similar information.

Although that traffic density looks like a lot, it's a drop in the bucket compared to pre-covid.


FR is my go to, the paid version ads some nice features.






What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???


 
Posts: 9630 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
I've used Flightradar24 with good results. It shows you a vicinity map and all the planes near you. Click on a plane and shows you departure and arrival airports, current speed and altitude, etc...

It's pretty cool.

JP



"Alcohol: the cause and solution to all of life's problems" --Homer J. Simpson
 
Posts: 1908 | Location: Okie in Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have flightradar 24 on my phone and ipad. It's often the best data I have when an airplane I'm going to fly, is delayed. It's accessible all over the globe.

It's also a security concern, as are other services that provide real-time flight locating information.

quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Actually wasn’t much to see on that day. I very distinctly remember looking up to see the first plane in the sky after they opened it back up on the 14th or so. Was a strange feeling to see commercial airliners in the air again.


I flew both ways, coast to coast, prior to the airspace opening back up, during that period, and it was really something, not hearing another aircraft on the air, including flying in and out of the Washington DC area.

I heard an aircraft, approaching a west coast location, where an air intercept was happening, involving a light airplane that was airborne, and wasn't supposed to be.

The only aircraft up were military, or government flights, at the time, with almost no radio chatter.
 
Posts: 5746 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

...The only aircraft up were military, or government flights, at the time, with almost no radio chatter.


Did you hear any C-130s flying between Peoria (IL) and Albuquerque? Call signs may have been "Torch-xx." Two of our (169AS/182AW) planes flew to Kirtland on the 12th (maybe 13th) to pick a USAR Civil Support Team from training and return them to home station in Peoria.
 
Posts: 14811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I flew to Hawaii a couple of weeks after 9/11 and found the plane to be almost empty.

A couple of friends asked how I could fly so soon after and I told them that it was at least as safe as before 9/11 and probably safer.

Also, Aloha Airlines armed certain passengers with wooden chopsticks on that flight....I've still got them around here somewhere.
 
Posts: 5841 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:


Did you hear any C-130s flying between Peoria (IL) and Albuquerque? Call signs may have been "Torch-xx." Two of our (169AS/182AW) planes flew to Kirtland on the 12th (maybe 13th) to pick a USAR Civil Support Team from training and return them to home station in Peoria.


It's been a few years now, but we were up and going prior to that, and on the first flights, didn't hear anything. Dead quiet all the way into DC. And all the way back to Seattle. We got really busy for a while there, and gradually the air traffic began coming back.

I fly all over the world, including some very remote places, but even there, radio traffic exists. Not after 09/11. Eerie.

More so being on the ground and hearing aircraft over head, knowing that they were combat air patrols and tankers.
 
Posts: 5746 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telling cops where to go for over 25 years
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I have flightradar 24 on my phone and ipad. It's often the best data I have when an airplane I'm going to fly, is delayed. It's accessible all over the globe.

It's also a security concern, as are other services that provide real-time flight locating information.

quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Actually wasn’t much to see on that day. I very distinctly remember looking up to see the first plane in the sky after they opened it back up on the 14th or so. Was a strange feeling to see commercial airliners in the air again.


I flew both ways, coast to coast, prior to the airspace opening back up, during that period, and it was really something, not hearing another aircraft on the air, including flying in and out of the Washington DC area.

I heard an aircraft, approaching a west coast location, where an air intercept was happening, involving a light airplane that was airborne, and wasn't supposed to be.

The only aircraft up were military, or government flights, at the time, with almost no radio chatter.




A few days after, while there were still some restrictions going on, I took a call from some Air Force officer, asking if our helicopter was on duty (only police agency in the area with a helicopter at the time). Small aircraft, Cessna type was approaching Bremerton Navy yards and not responding to radio calls.

They had launched fighter intercept but they could not go slow enough to ID the aircraft. Dipshit finally answered his radio, guessing he had an interesting chat with the kind folks at the FAA






What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???


 
Posts: 9630 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
i was flying helicopter tours on maui 2 days after 9/11 because each pilot had call sign, issued discrete transponder code.
 
Posts: 1767 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I was working traffic at Denver ARTCC during the 9/11 events. With just a few lifeguard and military flights it was quit slow. It was a strange and erie feeling having so little to do. A rough time in our nations history.



"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM
 
Posts: 10130 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
https://globe.adsbexchange.com/

My favorite flight tracker for the last several years has been flightradar24.com, but I'd go to flightaware.com to get aircraft registration information I received from flightradar24.com

I still use those, but since I'm more interested in military aircraft tracking, I use the link above, which someone in this forum had turned me onto.

FYI, you will see countless aircraft in the air, and they are all color coded according to altitude. There are boxes along with right and top right with letter in them, and if you click on the box with the U in it, you will see only military aircraft.

There are some aircraft that have no model designation, but most do. There is an aircraft icon I see regularly in different areas of the country and the world, but it isn't ever designated. It flies relatively slow so I'm thinking it may be some type of drone.


Retired!
 
Posts: 842 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
I was working traffic at Denver ARTCC during the 9/11 events. With just a few lifeguard and military flights it was quit slow. It was a strange and erie feeling having so little to do. A rough time in our nations history.


As a "Center Weenie," you know exactly what I am talking about (I am a retired "window licker'). Looking at the TSD and only seeing little clusters of Blue icons over the various major cities/strategic installations was somewhat unnerving. Working in the DC area made it it more so.


__________________________
"just look at the flowers..."
 
Posts: 1191 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good day for flying (Real-time Worldwide Flight Traffic)

© SIGforum 2021