SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Executive order to curtail birthright citizenship of non-citizen children
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Executive order to curtail birthright citizenship of non-citizen children Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
I know this was mentioned in the Trump presidency thread, but it should have its own stage. This should have happened ages ago, and would go a LONG way to discouraging people from coming here to Drop kids and anchor themselves here. Now to get it permanently legislated... predictably,the left is losing it- bye bye new voter base!

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...rthright-citizenship

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15572 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You already know that the commies are going to shop for judges sympathetic to their cause. And, it will eventually end up in SCOTUS.

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
You already know that the commies are going to shop for judges sympathetic to their cause. And, it will eventually end up in SCOTUS.

There has never been a better time to try and get it reversed. Next step should be to tighten up the voting by non-citizen issue.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15572 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Not that I am against the concept, but where is the authority to do so?

US Constitution -

Article XIV
1: All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

How do you get around this by executive order? Is their a claim if you are here illegally, the child you birth is not "subject to the jurisdiction thereof"?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

US Constitution -

Article XIV
1: All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

How do you get around this by executive order? Is their a claim if you are here illegally, the child you birth is not "subject to the jurisdiction thereof"?

Thank you, that was going to be the topic of my post. Are we not walking down a slippery slope when the President can begin "lining out" parts of the US Constitution?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

US Constitution -

Article XIV

Thank you, that was going to be the topic of my post. Are we not walking down a slippery slope when the President can begin "lining out" parts of the US Constitution?

I believe that with some digging we will find this extends to those whose parents are legally in the United States such as diplomats.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
US Constitution -

Article XIV

Yes. That's the argument.
If you are here illegally, you are not "subject to the jurisdiction thereof". You haven't followed the process to make yourself "subject to the jurisdiction thereof".
If you argue otherwise, and focus exclusively on the "born" part, what is the purpose of the "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" part ot that sentence?
I think it's to prevent people from claiming citizenship for their children when they are clearly "subject to the jurisdiction" of a foreign country.

The intent of the drafters is important. It was to make all former slaves citizens, but not to allow any illegal alien to automatically make citizens of their children.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24107 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It’s a slippery slope indeed. But i’m not worried that Trump’s intent will stand. Just keep illegals out of here.

On the other hand, I am tempted to agree that children born of illegal aliens shouldn’t be US citizens. Tough luck, kid. But I don’t see the basis for denying citizenship in light of the constitution.

So the problem isn’t with the constitution, the problem is with letting illegals into the country.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

US Constitution -

Article XIV

I believe that with some digging we will find this extends to those whose parents are legally in the United States such as diplomats.

I don't think you will. SCOTUS ruled, long ago, Constitutional protections apply to everybody in the U.S., regardless of citizenship status.

If you think about it logically: It would have to be that way, otherwise, Constitutional protections being suspended, the government could do whatever it liked with anybody it asserted to be in the country illegally.

Trump's gonna get shot down on this one. Either somebody's not advising him well or he's ignoring advice.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Not necessarily. The Supreme Court has long recognized exceptions for border zones and ports of entry.

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
If you argue otherwise, and focus exclusively on the "born" part, what is the purpose of the "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" part ot that sentence?

That's the part about diplomats' kids and the kids of those who happened to give birth while in transit through American jurisdiction. Back before the days of the Jones Act, there was actually a pretty fair chance of a kid being born on an American-flagged vessel that was sailing from one non-American port to another. The big concern behind the "jurisdiction" part for many years was also about kids born into Indian tribes on reservations. Since the US has treaties with various tribes, they are in some legal sense foreign nations. Thus the famous Snyder Act of 1924, which was required to establish that an Indian kid born on the rez is also born an American citizen.

This is going to be a tough one. Not impossible, but very, very tough.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I guess this would stop the maternity tourism industry in Hawaii and California (and other states I suppose).

maternity tourism --- where rich folk from other countries come to the USA to give birth, such that the child has USA citizenship.

You have no idea how much this occurs, but trust me, it's out there.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10922 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The child born here is a citizen. The parents aren't. Boot the parents asses out. They can take the kid or not.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
If US citizens have a child born in another country what is that child's citizenship status?

Say the parents, whom are US citizens, are on vacation or legally working in Mexico have a child in a hospital in Mexico. What country is that child a citizen of?

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
If US citizens have a child born in another country what is that child's citizenship status?

Say the parents, whom are US citizens, are on vacation or legally working in Mexico have a child in a hospital in Mexico. What country is that child a citizen of?

Most (but not all) countries do not automatically grant citizenship just for being born there. Not sure about Mexico.

As far as US citizenship for children born abroad, the question is slightly complicated.

https://travel.state.gov/conte...ild-Born-Abroad.html

Basically, if one or both parents are US citizens, subject to some restrictions about the parents' past residency in the US that vary based on the parents' status, the child is granted US citizenship.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]US Constitution -

. . .
If you are here illegally, you are not "subject to the jurisdiction thereof". You haven't followed the process to make yourself "subject to the jurisdiction thereof".
. . .

This is nonsensical on its face -- how can someone be illegal if they are not subject to the laws of the jurisdiction? One cannot break laws one is not subject to.

You can't claim on the one hand that they are subject to the jurisdiction of the US and are illegal because they are breaking US immigration law, and then on the other hand say they are not subject to the jurisdiction of the US for other purposes.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
If you are within the physical borders of the USA you are subject to the jurisdiction of the USA. Doesn't matter if you are having a baby or robbing a bank, you are subject to US law regardless of your nationality or legal status.

The way to correct the problem is to secure the border, period. I don't want any President striking a line through the Constitution. We may like it today but I guarantee we will hate it tomorrow.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Really? The scads of illegals in prison in the US for violating US law would love to not be considered that they're not subject to the jurisdiction of the US. Anyone physically in the US for any reason is subject to it's jurisdiction (and sometime people outside the US also.)

It's not that the writers of the Fourteenth Amendment wanted to confer birthright citizenship to illegal aliens, they just never considered the issue (were there even any restrictions on immigration in 1865-ish?). So the language was expansive enough that it was retroactively found to grant that after restrictions on immigration started to be imposed.

Here's a question: When were the children of American Indians considered US citizens by birth? The Indian tribes have some legal status as independent nations (or did at one time.) But as far as I know, there children were (and certainly are now) considered US citizens. This being the case, the children of illegals would fall under the same status.

The only legitimate way to end birthright citizenship for the children of illegals, and in the end the only way that will be recognized by the courts, would be a constitutional amendment. I really hope this is the case, because if it isn't, it means the rest of the government can essentially repudiate any language in the constitution it doesn't like.

quote:

Yes. That's the argument.
I think it's to prevent people from claiming citizenship for their children when they are clearly "subject to the jurisdiction" of a foreign country.

The intent of the drafters is important. It was to make all former slaves citizens, but not to allow any illegal alien to automatically make citizens of their children.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

No, it is about slaves.

What I need to know more about is what "subject to the jurisdiction" meant to the drafters. If it is like being subject to the jurisdiction of a court (personal jurisdiction), that doesn't require much more that physical presence. I don't know if they meant something more.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Sadly that may have intentionally been left vague in order to secure enough support to get ratification.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
And immigration was very much on the minds of Congress at the time -- remember this was only a few years after the first real big Irish immigration wave -- you know, those dirty, drunken, degenerate, poor, illiterate disease-carrying, breed-like-rabbits Papist mongrels who would pollute the pureness of America and destroy the American way of life.

No, really, you should read the commentary and political cartoon of the time.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post