SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Intel i9 CPU ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Intel i9 CPU ? Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
AMD announced new 2nd generation Ryzen mobile processors last month. Some notebooks will be available with the new processors in the first quarter 2019. More are supposed to follow later in the year.

It looks like there will be significant improvements in the integrated GPUs, too.

I'm not sure how soon David needs the notebook, but this will change things.

https://www.amd.com/en/press-r...w-ryzen-athlon-and-a
I think some of the machines I have seen have AMD on board. Its really not a note book. M7720 is a pretty high end work station and would always be upgradable. Perfect machine for my programming school.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
AMD announced new 2nd generation Ryzen mobile processors last month. Some notebooks will be available with the new processors in the first quarter 2019. More are supposed to follow later in the year.

It looks like there will be significant improvements in the integrated GPUs, too.

I'm not sure how soon David needs the notebook, but this will change things.

https://www.amd.com/en/press-r...w-ryzen-athlon-and-a
I think some of the machines I have seen have AMD on board. Its really not a note book. M7720 is a pretty high end work station and would always be upgradable. Perfect machine for my programming school.
What I also found when shopping was that Ryzen motherboards are substantially less expensive than Intel based motherboards. Add the savings from the board to the savings from using the Ryzen CPU, and the total was quite nice. Then you can take the savings and plow them into faster/larger storage or an upgraded GPU. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I stick with Dell workstations and have had good luck. Two fixed 5810s (Xeon 1620s, 32Gb Ram, Quadro P2000s) and one 7510 Mobile with I7, 16GB ram, and Quadro M2000M.

I'm using Powermill, Powershape, and Creo. The Cam software always seems to be the bottleneck, or at least the most needy. I did a lot of testing in Powermill trying to pull the most performance. It mainly benefits most from pure processing speed when looking at a new machine. It only uses a maximum of 4 cores with any one toolpath calculation.

Some programs like Hypermill and Visi are written to utilize more multi threading but honestly I've not seen much if any improvements from the demos I've gotten with my files. Powermill is one of those that seems to be written to process pretty efficiently even though it's not utilizing all resources.

What softwares will you be using on it?

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I built my computer last month with an i9-9900k. Haven't seen as big of an improvement over my i7-3820k as I would have liked to see, but I haven't had an opportunity to do any real video editing with it. It's obviously faster, and runs more efficiently than the older chip, but not mind blowing.

I think there is also a limit to how Photoshop or Lightroom utilizes the CPU. Even when rendering previews or exporting, the CPU is only at like 30-40% utilization.

RAM memory and cache memory is a bottleneck for apps requiring lots of memory. More cores isn’t always a good thing either but for the average user you probably won’t see any benefit to more cores. Faster memory and more cache is king. Cache is king.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm enjoying my older i7-U in the ThinkPad, but do try to follow new tech so I'm better prepared when it's new purchase time.

I'm not really aware of what AMD is offering for notebooks, but for desktops their top tier ThreadRipper processor just blows me away.

Oh, And I have a 2GB R7 AMD video card in the old ThinkPad, and it runs just fine.

Happy to see AMD in the fight.

I actually had a system built with an Athlon 700 ghz processor back in 2000. Worked great.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
I stick with Dell workstations and have had good luck. Two fixed 5810s (Xeon 1620s, 32Gb Ram, Quadro P2000s) and one 7510 Mobile with I7, 16GB ram, and Quadro M2000M.

I'm using Powermill, Powershape, and Creo. The Cam software always seems to be the bottleneck, or at least the most needy. I did a lot of testing in Powermill trying to pull the most performance. It mainly benefits most from pure processing speed when looking at a new machine. It only uses a maximum of 4 cores with any one toolpath calculation.

Some programs like Hypermill and Visi are written to utilize more multi threading but honestly I've not seen much if any improvements from the demos I've gotten with my files. Powermill is one of those that seems to be written to process pretty efficiently even though it's not utilizing all resources.

What softwares will you be using on it?
For now its just for MasterCam U training. I have to look again at Gibbs cam also. The issue I am having are all the darn refurbed machines. They are not cheap and I cant accept opening a box to find even minor finish wears. I wont be buying anything until I am hired full time. There are some fine work stations on line but I need to know they are as new when that is stated. Some are just open box or over stock. Even though those are new, they still go to Dell for refurb. One seller in Canada has a whole warehouse of them.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’ve been out of the PC building loop since the single core days. Last one I built was an AMD 2500 Barton core. It still runs like a dream to this day on a tweaked XP install. Shame it won’t run current software. I got tired of the upgrade cycle and tapped out. When I need a PC now I just use my wife’s laptop.

Guess none of this is really relevant to the OP. Derp.

Anyway, I had occasional heat issues with AMD in the past but the savings and innovations they brought to market were worth a hot tower.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

I think there is also a limit to how Photoshop or Lightroom utilizes the CPU. Even when rendering previews or exporting, the CPU is only at like 30-40% utilization.

Are you running a dedicated swap drive? That made a pretty big difference for me. I'm thinking about trying a small SSD for the swap drive soon...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Not a bad idea. I'll try it out. My operating system is on an NVMe, data on an SSD. I have a third SSD that can be used as a dedicated swap drive.

I also have 32gb of RAM, and my system goes nowhere near using all of that.

I might just have unrealistic expectations. 3 frames, 24mp raw files (45mb each), processed into a single HDR photo probably takes 5-7 seconds in Lightroom.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the chip stuff can get pretty confusing because a lot of it depends on what you need to do. If you run a single thread application whichever has the highest clock speed is going to be the fastest but if you have a program or use pattern that supports multithreading more cores will benefit you more.

According to PC World right now for the money the AMD Ryzen is the better choice because you can buy a near equivalent CPU AND a Graphics card for what you'll pay for just the I9 CPU. Most of the differences between the chips are more academic than real world performance.

Unless you are a serious photographer, graphics artist or OCD obsessed gamer you can spend a LOT of money on computer hardware that you will never use all the performance of.

For me I'll just have to hope that my 6-Core Xeon will keep puttering on for a few more years ;-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post