SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Intel i9 CPU ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Intel i9 CPU ? Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
Anyone have the i9 yet ? Has it even been released ? I'd like to just hold one and admire it. Admiration for a chip...lol. Saw a laptop sporting the i9 and it is terrible expensive. What can it do over the latest gen 7 ?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imagine a bit of the difference between an i5 and an i7. It would be somewhat like that between the i7 and the i9.

Unless you have real processing needs, it will be overkill for most users. Those who are gamers will have good graphics cards on their systems that will give them more benefit than a CPU upgrade.

Posts: 2772 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Never buy the latest computer technology.

You'll greatly overpay, and be a beta-tester for them.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I9 processors are out.
They are targeted at gamers and high performance users.
Not to be confused with gen 9 cpus.
Gen 7-8 are common and gen 9 are just releasing.
Every tick they get faster but it is just one part of a system.
I9 was introduced in gen 8 cpus.
All good stuff.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

The most current is always more expensive but never say never.
Beta tester is quite over-simplified and not necessarily true.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:

The same can be said regarding cell phones and TV's. Wait a year or so and save hundreds.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
From what I've read and seen, Intel is continuing to cede ground to AMD (hence AMD's improved stock position). I think Intel rested on its laurels and brand recognition for too long, and AMD has taken advantage of it. Also from what I've read, the i9 isn't that great compared to the continual upgrades seen in AMD cpu's.

I just finished building a new desktop PC for a friend using a 2nd GEN AMD Ryzen 7 2700 processor along with 16gb of fast RAM and the thing just screams. With 8 cores and 16 threads, you can multi-task to your heart's delight.

And please don't take away from this that I am an Intel hater. They've made terrific processors for a very long time, but I'm thrilled to see AMD rise to challenge them with equal if not better processors at a lower price point. That heated competition will serve all of us (the consumers) very well.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I built my computer last month with an i9-9900k. Haven't seen as big of an improvement over my i7-3820k as I would have liked to see, but I haven't had an opportunity to do any real video editing with it. It's obviously faster, and runs more efficiently than the older chip, but not mind blowing.

I think there is also a limit to how Photoshop or Lightroom utilizes the CPU. Even when rendering previews or exporting, the CPU is only at like 30-40% utilization.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

The most current is always more expensive but never say never.
Beta tester is quite over-simplified and not necessarily true.

When I make long wordy posts/threads, people don't seem to jive with that, and when I make simple/condensed posts/statements, people don't seem to jive with that.

What do you want from me? Blood!?

I'd say that as generalizations of purchasing technology, I'm on point on this one.

If you want the new hotness, you'll pay. Period. More than necessary, period.

"Most people" don't need the powerful stuff. Tech fetishists, gamer nerds, and people who do actual work that needs the power, OK.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
From what I've read and seen, Intel is continuing to cede ground to AMD (hence AMD's improved stock position). I think Intel rested on its laurels and brand recognition for too long, and AMD has taken advantage of it. Also from what I've read, the i9 isn't that great compared to the continual upgrades seen in AMD cpu's.

I just finished building a new desktop PC for a friend using a 2nd GEN AMD Ryzen 7 2700 processor along with 16gb of fast RAM and the thing just screams. With 8 cores and 16 threads, you can multi-task to your heart's delight.

And please don't take away from this that I am an Intel hater. They've made terrific processors for a very long time, but I'm thrilled to see AMD rise to challenge them with equal if not better processors at a lower price point. That heated competition will serve all of us (the consumers) very well.
The heat issues with past AMD was why I always avoided them. Even the Xeon is said to be a potant chip. I've been looking at the i7 first and Xeon 2nd. For CNC work either is actually fine.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I built my computer last month with an i9-9900k. Haven't seen as big of an improvement over my i7-3820k as I would have liked to see, but I haven't had an opportunity to do any real video editing with it. It's obviously faster, and runs more efficiently than the older chip, but not mind blowing.

I think there is also a limit to how Photoshop or Lightroom utilizes the CPU. Even when rendering previews or exporting, the CPU is only at like 30-40% utilization.
That i9 9000 is a $500.00 addition to a computer. She spensive.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
My PC is now over 10 years old, I gave it more time with my SSD and hybrid upgrades, but at some point I'll have to get a new 'puter. I'm leaning AMD.

Arc.

Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
The i9 has been out for almost a year at least. My current computer is a build, and I have the i9-7980. I debated between that and the latest (at the time) Xeon. I don't buy/build all that often, so when I do I tend to get top shelf. Yes, I know I pay for it, but I figure I can squeak a few more years out of it that way.

I have no complaints. Performance is good. I do Lightroom and Photoshop as my high performance apps.

I also have 32GB RAM and a 2TB SSD that I got a heck of a deal on. I think it was mistakenly priced by Amazon, but they honored it.

Regarding heat, it is water cooled, which seems to work great. I was hesitant - you know, the whole water around electronics thing - but no problems.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
You are right Arc about the latest in tech hardware. Most of the i7 chips will do what I need but the entire machine has to have some capability. The Dell work stations are still my favorites and I've never played a computer game in my life. If I had to buy new a 7 or a 9, they'd likely be in the same price range.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
AMD announced new 2nd generation Ryzen mobile processors last month. Some notebooks will be available with the new processors in the first quarter 2019. More are supposed to follow later in the year.

It looks like there will be significant improvements in the integrated GPUs, too.

I'm not sure how soon David needs the notebook, but this will change things.

https://www.amd.com/en/press-r...w-ryzen-athlon-and-a

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
i9-xxxx's are about more cores coupled with unlocked multipliers and high turbo boost frequencies. They appeal to two types of users. Non-poor Benchmark/Gamer Junkies who overclock and like to compare numbers and Workstation professionals who make money by doing real computational intensive work (engineers, CAD, Video editors, etc), where time is money so the high cost is offset by the time/money saved. If you do not fit into one of these two categories, there is NO reason to get one. 90% of people would never see or know the difference between a 4-core and a 28-core cpu, because apps like MSOffice, and web browsing is never going to actually tax any modern higher-end CPU (i.e. i5, i7, i9. Even being a Game junky is stretching it, because you get much better framerates from <6 cores overclocked much higher. These 10+ core chips can be overclocked, but require extreme amounts of cooling simply because of the number of cores when running full throttle and never clock as high as the lower core count processors.

I myself have an i9-7900X (10-core) and the original i7-6950X (10-core) because I get them free to play with from work (R&D). I pretty much only play with these I9's, i don't do any real work on them. Currently my everyday computer on an overclocked Xeon e5-2699V3 (18-cores) and 128GB ECC RAM. This is the one I actually do work on.

i9's in a laptop format are pretty much a waste of time. While they will give you better benchmark numbers than a i7, in laptop forms, where the cooling is severely restricted, actual real day-to-day performance is hardly better because of the thermal and power restrictions that throttle the hell out of the CPU's in most laptops. Sure, plug it into a wall outlet, and it'll perform better, but remove the charger (as most laptops are used) and performance is generally indistinguishable from cheaper CPU's (all else being equal), while battery life is definitely also negatively affected.

If I were paying with my own money and actually needed more core counts for a "desktop workstation", I would steer towards AMD's chips. While they don't overclock as well as Intels, they "compute" just as good for much less cost. For a laptop, I wouldn't go past a mobile i7 CPU in a laptop unless there is a specific need because laptop usage is so constrained by the battery and thermals. The saved money is better put into the screen, DRAM, and/or storage type for a better laptop experience.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
AMD Fanboy here, never had an issue with an AMD.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
i9-xxxx's are about more cores coupled with unlocked multipliers and high turbo boost frequencies. They appeal to two types of users. Non-poor Benchmark/Gamer Junkies who overclock and like to compare numbers and Workstation professionals who make money by doing real computational intensive work (engineers, CAD, Video editors, etc), where time is money so the high cost is offset by the time/money saved. If you do not fit into one of these two categories, there is NO reason to get one. 90% of people would never see or know the difference between a 4-core and a 28-core cpu, because apps like MSOffice, and web browsing is never going to actually tax any modern higher-end CPU (i.e. i5, i7, i9. Even being a Game junky is stretching it, because you get much better framerates from <6 cores overclocked much higher. These 10+ core chips can be overclocked, but require extreme amounts of cooling simply because of the number of cores when running full throttle and never clock as high as the lower core count processors.

I myself have an i9-7900X (10-core) and the original i7-6950X (10-core) because I get them free to play with from work (R&D). I pretty much only play with these I9's, i don't do any real work on them. Currently my everyday computer on an overclocked Xeon e5-2699V3 (18-cores) and 128GB ECC RAM. This is the one I actually do work on.

i9's in a laptop format are pretty much a waste of time. While they will give you better benchmark numbers than a i7, in laptop forms, where the cooling is severely restricted, actual real day-to-day performance is hardly better because of the thermal and power restrictions that throttle the hell out of the CPU's in most laptops. Sure, plug it into a wall outlet, and it'll perform better, but remove the charger (as most laptops are used) and performance is generally indistinguishable from cheaper CPU's (all else being equal), while battery life is definitely also negatively affected.

If I were paying with my own money and actually needed more core counts for a "desktop workstation", I would steer towards AMD's chips. While they don't overclock as well as Intels, they "compute" just as good for much less cost. For a laptop, I wouldn't go past a mobile i7 CPU in a laptop unless there is a specific need because laptop usage is so constrained by the battery and thermals. The saved money is better put into the screen, DRAM, and/or storage type for a better laptop experience.
Thank you. The i7 is in pretty much every work station I have been looking at. The better Dells also claim to be better at cooling. And please, no gaming. Work station for work. Yes CAD Cam. No interest in gaming, none.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I make long wordy posts/threads, people don't seem to jive with that, and when I make simple/condensed posts/statements, people don't seem to jive with that.

What do you want from me? Blood!?

I'd say that as generalizations of purchasing technology, I'm on point on this one.

If you want the new hotness, you'll pay. Period. More than necessary, period.

"Most people" don't need the powerful stuff. Tech fetishists, gamer nerds, and people who do actual work that needs the power, OK.

Yes Arc we are in awe of your technology revelations. Eek

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Man, you're just no fun.

Arc.