SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lifetime for memory foam mattress??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lifetime for memory foam mattress?? Login/Join 
posted
How long can you expect a memory foam mattress to last?

Bought a Temporpedic about 15 yrs ago. Starting to get a little back ache in the morning.

Not sure if it's me, or the mattress??!!!!

Do they were out?

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say at 15 years, the mattress is shot. Most websites say either 7-8 years or 10 years for a tempurpedic, depending on which one you look at.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve always been told that unless you’ve injured your back if you repeatedly wake up with a backache that goes away it’s time for a new mattress.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know they say 15-20-25 years for mattresses, but considering you lay on it about 35% of the time, sweat on it, have sex on it, lay on it when you are sick and not feeling well... I'm fine getting a new one every 10-12 years.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
It’s been a long time but I saw a video showing how much nasty sweat and gunk a memory foam absorbs. If no protectively cover I wouldn’t go more than 5 years. But that’s just a guess and because I’m ocd on cleanliness.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yeah, I know they say 15-20-25 years for mattresses, but considering you lay on it about 35% of the time, sweat on it, have sex on it, lay on it when you are sick and not feeling well... I'm fine getting a new one every 10-12 years.

It's called Memory Foam.....because it remembers everything you've done on it!!!!!!!! hehehehehe

Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

It's called Memory Foam.....because it remembers everything you've done on it!!!!!!!! hehehehehe

This makes me want to start a fire. Question is, should I wake her up? Cool

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Do you weigh 100lbs or 300lbs? It matters.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quick method to determine if/when Memory Foam gives up.

Take a long ruler - 4ft or more. Don't have one - use a long scrap of lumber or molding.

Turn on edge and place perpendicular to your sleeping position. If you see a gap of great than 1/8" - then it's time for a new mattress.

This is the exact method that was used to send pictures to Tempurpedic for a warrant claim. They sent a new mattress.

We typically get about 8-11 years from their mattresses.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Good to know.
Ours (Tempurpedic) is only about 5 years, and we have a mattress cover on it as well.
Will have to do the ruler test next time we have the sheets off.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

This makes me want to start a fire. Question is, should I wake her up? Cool

I spent two hours at my wife's grave yesterday. She thinks I'm digging a koi pond.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
We've got a Tempur-Pedic mattress. I don't care for it, but my wife sleeps better. I'd rather sleep on our former heated water bed.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. Looked it up. Ours is 17 years old.
Boy they got pricey from them. Will probably get another.
Not sure how mattress shopping will be in our present state.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the time being, rotate it 180 degrees and that will help. I bought a Serta king sized hybrid for just under $2k with box spring about 4 years ago and am very happy with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
15 was too long on our Tempurpedic.

I bought a foam in a box mattress on Black Friday a couple of years ago. No way am I paying Tempurpedic prices ever again. Works just fine.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We replaced our 10 year old tempurpedic mattress a couple months ago with one of the sleep number mattresses with an adjustable frame. Costs about the same, but I like it a bit better (we felt several mattresses of both brands in their local stores before buying). When my back bothers me more than usual, it's nice to adjust the frame to ease back pain.

Posts: 154 | Registered: December 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Wanted a mattress on the cheap and got a purple.

I like it way better than my last which was a hybrid.

Wife loves it.

Its kind of like sleeping on jello squares. Took about 3 night to get used to it.
Love it.
For $3000 or so its tough to beat

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
i got a richmond from Denver mattress. I think it is a fifteen year warranty. But I went on thier site and there is no warranty anyhere. It developed a tear in the foam after 2 years and they replaced the mattress and gave me money back as the price has went down. so i have around 11 years of warranty left.

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:

Yeah, I guess all those adds on TV have paid off!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post