SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Okay bird lovers, what specifically is he?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Okay bird lovers, what specifically is he? Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
Captured this guy on our rear window sill tonight with my Canon SX610HS pocket digital camera (and while holding a cheap LED flashlight in my mouth for additional lighting Smile).

Interesting looking little dude. Sure hope he's alright. I expected him to fly away when I got close but he hung out instead which makes me wonder.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great Horned Owl (Hoot Owl). Looks like a young one. I'm no expert.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Looks like a screechy.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Looks like a screechy.

I concur...folks think they are called a screech owl from the sound they make (mostly true)...but it is also the sound YOU make when you say to yourself..."what a cute little creature" and reach out an extended finger while saying "hey little buddy, it's OK" over and over. (I watched this happen one night) Eek

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
Great Horned Owl (Hoot Owl). Looks like a young one. I'm no expert.

ARman

My opinion as well. They are pretty tame when they are young and have just left the nest. You can get very close even in the day time to take a picture.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Thought it might be a Northern Saw-Whet Owl, but the eyes are the wrong color. Here's "Tootsie"

DSC_9565.jpg
by David Casteel, on Flickr
at the Alaska Raptor Center in Sitka.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay bird lovers, what specifically is he?

That's an owl. Oh....you wanted more?

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It's a screechie.

A little fluffy ball of seething hatred.

It has come to eat your soul.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
It looks like an eastern screech owl to me, but our members Marzy and/or Screaming Cockatoo would know for sure.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://flic.kr/p/ZEEgff

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He might have hit the window chasing bugs. We had it happen about this time last year. Little guy sat there spinning for a minute or so then took off on his own.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Looks small for a baby horned this time of year. I'll go with Screech.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Specifically I think he is pissed that you interrupted his hunt

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Looks like he has cocktail olives for eyes.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Well, I got up a bit early today and went outside to check if he was still hanging around. I'm very happy to report he was gone, so he must have been fine.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I agree with the screech owl crowd. They are smaller than most people think an owl can be. There are red races and grey/brown morphs of them.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Looks like a little Screech. They don't seem to mind being around people. One watched me (and vise versa) one day for about ten minutes.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I have one of those little guys that hangs out on my backyard fence on occasion. Likes to taunt my miniature schnauzer.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I've had a screechie hen come and visit at our old house.
She'd sit on the deck rails and watch us.
So I put up an owl box and she blessed us with screechie babies every year for 9 years.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post