SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying land in Tennessee!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying land in Tennessee! Login/Join 
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all the well wishes and jokes!

We found out earlier this week that the county just south of our land has had sightings of cougars (the four legged kind). So that could be interesting.

I’ll need a bigger tractor for mowing! I want to build a berm at one end, which would give me 200+ yards from where the house will be for shooting.

And best of all, we’re paying cash for the land, so no debt!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, sounds like a nice property. Planning for what you'll want and need is half the fun. House and, more importantly, garage design. Where to situate the house and what way to face it. When I was going through these decisions, almost exactly 20 years ago, I had difficulty deciding where to site the house (and separate garage). I finally decided, only to have my builder friend question it as being too far off the road requiring a longer driveway and longer run for power. I stuck to my decision and am so glad I did.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Excellent!!

Mrs. Jones and I bought 16+ acres in Alleghany County NC last Fall (West of Sparta) and we placed an order for a 12x24 shed we'll use as a small cabin until we build permanently there.

I have it all spec'd out for solar, plumbing, electric, etc that will keep me busy once its in place.

Spring-fed water on the property but not near the shed so I'll need to fetch it when we are there.

Already have a utility trailer...

More stuff I will need to buy...

Zero-turn mower, log splitter, maybe a Mule-type utility vehicle...

Super exciting!

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaycat:
Im in Clarksville. We love it here. Escaped from CA Bay Area 3 yrs ago. My neighbor owns 32 acres your way. Nice country.

Cheers
Jaycat

My God daughter is currently career Army, stationed in Hawaii. She built and rents out her retirement home around the Clarksville area. I've got buddies who're all "on the job" and looking at Tennessee to retire. Some are looking at the North East corner of the state (Bristol?) and others are looking at a big community called Jasper Highlands.

I've got things narrowed down to Tennessee or South Carolina, but the wife just doesn't venture too far from family. And (dare I say it?) I'd be lost without her.

New York, and Long Island particularly, offer an awful lot! But low taxes and low home prices aren't 2 of those offerings!

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
Congrats...

Which state are you evacuating from?

After my mom is gone, we are looking at TN, FL or TX.

Illinois

Good call!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
Congrats...

Which state are you evacuating from?

After my mom is gone, we are looking at TN, FL or TX.

Illinois

Slam Dunk!

Congrats!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Bunch of snaggle-toothed redneck motherfuckers down there.

TN foreplay = "Hey sis. You awake?"

(Jus' funnin' with y'all. I was borned in Knoxville.)

I was in a bar once in Tn and a guy came up to me, said he'd like to introduce me to his wife and sister. There was only one girl there with him......

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve held off on announcing this until the permit for septic was issued. Got it tonight. We (Mrs Beltfed and I) are scheduled to close Monday on 9.3 acres total. Mostly rolling pasture along with one acre of timber. The land is approximately 20 miles south west of Clarksville. Water & power at the road.

We don’t plan to build right away. Helping support my 92 year old Father here, and there’s no way we could get him to move with us. Both of us are really looking forward to getting down there though!

Sounds like a great plan. My wife and I are thinking of doing the same. The only thing that's keeping us here is caring for her parents. In 10 years I can see us heading to Tn.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, according to a former boss of mine....

You haven't really lived until you wake up in Buck Snort TN with a girl with one tooth. You'll be a tad north of of there...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Having a piece of land large enough to build a range and play with the side-by-side has long been a dream of mine.

We’ll need some pictures when you get a chance.

Enjoy!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
You haven't really lived until you wake up in Buck Snort TN with a girl with one tooth. You'll be a tad north of of there...

Guy I worked with in Ohio once took a one-legged Amish girl home from the bar. Not sure which I'd prefer.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Hi all, I finely have some time to post some pics I took back in January when we looked at the land in TN. The deal is done. Working on getting an address assigned. The pics are mostly of the first half of the land we bought since at the time we hadn't considered buying the other half. We've also found out a few weeks back that cougars have been spotted on game camera's not far away. So that should be interesting....

Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
very nice. congrats

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Excellent!!

Mrs. Jones and I bought 16+ acres in Alleghany County NC last Fall (West of Sparta) and we placed an order for a 12x24 shed we'll use as a small cabin until we build permanently there.

I have it all spec'd out for solar, plumbing, electric, etc that will keep me busy once its in place.

Spring-fed water on the property but not near the shed so I'll need to fetch it when we are there.

Super exciting!

Visited Sparta couple years ago on my birthday. Really nice area.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Looks nice Bill

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is gorgeous. I am wanting to get some land in Tn. as well sometime in the couple years.

Are there any restrictions for building? How far is the nearest town/city for shopping/hospital?

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
We like it there a lot. Super quiet, nice people, beautiful area.

Just West is Ashe county: beautiful but busier and more expensive.

quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Excellent!!

Super exciting!

Visited Sparta couple years ago on my birthday. Really nice area.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our dream is to retire in the mountains of Tennessee, beautiful place!! Love your pics of your future abode!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
That is gorgeous. I am wanting to get some land in Tn. as well sometime in the couple years.

Are there any restrictions for building? How far is the nearest town/city for shopping/hospital?

Very few restrictions. No live stock (except horses), no single wide mobile homes, double wide ok if placed on foundation with wheels & axles removed, no campers set up to live in. That’s it.

Nearest city is 5 miles. It has groceries, restaurants, other shopping, and a very small hospital. It’s 20 or so miles to Clarksville.

posted Hide Post
My buddy move down there about 15 years ago. What was it. When he was looking at a place to buy, he was walking around the property with the realtor. He asked her if there was any ordinances against burn barrels for paper trash. Her comment, was we generally tend to mind our own business down here.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post