SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Meet "Flippy," the burger flipping robot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meet "Flippy," the burger flipping robot Login/Join 
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted
I'm guessing whoever works alongside this thing isn't going to look as cheery as the kid in the video.

quote:
The quick-service CaliBurger chain on Tuesday unveiled a new burger-flipping robot that it plans to roll out to more than 50 locations worldwide by the end of 2019.

Dubbed “Flippy,” the robotic kitchen assistant is the creation of Miso Robotics, an engineering firm specializing in “adaptable robotics” for commercial kitchens. The goal is to develop technology that can handle hazardous, tedious and time-sensitive aspects of cooking, from flipping burgers to frying chicken, cutting vegetables or final plating, according to press materials. [...]

“The application of artificial intelligence to robotic systems that work next to our employees in CaliBurger restaurants will allow us to make food faster, safer and with fewer errors,” said Miller [chairman of the Cali Group]. “Our investment in Miso Robotics is part of our broader vision for creating a unified operating system that will control all aspects of a restaurant, from in-store interactive gaming entertainment, to automated ordering and cooking processes, ‘intelligent’ food delivery and real-time detection of operating errors and pathogens.”

The chain declined to reveal the cost of Flippy, saying Miso Robotics is working with customers to determine the best pricing model. “The price will be in line with the productivity benefits Flippy provides to restaurant owners,” said a spokesperson.

Source

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Not good enough. Why is the "I want 15 dollars an hour for doing the job of a trained monkey" human still there? I want a burger made with no intervention by entitled children.

I swear to you that the first fast food restaurant that installs self service kiosks around here will get my business, and it will all be done entusiastically, in full view of the entitled children. I'll shake the manager's hand and tell them that as long as those machines are in the restaurant, they have my business. Make a big deal out of it. I'll take pictures while at the kiosk and tell everyone within earshot that I'm going to tell all my friends on the intarweb and share the photos on FaceFook.
I want to participate in the demise of these entitled little shits. I want to help make them understand that they aren't getting 15 freaking dollars for doing tasks that can be performed by people with a 70 IQ.

I'm serious. First chance I get, I'm making a big show out of it, and I'll keep coming back.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107564 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Not good enough. Why is the "I want 15 dollars an hour for doing the job of a trained monkey" human still there? I want a burger made with no intervention by entitled children.

Yeah, but who's going to clean the burger flipper and other equipment? You'll still need one kid to do all that.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's maintenance, not foodline. I don't want to see the first pierced lip or thousand yard stare from some know-it-all adolescent.

Maintaining these machines will require a skill, but oh, that takes effort, so let's just go get our misspelled picket signs and go stand in the parking lot to shout at patrons.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107564 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well I like to see humans at work, the idle mind is the devils workshop, no jobs, and you end up with inner city kids, bored on drugs, stealing, no opportunity, no desire.

Robotics is coming though and I get your point, can't argue against it, but the revolution is a shame isn't it. That we have people stuck in those jobs for life, for lack of whatever...

We know that these jobs are supposed to be temporary a starting point for kids in high school. Many cases its how they earn to get gas money, or pay for a car working off a loan to mom and dad.

Adding robotics for some things is good, maybe Rocky the Robot burgers will be better however you'll still need humans in the mix, even robotic plants have humans to manage the robots, and do the things that would be too expensive to have a million dollar robot perform.

One of the best things about Chic fil A is the good clean hard working kids, yessir, nosir, yes'm, no'm, thank you sir, please, can I help you, all the basic core education responses that lead to a good productive person. Yeah I go there for more than the chicken, it's seeing young enterprising hard working kids that I like even more.

At $15 an hour, robotics to reduce human staffing is inevitable, and in a way, a shame that we need to go that way, not sure that eliminating all low paying starting jobs with robotics will encourage better responsibility for that segment of the US that just doesn't get it.

But it's coming, the tech industry is going to attempt to AI everything, Hal......

Posts: 23433 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Union bosses and union lawyers who riled up the workers all new that this would happen. They were only interested in furthering their cause!
To them it was never about the workers.
Hell the jukebox what's more intricate and that's been around since the 50s.
The problem is when people working at these places feel as though they should make a substantial living when it's really only intended for people to get some job experience and move on to something more lucrative.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
What's the ROI on that thing? I'd expect it to be a fairly expensive item, so it needs to do way more than invert meat patties to make it a worthwhile investment.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
The way that Para describes the millennials is dead-on accurate, but I place the blame for their shitty attitudes SQUARELY on the parents' shoulders.

I wish the entire forum could meet my 22-yr-old son. I couldn't be more proud of him. Everything he owns he EARNED by working and saving and budgeting his income. He started working odd jobs, saved his money and paid for his own driving instruction so that he could obtain his DL when he was 16 yrs old. Since then, he's held three jobs, and has been promoted at each job. He's been paying room & board since he graduated from high school, he's set to graduate from the university this June, and he will graduate with NO DEBT.

From a young age, I taught him that if he wanted something, he needed to get a job, save his money, and eventually purchase it himself. This has taught him to be extremely responsible, AND he has self-esteem because of EARNING everything he owns.

It is no surprise that the kids whose parents GAVE them everything their hearts desire have turned out to be so immature and ungrateful. They have no perspective - their mommies and daddies have always given them anything and everything they ever wanted - why would they be grateful? Are any of us grateful for the air we breathe? Only if we experience an environment where there is no air to breathe would we suddenly be grateful for it. Perspective.

People with kids my son's age have asked me how he turned out the way he did, and when I tell them, they reply, "Oh no - I love my kid too much to make him EARN everything like that." Not wanting to offend them, I just keep my mouth shut, but I think to myself, "If you really LOVED your kid, you'd encourage him to be self-sufficient. You'd experience the discomfort of worrying about him when he was out there on his own, but you'd let him work through it so that he might mature and become a man - instead of a dependent." But this philosophy is foreign to the parents of today - at least here in Liberal California.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's certainly going that direction. My first "real" job (once I retired as a paperboy and no longer had to get up at 4:30 in the AM) was working at McDonalds when I was 14 years old. It paid great, $1.35 an hour, and I worked variable hours. I was damned glad for the money and for the job, even if I did hate it most of the time.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
What's the ROI on that thing? I'd expect it to be a fairly expensive item, so it needs to do way more than invert meat patties to make it a worthwhile investment.

The ROI is pretty low, a robot doing that is pretty cheap.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
One of the best things about Chic fil A is the good clean hard working kids, yessir, nosir, yes'm, no'm, thank you sir, please, can I help you, all the basic core education responses that lead to a good productive person. Yeah I go there for more than the chicken, it's seeing young enterprising hard working kids that I like even more.

Can't argue with this.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post