SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sure was a lot of work for 1 little speaker
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sure was a lot of work for 1 little speaker Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Yes, I am well aware this is no audiophile setup. But it sure beats the 17 year old factory setup with blown speakers that sounded like a swarm of angry mosquitos.

While I would have much preferred to use the Alpine Double Din unit I have sitting in the closet installing a double din unit in this truck is $150 in install parts alone (does not include any electronics only the plastic parts to modify the dash) and once still has to hack up the inside of the dash to bits to get it to fit.
Being this is just a beat around pick up truck I looked for cheaper options to be able to add a backup camera and speakers.
Crutchfield was having a nice JVC sale so for $160 I got this backup camera capable head unit, 2 pairs of speakers, and all of the wiring harnesses needed for head unit and speakers along with trim kit and speaker install plates needed delivered to my home in 2 days! Then bought a camera on Amazon for $20.
Got the head unit and 3 of the 4 speakers installed and it actually sounds pretty dang good and the speakers aren't even broken in yet.
The 4th speaker is a bit of a pain to install as this is a 3 door model truck so for the driver rear install I have to pull the rear seat and the driver side cab wall panel. It is too hot to being doing that at the moment.
Also need to finish running the camera RCA to the rear of the truck will be easy an there is a grommet in the drivers floor board with wires that already run to the rear so I just need to run it along there and we'll be golden.
Then just tap the camera into the trailer wiring for power and reverse and we are golden.
Also just learned I earned $11 in Crutchfield cash for my purchase so I guess that will go towards some 6x9s for the van.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
New speakers alone can make a huge difference. Glad you like it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Sure wish this thing had 4 doors instead of 3. Mainly because buckling in the boy behind the drivers seat really sucks.
But to install the rear speaker I had to remove the rear seat, seat belt. and side wall panel of the cab. The other side just opened the door removed two bolts and pulled the panel off.
But it is done.
Now just need to run the wires to the rear of the truck for the camera. That will wait for another day as the heat is upon us.

————————————————

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yep, I R&R'ed some in my car three months ago.

I hate interior work.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
Love projects like this. Nice rewards. So does that seperate tape deck work with the new head unit? Always laughed at that design GM did starting in the iirc new body style of 1987.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rangeme101:
Love projects like this. Nice rewards. So does that seperate tape deck work with the new head unit? Always laughed at that design GM did starting in the iirc new body style of 1987.

No. They make a little cubby to replace the deck. I'll likely run a charging cable and Aux input into it and have little spot for the phone to sit and air S not be all over.

————————————————

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
so does your new rig have the cassette adapter or the 8-track adapter?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
so does your new rig have the cassette adapter or the 8-track adapter?

Neither. Went to the upgrade CD, DVD, USB, and AUX input.
The tape deck will be removed for the little storage cubby eventually.

This thing is rolling like brand new. New A/C, new belts, tensioner pulleys, idler pulley, and universal joints.
Got some LineX work to be done to cover the rocker rust and it should be simple maintenance on this baby for many years to come I hope.

————————————————