SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So you think you know how to detail a car...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So you think you know how to detail a car... Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
Nah, you're a hack Razz , and so am I when compared to these guys. Simply incredible work. It also doesn't hurt they're doing one of my favorite cars of all time. Enjoy. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I guess I need to refine my carbon fiber detailing skills. Oh wait - no I don't!

And my skills on a couple year old $1.3MM car with 3,000 miles on it. Oh wait - no I don't!

Technically that was a repaint. I admire the skills and the financial commitment of someone to the process.

Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't a good wash and wax enough? I enjoyed watching that, but cannot imagine that kind of perfection. I wouldn't dare take it out in to the rude, rude, public like a normal car.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
So my Lowe’s bucket and some dawn soap is frowned upon?

That’s a beautiful paint job.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
The owner doesn't need to wash and wax; he just has the car repainted whenever it gets a little dirty.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I like it a lot too big deal. Beautiful car.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My most expensive detail was a car that was in LaSalle coupe Harlem nights. The owner had passed. His wife turn his car collection into a shrine of sorts.

Cira 2009ish

La Salle in the film

That's it from the movie.
I billed 89 hours for inside and out. it was about a 2.5 week job. The actual time on sight was about 3 weeks or 120 hours. I took off the testing phase. The car had 3 types of nearly perfectly matched paint. What sucked was all the chrome. It had fine pitting. So it was polished a fair deal by machine, then by buffed by hand. Insane amount of work.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've noticed over the years, I've learned to appreciated Porsche and it's many models and iterations. The 918 is bad ass.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Technically that was a repaint.Razz
Ignore the repainting of some of the panels. A few years ago I decided I needed to expand my detailing knowledge and learn how to wet sand and perfect paint. So I bought a dark blue Ford Taurus hood from a local salvage yard to practice on. No way was I going to use one of my cars to try that. Smile I divided the hood into four quadrants (so if I screwed up, I could move to fresh paint) and I got after it. I only managed a decent amount of success on one of the four quadrants, and that quadrant wasn't anywhere near good enough to please me. I can't begin to tell you how easy it is to burn through the clear and the base coat on compound corners like that car has everywhere. These folks have mad skills.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Technically that was a repaint.Razz
Ignore the repainting of some of the panels. A few years ago I decided I needed to expand my detailing knowledge and learn how to wet sand and perfect paint. So I bought a dark blue Ford Taurus hood from a local salvage yard to practice on. No way was I going to use one of my cars to try that. Smile I divided the hood into four quadrants (so if I screwed up, I could move to fresh paint) and I got after it. I only managed a decent amount of success on one of the four quadrants, and that quadrant wasn't anywhere near good enough to please me. I can't begin to tell you how easy it is to burn through the clear and the base coat on compound corners like that car has everywhere. These folks have mad skills.

I remember watching a detail video a long time ago and the guy had a tool that he could hold up to the paint and see the thickness of the clear. That’s how he knew how much he could polish it.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember watching a detail video a long time ago and the guy had a tool that he could hold up to the paint and see the thickness of the clear. That’s how he knew how much he could polis

Pretty basic tool. Too bad you can’t just hover it over the paint while you’re polishing it and have an alarm go off. You know, like when you burn through that junkyard Taurus hood!

When I say basic, I mean for people that are making corrections on abused paint. I’ve been tempted but never bought one. But I’ve also probably never had any of my paint exposed to raw air due to constant layers of wax over a decent polish and sealant.

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Too bad you can’t just hover it over the paint while you’re polishing it and have an alarm go off. You know, like when you burn through that junkyard Taurus hood!
Burning through the clearcoat with a rotary is one thing, but wet sanding is truly an art. Even sanding carefully with 3,000 grit paper, you can blow through the clearcoat in a heartbeat. And I'm sure you know what the solution is to correct that kind of screw up.... Wink

I once had a neighbor come down to my house begging for help to correct a screw up he'd committed (i.e. a man with no detail experience who took a rotary with a wool bonnet to the hood of his wife's Lexus and totally destroyed the finish). I gave him the contact number for a good local body shop and told him to go visit them to have them wet sand and then re-clear the hood. That was about a $600 rookie mistake. Oh, and his wife lit him up big time, and banned him from ever touching her car again. Eek

posted Hide Post
I've set sanded a lot of guitar bodies and necks and you constantly have to fight the temptation to use a larger grit or to sand just a little more. You've got to pull back, check your work and slow down. You're always just one little mistake away from burning through the clear coat.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3523 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
That’s quite the job they did. A lot more than just a detail. Beautiful car.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Beautiful autobody work and detail work.

I grew up with a father in autobody. Over the years he painted a few show cars and even a few cars that are in museums. Even in his prime, it would be 12+ months in between doing it as it was so much work and the owners were pains in the ass. Dad wasn't one to shy away from hard work either as evidenced by one time he sawed two cars in half to make one daily driver.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Isn't this the car model that the guy from "Fast and Furious" killed himself with?

If so as I recall hearing this car has ferocious power and light weight. Must be something to drive one.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Isn't this the car model that the guy from "Fast and Furious" killed himself with?

If so as I recall hearing this car has ferocious power and light weight. Must be something to drive one.

HK Ag

No, that was a Carerra GT. This one is a 918, and it's a hell of a lot faster.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

No - that was a Carrera GT. The car above is a 918 Spyder, a hybrid. An economy car, in fact, for the 12-18 mile all-electric range at least!

I pulled into the service bay at Porsche of Plano a few years ago and a GT was sitting there. When writer was through with me I walked over to it, he was puzzled and asked if I'd seen one before. Told him sure, but I'd never had one given to me as a loaner and really appreciated it!